FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bands Named After Characters

Author Topic: Bands Named After Characters
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many there are. But I just know found out there is a band named Pennywise.

Has anyone else heard of any others?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Dashboard Confessional song called "Ender Will Save Us All."

I was terribly amused.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadowfax and Shadow fax. (From LotR)
Hawkwind (From Michael Moorcock's books)
Minas Tirith (OK, so not a character, but close)
Save Ferris (From Ferris Bueller's Day Off [or is it "out?"...I can never remember])

That's all I can think of for right now.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Veruca Salt
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at my husbands music collection I have this to add:

Spock's Beard

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
There's an Iron Maiden album called Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Incredible album. Most of you should know where the name comes from [Smile] .

-----
Completely off-topic- theCrowsWife, the weirdest thing is that I always thought you were a male. I know your name is theCrowswife but I was always under the impression you were male. I'm scratching my head as to how I ever thought of that. Never mind. Forget I said this.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite a character, but a local band around here call themselves Left Pency, after Catcher in the Rye, where Holden Caulfield says he "left Pency."
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

lol, that happens a lot online, even when I don't use "Mel" as a signature. I guess I just type masculinely or something [Dont Know] Don't worry, I'm not offended.

--

Er, band names. Google gave me this site, which tells me that Duran Duran was named after a character in a Jane Fonda movie titled "Barbarella."

Also, Goldfinger from James Bond.

KING MISSILE - is a popular Japanese comic book character

THOMSON TWINS - two characters in the Tintin comics by the late Belgium artist Herge.

T PAU - after a high priestess from the planet VULCAN in the American TV series STAR TREK

--Mel

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Mott the Hoople

Jethro Tull (if a real person is a "character"

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia's Kiss
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's an Iron Maiden album called Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Incredible album. Most of you should know where the name comes from [Smile] .
You're not serious with this, right?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought you were kidding, but you're not!

O.o

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"You're not serious with this, right?"
I'm serious

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't think you understand. I think he was asking if you were serious about thinking it was based off of Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card. Not if the album existed.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Oh? In the thread linked to from the article the first post says this: "We all know about Seventh Son of a Seventh son being a story of someone born with such gifts". It kind of sounds like OSC's story.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Steppenwolf and Shai Hulud are literary references.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Gaal,
The seventh son, and especially the seventh son of a seventh son is a extremely old and common mark of specialness, be it good or bad, in mythology and folklore. The album, which apparently came out within a year of the book, was likely supposed to be referring to the darker associations to this geneological position, such as curses or vampirism. It wasn't referring to the book.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Oh. Whoops. Sorry, didn't know that.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends' band was called Dancing For Nickels after a quotation from a Simpson's episode.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No worries dude. Just a little bit of information that you didn't know that now you do. I wasn't sure if you were making a joke or not.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Eve6 was named after an X-files character. (Season one, the episode was called "Eve" I think)
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Duran Duran (from Barbarella).
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, I'm pretty sure I read an article somewhere where the band specifically said that they got the title from the OSC series. [Dont Know]

-o-

quote:
Completely off-topic- theCrowsWife, the weirdest thing is that I always thought you were a male. I know your name is theCrowswife but I was always under the impression you were male. I'm scratching my head as to how I ever thought of that. Never mind. Forget I said this.
You're thinking of Verily Cooper. [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
I thought you were kidding, but you're not!

O.o

Nope!

And the ending of another one of their songs reminds me of a scene from the Handmaid's Tale. I mean, I'm sure that's not really what it's from, but it really reminds me of it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Fall out Boy is a character in the Simpsons comic series Radioactive Man.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
A band from the '70s, Uriah Heep, is from a character in David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Ah, missed one. I was wondering if Uriah Heep was a character name when I passed it.

--Mel

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
there's a band called the Harry Potters, but I don't remember if it was intentional.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Harry and the Potters, and yes, it was intentional: they sing about the books.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Icarus,
Seeing as how the album came out within months of the book and that such a reference doesn't fit in with any of their other albums, I'd be amazed if this were true. Which is not to say that it isn't, just that I'd be amazed.

pH
Member # 1350

I hate Fall Out Boy so much. I don't understand why everyone here worships them.

Also, if I get one more person telling me about how they're BFF with Kill Hannah or Lucky Boys Confusion... [Mad]

Twenty-four more hours...

-pH

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly the same thing, but Toad the Wet Sprocket was taken from a Monty Python Sketch. Other than that, there are tons of bands that are named after characters.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
T'Pau
Uriah Heep

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no band called Crunchy Frog? That seems like a serious omission...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Goldfinger

The Bruce Lee Band

Finch has a song called Ender

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

wait..they know how to read????
[Wink]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a heavy metal band called "Atreyu". I would be surprised if this wasn't from The Neverending Story.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ifmyheartcouldbeat:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

wait..they know how to read????
[Wink]

I think the singer's middle name might actually be Ender.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The Rolling Stones
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Interesting...
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
chris carraba, the main dashboard confessional guy...his middle name is indeed "Ender" That song is about a friend of his that he missed or something...chris and his friend always talked about 'Ender's Game' together, that's why the song is called "Ender will save us all"

i have some friends in a band that used to be called "aslan"

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.