FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Musicians: I need help naming a song

Author Topic: Musicians: I need help naming a song
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so the other day I heard this song (not on radio) being played that sent off so many bells in my head, but I can't figure out where it is from. It might be from a cartoon or something from when I was a kid, or it might be a famous tune. Don't know. Anyways, as soon as I got home, I spent awhile on my bass figuring out how to play it. I figured it out. Now I need the name of the song. I'll list the notes here, and if you could play an instrument, could you play it and see if you recognize it? I'd be eternally grateful to you if you could figure it out. And if you play guitar or bass and you're better with tabs, I'll write that out too, just ask. Here it goes, these are the notes:
4:4 A B C D E C E (half second pause) D# B D# (half second pauses) D Bflat D (half 2nd pause) A B C D E C E A (on a higher octave than the other A) G E C E G

That's about it. This is probably a futile attempt, but I need to know where this song is from. It's driving me crazy. Most people will probably know this if they heard it, so if you can play an instrument PLEASE try to play that and see if you recognize it. Thanks.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm parsing that correctly, it seems like it's "In the hall of the mountain king" from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg.

Listen to the 7th track sample on this page and see if it sounds like what you heard.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

If it is that, then you've heard it in cartoons, video games, commercials...the list goes on and on.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a kid in my AFJROTC class who used to sing "Do you know the muffin man" to the tune of "In the Hall of the Mountain King". It was pretty freakin' hilarious at the time, but now I can't hear the music without hearing "Do you know the muffin man, muffin man, muffin man, do you know the muffin man who lives on Drury Lane?"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

[Smile]

Now the darn tune is going to be in my head all night. [Razz]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

You are amazing!

That's really weird because I've never heard the name of the song, at least I don't think I have, but apparently I heard it before because it's definitely familiar. Thank you so much.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

No problem. [Big Grin]

Like I said, it's been used in countless video games and cartoons, not to mention commercials (I think it's used in a commercial now, though I can't remember what for). My favorite memory of it is from an old, old video game called Alpiner.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan [Hail]

I'm impressed.

I was trying to hum it, and I must've done a really bad job...

Sadly, the link didn't work for me, so I couldn't hear the tune.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I will be able to sleep tonight! Well actually now I will probably be humming it all tonight, but at least I won't go crazy trying to figure out where it's from. What cartoon used it? It's probably where I've heard it. I haven't heard that tune since my cartoon-watching days so it's probably where I've heard it.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Should I delete this thread now that I have the answer?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
you don't need to.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

*enjoys the worship*

[Big Grin]

Megan
Member # 5290

Here it is as a ring tone.

Oh, and as much as I'm enjoying the worship, bear in mind that I'm a music major, have been for 9 years, and teach music theory that usually involves components of music history--all of which involves recognition of melodies. [Big Grin]

Megan
Member # 5290

As for what cartoon, I couldn't tell you for sure; I just know it's one of those ever-present classical tunes that have been co-opted into ALL sorts of pop venues.
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
The tune was also used in a Church MIA musical comedy sent out to Stakes in about 1969, I believe. The words used were "In the home the father's king, managing everything . . . " Does anybody else remember that? By the way, I got it from the listed notes.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
now I can't hear the music without hearing "Do you know the muffin man, muffin man, muffin man, do you know the muffin man who lives on Drury Lane?"

Great. Now you've got me doing it. [Grumble]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.