FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shopping for your gamer kid / boyfriend / husband / girlfriend / wife?

Author Topic: Shopping for your gamer kid / boyfriend / husband / girlfriend / wife?
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
This just popped up on slashdot (/.) and I thought that some of you could use it.

Being a gamer myself, and everyone always telling me it's impossible to buy things for me I feel like I should help in some way.

How to shop for a gamer when you're clueless

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

There are plenty of games I'd like to add to the list that I have played and could fit in very well that are even budget titles.

I'll sum them up in the same grouping as the article:

Final Fantasy I & II
Breath of Fire (any if they don't own them)
Golden Sun I, II

Zelda: any including the old NES games.
Mario: any.
Metroid: any.

Tetris
Zoo Keeper
Bejeweled
Textwist
Namco Museum

Thief
Splinter Cell

Space Quest
Quest for Glory
Kings Quest
Out of this world
Loom

Falcon4
Descent (Freespace I, II, or 1-3)
Microsoft's Flight Simulator

System Shock 2
Tomb Raider (I haven't played many and only the first one briefly)

Doom3
Half-Life2

I may update this list later.

[ December 10, 2005, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Chreese Sroup ]

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
You like Kings Quest?

I *love* Kings Quest! I played up to.. 5 I think (Not the princess one. The one with the labyrinth). Then I lost it for a year or so.

And I haven't been able to find any of the titles since then.

Do you have any suggestions of games I could get that are similar?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
By "similar," do you mean "equally old," or "intelligently-designed adventure games with graphics?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Intelligently-designed adventure games with graphics, thank-you. [Razz]

But, not action. I don't like fighting games, even if you have to figure stuff out in them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
And Then There Was None is a very good adventure game that was recently released. Unfortunately, it is one of the few.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how many adventure games have you already played, and what did you like about King's Quest? There's actually a backlog of a couple hundred great adventure games out there. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

If you haven't played Grim Fandango, it is an adventure game must. One of the best ever, but it didn't sell at all and pretty much signaled the death knell for adventure games being produced by major game companies.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I haven't actually played that many. Really King's Quest and Myst (is that classified adventure?) would be about it.

Oh, and a very old one about police. I can't even remember the title.

What did I like about King's Quest ? I liked the story line. I liked the way that when things worked, you knew why they did, because of an earlier clue, or conversation or something. I liked the way it all fit together.

That was one of the things I didn't like about Myst - sometimes the solutions to the puzzles seemed too random. I know they were going for the whole "discover the story as you play" thing, but for me I would have liked a bit more story provided/a few more things made clear.

One other thing - I have an issue with games I can't navigate my way around. If I can't move the character/pov easily, I get frustrated. I've found some games which focus on the graphics neglect the ease of actually navigating the game, and it irritates me.

imogen
Member # 5485

I also like the whole revealing new things / new paths / new chapters.

But I guess that's something common to all adventure games.

Aerto
Member # 8810

If you have a computer that can still run it, the Pandora Directive is a great game that stresses story and discovery. It has some puzzles that do not flow from the story (ala Myst) but is much more interactive and has a much better storyline than Myst does. It has branching storylines with multiple paths and, depending on the choices you make, around seven different endings. Great game.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen,

The game you're referring to about cops was almost certainly titled Police Quest. Sierra really loved that word for awhile [Wink] There were four games in the series, I believe. The first three were very similar in style to King's Quest and followed one police officer from beat cop to detective. The fourth was quite different, but also about a police officer. There was a Police Quest: SWAT, I think, but that was much more a tactical-style shooter.

However if you're looking for a game that's similar to King's Quest but not actually King's Quest, I'd recommend the Quest for Glory series by the same people. That series is probably my favorite ever. There is a bit of fighting, but it's very easy, and depending on the class you choose sometimes completely avoidable. But I'm a bit biased, I recommend that game to everyone.

As to availability...well, that's a bit of a problem. I've actually bought all of those games off the shelf (and a at least one of them more than once, in fact), or had them bought for me when I was a kid. A few years ago I felt like playing them again, though, and was able to find them on kazaa. Didn't feel especially guilty about that because I'd bought them all before, just lost them. They can also be found on EBay, but the prices they charge are worth it only to fanboys like me-and not even to me, really, since I've not bought them on Ebay.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

If graphics are a must -- and it sounds like they are, although that eliminates some of the greatest adventure games of all time -- you should seek out:

Maniac Mansion (and its sequel)
Sam and Max
Quest for Glory (the entire series)
Loom
Monkey Island (the entire series)
Grim Fandango
Goblins (and its sequel, Gobliins)

Heck, pretty much anything made by Sierra or LucasArts in the late '80s and early '90s.

Sadly, a lot of these games are rather hard to find nowadays, and don't run well on modern hardware. And some of what passed for "graphics" is cringe-worthy today.

Most modern "adventure games" have been ruined by Myst, I'm afraid, and don't deserve the title.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be up front, I don't really know what I'm talking about but maybe someone can help me? [Confused]

I have a 9 yo daughter that LOVES building/creating. I can't remember the titles of the game I *thought* would be good (there was a roller coaster version, and now it's about creating a society but has far too much *worldly* information for a 9 yo IMO). I'm not necessarily looking for this series but am looking for any recommendations that would be appropriate. I just don't know where to even look but I know she would love something creative like that and it doesn't have to be "girly".

