FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best long songs

Author Topic: Best long songs
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had a music thread for a while. Or at least not one that I've seen... but then, I finally have a full-time job, so I've been missing some stuff around here. Anyway, it's the weekend, and I thought I'd pick your brains once again.

Making long songs is like making long movies. When it's done right it can give themes room to breathe, and be so hypnotic and engrossing that you don't even notice the time pass. But for every Lord of the Rings there are 10 Alexanders and Heavens Gates, whose artists don't know when to shut up. So when people can make long movies or long songs that justify their lengths, it's uniquely sweet.

So, just as an arbitrary cut-off, let's say what's your favorite song over 7 minutes long, and why? Of course, you get more points for longer songs, but it's got to be at least 7 minutes long to be considered (by my made-up statistics) a standard deviation above the mean. I'm going to put together a few of my own, but I'm going to start the thread in case any of you would like to beat me to some of the obvious ones.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The super-obvious:

Stairway to Heaven
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do symphonies and such count?

In which case: Adagio for String - Samual Barber

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm,
American Pie and Vincent would seem uber-obvious.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Alice's Restaraunt, does it get any longer?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Moby - God Moving Over the Face of the Waters
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Vincent 7 minutes? I know there's a single-length (3:10 or so) version I've heard many times on the radio.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Layla, or for that matter most of Eric Clapton's longer songs.

The Beatles - Hey Jude

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Dags, Vincent is 5:19, at least on my cd.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with breyerchic. Alice's Restuarant is a classic. I also enjoy a lot of long Phish songs, but I don't think I could pick just one.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm now listening to American Pie. Ooh fantastic song.

I wouldn't consider Hey Jude a long song, but I haven't looked up how long it is.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Juanita/Kiteless
by Underworld.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Hey Jude is 7:07.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" by Counting Crows. "Goodbye Sky Harbor" by Jimmy Eat World is also good, but it has to be background music. It's too repetitive to just sit and listen to.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Achilles Last Stand- over 10 minutes.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Okay, I was looking through my collection and I came up with way, way too many. So I'm going to deal with them in categories.

First off, including jazz songs was way too easy, so I left most of them out, but I had to mention All Blues (11:33) and Miles Runs the Voodoo Down (14:03), just because they're some of the greatest and most influential pieces of any genre.

Other than that, I think I can put most of the long songs I like into three categories:

Songs with killer jams
**The Doors: Light My Fire (7:08) [The doors used Coltrane as an inspiration, and notoriously proved that songs didn't have to be short to sell.]
**Rush: Working Man (7:10)
**The Allman Brothers: Jessica (7:30) [I always think this song is much shorter because I never want it to end]
**Creedence: Keep On Chooglin’ (7:40) [Some of the most smoking harmonica work ever laid down]
**Dire Straits: Money For Nothing (8:14)
**Curtis Mayfield: Move On Up (8:54)
**Phish: Tweezer (8:42)
**Frank Zappa: Watermelon in Easter Hay (9:05) [one of the most lyrical and gorgeous jams you'll ever hear, Frank can make you weep without saying a word.]
**Frank Zappa: Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk (9:15) [Not as good a song musically, but tell me you've ever heard a better name for a song about Jimmy Swaggart]
**Neil Young: Down By the River (9:16), Cowgirl In the Sand (10:06)
**Television: Marquee Moon (10:41)
**Creedence: I Heard It Through the Grapevine (11:07)
**Led Zeppelin: When the Levee Breaks (7:08)
**Stone Roses: I Am the Resurrection (8:14), Fools Gold (9:55)
**Moe: Plane Crash (8:54)
**Propellerheads: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (9:20) [A smoking techno jam on John Barry's theme from the movie of the same name. One of those songs that, for all its length, is always over before you're ready for the end.]

Songs with a hypnotic, ambient quality
**Stevie Wonder: Black Man (8:29) [funkily hypnotic, that bass line with the horns will suck you in and won't let you go until they're done with you.]
**Sade: No Ordinary Love (7:22) [Sade is a master of brilliant songs like this, but this is the only one that goes over 7 minutes]
**DJ Shadow: What Does Your Soul Look Like IV (7:12)
**The Cure: Pictures of You (7:28)
**New Order: Blue Monday (7:29)
**Supertramp: Child of Vision (7:25)
**Steely Dan: Deacon Blues (7:37)
**Donald Fagen: On the Dunes (8:07)
**Loreena McKennitt: The Bonny Swans (7:21)
**Philip Glass: The Grid (21:23)
**BT: Flaming June (8:36)
**Orbital: Halcyon+on+on (9:27) [These last two tracks put the "trance" in trance music, and almost justify an often worthless genre]
**Led Zeppelin: Kashmir (8:28)
**Pink Floyd: Dogs (17:08)
**Vangelis: Processional (9:33)
**The Crystal Method: Trip Like I Do (7:34)

Songs with deliberate musical progression
**Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (43:42)
**Yes: Roundabout (8:35)
**Guns ‘N Roses: November Rain (8:57)
**Deep Purple: Lazy (7:22) [I almost put this in the jam category, but this is a jam with an agenda]
**Weird Al: Albuquerque (11:23)
**King Crimson: 21st Century Schizoid Man (7:23)

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Telegraph Road", Dire Straits. 14:18, and not a second of it that feels superfluous.

"It's a Long Way There", Little River Band. 8:38 in its original album version.

"Why Worry", Dire Straits. 8:31.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light", Meat Loaf. 8:29.

"Like a Hurricane", Neil Young. 8:20. Lyrically brilliant, and if the guitar gets a little too grunge-like toward the end for my tastes, well, a lot of people like that sort of thing. And it was a great ride anyway.

