FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John Spencer, West Wing's Leo McGarry, dies of heart attack at age 58

Author Topic: John Spencer, West Wing's Leo McGarry, dies of heart attack at age 58
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

How freaky after almost dying of a heart attack on the show.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. [Frown]

He was a great actor.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
He was.

I thought he had died on the show, until I heard this, I must have missed a lot.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I loved him. Though, I'm not surprised. I often wonder how much the character effects the person. There have been several actors who I've wondered about. You know what I mean? I think the brain a bigger mystery than most people think and that good actors often get so into their characters that what is happening to the person they are portraying. . . well, the brain can't tell the difference and the chemical changes actually happen.

Though they were both alcoholic/workaholics. And Irish. Us Irish folk tend to be a bit emotional. [Wink]

But, dang, I really liked him. I wonder what The West Wing will do.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd imagine they'll miss him a whole bunch. I know I will. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

He was great on The West Wing. And in The Rock. But L. A. Law is where I first fell for him.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. That's so awful. Leo was definitely my favorite character on West Wing. He will be truly missed.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to miss him.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I loved him on the show. I just got into it this past week and I'm already on the second season. (woot for procrastination for studying for finals!) He was so much fun.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Rest in Peace John.

You will be missed.

I too wonder what they will do in the show. They can't kill him off. He'll have to bow out, or they will finish out the election and then have him bow out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
They've probably already filmed the rest of the current season right?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

kojabu, I doubt it. I don't think they usually wrap till March or so.
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't they kill him off?
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

It will be hard to have him bow out, since he's not there to film the bowing out scenes.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, so sad [Frown]
Rest in peace, John.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They can't kill him off, because this season started with an episode where it showed people four years in the future at the opening of Bartlett's presidential library and Leo was alive there.

It's not the kinda show where you can change details like that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect hospitalization of some kind. Perhaps a coma.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Car crash. Or terrorist attack.

But either way, my wife and I are both sad that he's dead; we really liked him as an actor. Plus now it means that the Republicans are going to have to win the election on West Wing.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Why does it mean that?
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should bring Rob Lowe back and have him take Leo's place as the VP candidate.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oooooo.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's clever. It even makes sense from a plot standpoint, since Vinnick is from California, it puts the state in play, but then so is Sam Seaborn, which narrows the gap.

Not like Rob Lowe is doing anything. His last two shows have crashed.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
They can't kill him off, because this season started with an episode where it showed people four years in the future at the opening of Bartlett's presidential library and Leo was alive there.

It's not the kinda show where you can change details like that.

Good point. He'll have to be in a coma, I guess.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked him....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You know, it might not be an issue at all if the show isn't renewed for another season, of which there is serious doubt.

It's ratings in its old Wednesday night slot were horrible before it was moved, it was down to like 5 million viewers a night, down from something like 30 million.

I don't know how it is doing on Sunday, but there is serious doubt as to its being renewed.

I REALLY hope it is though. The only two shows left on TV that I really watch are LOST and West Wing!

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cousin named Leo McGarry, but I guess that doesn't really have anything to do with this.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.