FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a new nephew...and questions about breasfeeding (Ela?)

Author Topic: I have a new nephew...and questions about breasfeeding (Ela?)
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
...neener neener neener. [Big Grin]

Justin Robert was born this morning around 11:00. He weighs 7 pounds and 5 ounces. Mom & baby are both doing well. Yay!

He was scheduled to arrive by C-section on the 20th, but my sister woke up this morning and "didn't feel well" (she thought she was getting the flu!), so she called her doctor, who ordered her to the hospital. [Big Grin]

He came VERY close to sharing a birthday with his mommy--her birthday is tomorrow! And my older sister's birthday was the 8th, so we have birthdays three days in a row now. [Smile] I'm hoping to go to the hospital tomorrow to meet him and give my sister her birthday present--which is DEFINITELY going to pale in comparison to the arrival of her son. *giggles*

This is the fourth kidlet, and my third nephew. Kidlet #5 is due to arrive sometime within the next month (or thereabouts), so you'll be seeing another one of these threads soon. [Smile]

[ December 10, 2005, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, congratulations. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. *gasp* I don't!
Bob! Dana! Get to work!

--Enigmatic
(the odd part is I made pretty much the same joke on sakeriver earlier tonight)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Bob & Dana would make some darn cute babies. [Big Grin]

Just saw some photos of Justin. He's so cute! He looks like his daddy. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

I went to the hospital today to visit and give my sister her birthday presents. [Smile]

Didn't get to see Justin. [Frown] He's got some fluid in his lungs, so he was in the transitional nursery for monitoring. He's breathing fast, but getting plenty of oxygen, so that's good. I googled it, and it looks like this normally clears up in about 24-72 hours, so I'm not too worried.

My sister is lucky enough to be in the 1% of women who get spinal headaches. [Frown] She looked down when I first saw her, but seemed to enjoy our visit. I just talked to mom, though, who talked to Lori on the phone a little while ago, and Lori was sounding a bit depressed. [Frown] The headache's REALLY bothering her, plus she has a roomate now with a crying baby, which isn't helping. It also sounds like she's missing Justin, which is totally understandable.

Lori had planned on breastfeeding to save money, and both my mom and I think she may be down because she can't start Justin breastfeeding while he's in the nursery. She didn't get to start Avery with breastfeeding right away, so they had lots of problems with it and eventually gave up and used formula. I know it's important for babies to latch on pretty quick after birth (and she IS pumping), but I am wondering if it's possible for her to manage to get him to breastfeed if she starts him after a few days. I'm just really hoping they can do it, because it'd be better for Justin AND they could save some money, too.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I can beat that! I have a grandson on the way. [Big Grin] My daughter had an ultrasound this week, so now I can buy things that aren't yellow or green.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When she's ready to start breastfeeding, she should get help from a lactation consultant (who I'm sure is on staff at the hospital.) It is totally possible for her to succeed! Tell her to keep up the pumping and encourage her as much as you can. She might want to speak to the consultant right away about what she can do in the meantime. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't she start breastfeeding now? Plenty of babies in the PCN and NICU were breastfed. Aerin got blowby oxygen for the first 2 weeks we breastfed her. How are they feeding him now?

It is very possible for a newborn to breastfeed after a few days or even weeks - I saw it all the time when Aerin was in the PCN. Let me echo kq and suggest that your sister speak with the lactation consultant.

Also, congratulations on your new nephew!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

He's on a feeding tube now. I think they were worried about him breathing in his food because he's breathing so fast.

I'm really worried my sister is experiencing some post-partum depression. I talked to her a few weeks ago on IM at work (we work for the same company), when she was having Braxton-Hicks contractions. Dad thought this meant the baby would arrive early, and I said this to Lori. She said she hoped not, because she wasn't ready to pay all that money. [Frown] I know they're really struggling with money right now, so it's a huge weight on her. It probably doesn't help that my older sister, who is a stay-at-home mom, is pregnant now, too, and is getting the best care money can buy.

Also, my mom said that for various reasons, Lori didn't get to breastfeed Avery right away, and although she tried, she never got it to work and went to formula. Mom thinks that Lori really believes the breastfeeding failed because they couldn't try right away, so we think she's already given up. [Frown] When I was visiting, Lori said she wasn't going to let the nurses stress her about pumping every three hours. I was worried when I heard that, because I know she was planning on breastfeeding, so if she's already given up, then I'm not surprised she's feeling depressed. And having a spinal headache certainly doesn't help.

She knows about the La Leche League; I might gently remind her of it when I call her today.

I'm really thankful for all the mothers on Hatrack who have shared their experiences, because I don't feel so clueless about babies now. [Smile] Sometimes it's very hard to relate to my sisters since I don't have children, so it was nice to be able to say "yeah, sounds like Braxton-Hicks" when she was having contractions instead of panicking and saying "OMG GO TO HOSPITAL NOW!". Thanks, all. [Group Hug]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Heh, I'm having Braxton-Hicks now (20 weeks)-- have been for three weeks. I'm sure glad it doesn't mean an early baby! [Angst]

But it's very, very easy for a new mother to get depressed, even when she's not in that situation. Have you spoken to your sister about getting help for her depression? This article has some resources listed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.