FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to stop a scam ..?

Author Topic: How to stop a scam ..?
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Paraphrased from a call I received a couple of nights ago:

ME: Hmm, the caller ID says private name and number ... [presses TALK] Hello?

CALLER: Hello, my name is Alejandro Somethingorother, with the U.S. Census Bureau. Is Heather L. Card there?

ME: Um ... she's sleeping.

CALLER: Oh, well, she is the one who filled out the census form. What about Michael G. Card, is that you?

ME: Yes.

CALLER: Hello, Mr. Card. You have been selected to participate in a special additional survey that we do to make sure no one falls through the cracks. [launches into a stream of legalese that basically says, "we are allowed to ask you a bunch of personal questions because of such-and-such obscure law you've never heard of"] Now, is your address currently [starts to recite our previous address] ...

ME: Actually, I'm really not comfortable giving you that information.

CALLER: Sir, I'm with the U.S. Census Bureau, and this is a mandatory survey.

ME: I'm sorry, but I didn't think the Census Bureau performed mandatory surveys.

CALLER: If I wasn't from the Census Bureau, how did I know which one of you filled out the census form?

ME: Actually, I find that more creepy than convincing.

CALLER: Sir, this is a MANDATORY survey. I'm am authorized by the—

ME: If you're really from the government, then send a cop to my door, and have him explain it to me. [hangs up]

The next night, same time:

ME: Hello?

FEMALE CALLER, SAME ACCENT AS ALEJANDRO: Hello, I am with the U.S. Census Bureau—

ME: I've already heard this scam, try again. [hangs up]

I tried to report this, but the police officer on the phone told me that fishing for identity information isn't illegal — the authorities can't do anything unless I actually give up some useful info (which I didn't). And I wouldn't be surprised if the calls were coming from out of state or out of the country, anyway ...

So ... have any of you heard of this particular scam? I mean, I didn't pay much attention in my Civics class, but I'm pretty darn sure that this is not how the U.S. Census Bureau operates [Smile] Is there anything I CAN do? I just know someone is falling for this one right now, as we speak. I feel like I should be able to do something to stop them.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
And before someone puts up the mandatory snopes link, here it is:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/census.htm

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would report it to the Census Bureau. I'd think they'd want to know about it. They might at least be able to put a public alert on their website or something.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if representatives of the Census Bureau are federal agents? Because impersonating a federal agent is a crime.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaky! And I think it is illegal to impersonate a Gov official...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar call, only that person claimed to be offering me a "grant" from the IRS because I paid taxes. Yeah, right. I also said I wasn't comfortable giving information over the phone - especially since he was asking for info that is already on my tax return. I figured if he was from the IRS, he would already know that info.

I didn't pursue it with authorities, which I do think I should have - but it's hard to know whom to contact. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this responce: "Wow, I'd really love to do this, but I'm headed out the door for work. Could you call me on my Cell phone and I'll answer it while driving? Great, my cell number is 911-5868."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] at dan
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I usually get these people off the phone is to tell them I can't talk at the moment, ask their names and get a number where I can call them back. The scammers usually hang-up, the real survey takers will give a number and when I call back, the name of the company should be announced through the phone system.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
18 USC § 912. False Personification, Officer or employee of the United States

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Call your local U.S. Attorney's office and the census bureau. Document the date and time of calls. Call the phone company and ask them to set it up so you can prepare a trace.

Get the mofos.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The Census Bureau came to visit us last year. This guy obviously wasn't pulling a scam. He was polite, I'd even go as far as saying nice. He was very persistant and everytime I tried to dodge him, he came back. He finally figured out my schedule. He never called so he couldn't asked for personal information over the phone.

He had the proper ID and was very brief during the interview. He had a computer and he let me see what he was entering. He was very professional but the one thing I noticed was that he was bored. You could tell that he had done this very same thing 100 times that day. When it was all finished, I was sure he was the real deal.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. You gotta make sure people are legit before you give them anything. Me, for instance, I didn't fund that Nigerian prince until he e-mailed me a picture of himself wearing a crown.

It did have Burger King printed on it . . .

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"18 USC § 912. False Personification, Officer or employee of the United States

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Call your local U.S. Attorney's office and the census bureau. Document the date and time of calls. Call the phone company and ask them to set it up so you can prepare a trace.

Get the mofos."

Government agencies get really INTENSE when people pretend to be an employee of that agency. Get the census bureau involved, and the people perpetrating this crime are likely to spend a long time behind bars.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Isn't that what I said? [Razz]
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the census bureau has a section about this on their website. It includes contact information for the regional offices.

link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.