"Tunnel of Love", Dire Straits. 8:11. Anyone noticing a pattern? Mark Knopfler can write truly great long songs; unlike, say, Iron Butterfly, he never descends into useless repetition that extends the song without adding to it.

"Scenes From an Italian Restaurant", Billy Joel. 7:38.

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", Crosby, Stills & Nash. 7:25.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
"Song of Scheherazade" by Renaissance. 24:39. It's absolutely incredible. It's like time flies when I listen to it, and I don't realize it's been a half an hour when it's done.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Add to that: "Home by the Sea," "Fading Lights," and "Driving the Last Spike" by Genesis. Home by the Sea is 12:14, Fading Lights is 10:54, and Driving the Last Spike is 10:17.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Renaissance! Wow, I remember listening to them as a kid. I'll have to find Scheherezade again and see if I still like it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Rush's 2112 at about 20 minutes. Great story, great music... I love it.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Charity of Night," Bruce Cockburn (8:05). A lot of his more spoken word pieces run long, but this is one of my favorites. I think "You've Never Seen Everything" (9:16) is a better song, but it's not one I can stand to listen to very often.

"Yes, Anastasia," Tori Amos (9:33). Dreamy and sad.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The Doors: "The End"

The Verve Pipe: "Bittersweet Symphony"

Radiohead: "Underworld"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JTruant711
Member # 8868

- posted      Profile for JTruant711           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, everyone covered all the safe ones (Led Zep, Rush, CCR, etc...)

What about 'Master of Puppets' by Metallica? That song is easily one of the greatest songs... ever.

Oh, and let's not forget 'Tin Pan Alley' by Stevie Ray Vaughn, 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by The Who, or 'Champagne Supernova' by Oasis.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
May favorite song would have to be "Fruitcakes" by Jimmy Buffet. [Smile] Great song
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, I would have these categories:

Songs that are long because they contain lots of "jams," or improvisation,

and ballads.

My favorite long song/ballad is Crow Greenspun's "Blood and Decision," though no one except a few will have heard of him.

We see a lot of live music, and our favorite bands are in the "jam band" category, so pretty much any song they play is long.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

I've never heard of that one. Is it a b-side or something?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Handel's Messiah is about 2 hours long.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
The Who: won't get fooled again (8:35)
My Morning Jacket: Steam Engine (7:26)
Wilco: Reservations (7:23)

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer the Low/Dirty Three version of "Down by the River" which is 9:37.

Also by Dirty Three, "I Offered it up to the Stars and the Night Sky" at 13:41. This was the last song they played when I saw them live, and it was amazing. It just builds and builds and skirts the edge of cacophony but never quite falls.

Most Dirty Three songs are long, and most are wonderful, so I won't mention any more by name.

Hmm, the other songs I was thinking of weren't actually long enough to post here, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

I've never heard of that one. Is it a b-side or something?
yah its rare, I am not sure where it is available, I downloaded it. I think "The Beach" soundtrack might have "Underworld" on it. Its a great track though.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
The Black Mages - "Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI)". Twelve minutes of battle-y goodness. I especially love the organ section in the middle.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Handel's Messiah is about 2 hours long.

My pet peeve has been disturbed: The messiah is not a song... its an oratorio, with lots of short songs in it....

other pet peeve: in order to be a song, there has to be singing.... thus the term "instrumental song," is an oxymoron... unless you are Mendelsohn and you want to call an instrumental piece "songs without words," in order to imply that your instruments are singing. This also applies to the "tone poem" genre

But in general: Singing= songs, instrumental= piece

songs= pieces, but pieces do not always = songs

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'll guess you'll have to just ignore my Dirty Three recommendations, then, as they are an instrumental band. Except for the remake of "Down by the River," that is.

However, I suspect that the intent of the thread was to find pieces, not specifically songs. I could easily be wrong, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

well my peeve is the thread title then, just like itunes is obscuring the difference between what is a piece and a song
Speed
Member # 5162

I'm aware of the distinction. However, I've never liked the word "piece" when referring to music, because the word can also be applied to a good majority of everything that exists in the universe. And the phrase "piece of music" sounds ungainly. So, knowing that colloquial American English recognizes instrumental pieces as songs, and knowing that it made a snappier thread title, I used that word. And there have been plenty of instrumental numbers mentioned here, so that's a good indication that the word was understood as it was intended, which is a good acid test for language.

In any case, most long songs are made long by heavy use of instrumentation, so unless you want to start nit-picking about exactly what proportion of a piece of music must be sung in order for it to be considered a song, I suggest you go with the flow and don't stress out too much about it. [Razz]

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bohemian Rapsody
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, post right before mine finally got the first song that came to my mind.

Add to that most Hans Zimmer tracks from scores...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it would appeal to other people as much as it does to me, but I really love "There Only Was One Choice," by Harry Chapin (14:00).
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Highwayman - Loreena McKennitt
Reel Around the Sun - Riverdance/Bill Whelan

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, Vanessa Mae's Butterfly Lovers Concerto - Act 1. It would be considered a "piece". But I love it and it is long (10:07).

And there will always be a special place in my heart for Lateralus by TOOL! My first live rock concert ever.

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Tori Amos - Yes, Anastasia
Enigma - I Love You... I'll Kill You

There are numerous Deep Forest tracks I'd add here, if I could remember how to spell them [Smile]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so Paranoid Android is only 6:23, but it deserves a mention. As does Pink Floyd's Shine on your Crazy Diamond
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Elton John - Carla Etude/Fanfare/Chloe

(Probably three separate songs/instrumentals, but each one blends into the next. This is in my top 5 of Elton John songs.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Chapin is a great long song guy, for sure.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.