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you thinking of Roller Coaster Tycoon? That's a great game, but I don't know if it would be too complicated for a 9 year old. There are a few indepth things that might be a little complicated.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was it. Too complicated huh? Do you know of any other games out there that would be appropriate? Even an adventure/solve the problem/story game (like Myst but at an appropriate level) I think she would enjoy.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

I'll have to chime in with Under a Killing Moon , Pandora Directive, and Overseer (I didn't play overseer.)

I got to test these a little before release, and I've played almost all of Access Software titles.
I may be able to hook you up with some of these old Access games because I know people that worked there throughout the incorporation into the Microsoft entity.

On the list over at about.com they have Beyond Good and Evil, which I have heard is simply amazing, but I have yet to pick it up and play it. The new Prince of Persia games are interesting, I've only played Sands of time, and it was quite enjoyable, but had fighting.

Tom covered most everything I'd say about adventure at this point. Adventure simply hasn't been what it used to be. I still play Nethack, and I think I'd be interested in playing Zork sometime too.

Aerto
Member # 8810

Beyond Good and Evil is a good game, but it has a pretty fair amount of combat/fighting in it as well. Overseer is a good game, but nowhere near as great as Pandora because it was designed over a very short period of time and, therefore, is much more linear than Pandora. Of course, Overseer ended with a cliffhanger that has never been truly resolved (though the makers produced a fairly short internet radio show which picked up after Overseer) which is disappointing.

If you want to play Zork, both Zork:Nemesis and Zork:Grand Inquisitor are good games, but very different in tone and content. Nemesis is a dark game with little to no humor. GI's tone is more in line with the wonderful text adventures from yesteryear, with a lot of humor. (Plus, it has Dirk Benedict in it.)

imogen
Member # 5485

Well, what would be some good adventure games without graphics? How do they work?

I'm fairly clueless, but willing to expand my horizons. [Smile]

Sweetbaboo, I'd try Zoo Tycoon (1, not 2). No worldy information that I can recall, and you actually learn some stuff about endangered species, habitats and so on. My 9 year old sister played it last time she visted and really liked it.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Zoo Tycoon 1, sounds like something she'd like, I'll look into it. Thanks imogen!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Well, what would be some good adventure games without graphics? How do they work?

You read. You type. You read the response. Back in the day, that was actually considered state of the art. [Smile]

Any game published by Infocom or Legend is worth playing.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good ol' Zork.

Yes, imogen, Zoo Tycoon was a great suggestion.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

Anyone remember playing Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy text adventure? There were some frustrating puzzles in that thing but I loved that game.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Anyone who has ever played it will remember it. [Smile]
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Let me see if I can dig up the link to play it online...

Found it: http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember it, mainly because it made me want to shoot my computer several times.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

Two words: Babel Fish.

The most obnoxious, frustrating puzzle in the history of adventure games. I just went back and tried to play the game and I still couldn't figure out what to do without cheating. And I've played the game multiple times, though not for years.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I just went back and tried to play the game and I still couldn't figure out what to do without cheating.

Seriously? Back in the day, when "cheats" were available for a ridiculous expense and not freely downloadable from the Internet, we actually had to figure the puzzles out. [Smile] And the babelfish puzzle, while one of the most amusing and most famous, is certainly not the hardest Infocom puzzle ever. Some of the ones from "Sorceror" and "Spellbreaker" spring to mind, actually, as FAR more agonizing. "Spellbreaker" has a few that are outright diabolical, although they all wind up making sense in context -- and Sorceror's "send yourself back in time to perform some vital tasks in a completely separate section of the dungeon, timed perfectly to avoid creating a paradox" took me two months to get right.

I also remember the horrible "how do I cut the Gordian knot" puzzle from "Enchanter," made harder because I frotzed myself early on and thus never found the glowing painting, thus making it impossible for me to get the sacrificial knife. And of course if you dispelled the magic on the rope, you wouldn't have the scroll for when you REALLY needed it.

But we got that a LOT in early Infocom games. Remember in "Suspended," where if you picked the wrong robot to respond to a crisis you'd have to start all over? Or how you'd have to get to the very end of "Starcross" to discover that shooting the gun at ANYTHING, at any earlier point, made it impossible to win the game -- so you'd have to start all over? [Smile]

Games are LOT less nasty nowadays. I blame Sierra, actually.

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

I thought I would update this thread rather than start a whole new thread about it:

Amazon.com is showing that on my birthday March 30th, Vivendi (who owns Sierra) is rereleasing all of the old classics in compilations of each game: King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry.
Each of these compilations are priced at $20.

I personally can't wait, I played bits of King's Quest I, all through II, all through III, bits of IV and very little of the others. I didn't play any Police Quest, but I played most of the Space Quest series.

There seemed to be some interest in this thread about these games: Hence the update.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
At Target, I saw a classic Atari set with games. It was complete with the old controllers and Pong, among other games.

Cool for the old timers!

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Heh, I turn 23. I don't consider myself an old timer.

However, I did play King's Quest 3 on the TRS-80.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Almost any game made by Paradox.

Also Halo I should be about 10$ now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh...Space Quest!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, we have SQ4. Couldn't get past a certain part, though.

SimCity's always fun. SC2000 was the best-- the others were kinda "meh......."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
For adventure games, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the new one, Indigo Prophecy. It's on Xbox, PS2, and PC, and it's won a plethora of awards ; it's really good. I recommend giving it a shot with a rental if you own a console.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.