FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mac games

Author Topic: Mac games
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to buy myself a PowerBook for Christmas and I was looking online for games. I know Mac doesn't have quite the selection of PC's, but I couldn't find anything. If someone could provide either a link to a list of good Mac games, or make recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
World of Warcraft's not bad [Wink] .

The rather popular Escape Velocity series started out Mac-only.

Total Annihilation's an old classic (and runs in Classic, coincidentally), as is Starcraft (that has an OS X patch, though you need classic to install it iirc).

For small, silly games, there's a 3D surface version of the classic snake game called Swear, and its free. You can play on a Klein bottle!

There's a fun arcade-style side scroller called Space Tripper with a pretty good demo.

WingNuts is a fun top down dogfight game.

More than a few games here: http://versiontracker.com/macosx/cat/games as well as here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, if you want to play games, don't buy a Powerbook. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a high likelyhood that the Powerbook and iBook lines will be updated to new Intel processor systems in early January, so you might want to wait before you buy.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* Especially if they will, as rumored, support dual-boot.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on what sorts of games you like. The Mac has a thriving arcade-style game culture, for instance, producing games that look a heck of a lot better than their similarly priced counterparts on windows.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather not buy the first version of their Intel processor line, and I really need a new computer, so I'm pretty set with the PowerBook. I've looked around and found some games I think I'll like (thanks for the links fugu).

It's definitely a step back in terms of availability, but for everything else Macs are superior (IMHO). I’ll probably just end up getting more use out of my Playstation.

100 posts… Hooray!

[Party]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Bioware makes/ports a lot of games.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wait to get an Intel, if it is released, there is no guarantee game software will work well, as game software is usually very dependent on the CPU type (big vs little endian--oo, writing that makes me just want to write a game), and who knows how many game makers have made their Mac apps Intel aware...
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.