FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Installing new software -- Tante's rant

Author Topic: Installing new software -- Tante's rant
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer is prone to viruses, mainly because I share it with my son, who loves to download everything. And whatever clever virus I picked up managed to knock out my anti-virus software.

So, off I went to the store to buy a new version of Norton AntiVirus. Plunk it in the disk drive. Up comes a window "Do you want to open this program?"
Well, yeah. That's why I bought it and stuck it in the disk drive.

Up comes another window, telling me that to open Norton, I need to go to "My Computer" and click on the drive that has the disk in it and tell it to open the program. I do all that.

Up comes another window. Do I want to install it? Well, yeah. That's why I bought it and stuck it in the disk drive and opened it.

Up comes another window. "Right now?" Yeah.

Up comes another window. "You'll have to close all your other open applications first" I already did.

Up comes another window "Norton has to delete your old antivirus software in order to install, OK?" Yeah.

Up comes another window "Right now?" Yeah.

Up comes another window "In order to proceed, Norton has to restart your computer. OK?" Yeah.

Up comes another window "Right now?" Sigh. YEAH.

And so on and so forth, every step of the way. Is there a reason that the software designers can't start out with one question first: "Do you want this whole thing to install and run, and we'll just bother you if we run into a real problem, or would you rather hold our hand throughout this whole procedure giving us the OK at every turn?"

I asked my software developer husband this question. He just shrugged. [Roll Eyes]

[/rant]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
There are enough clueless people out there that make that sort of thing necessary.

My mom has a CompUSA computer that she bought in 1998, that was constantly having trouble. Once my brothers moved out of the house, it started running perfectly. They weren't even allowed on the internet without supervision, it was just that they installed too many games on it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, Tante, there's an easier answer.... but Son won't like me for it! LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james01
Member # 8863

- posted      Profile for james01   Email james01         Edit/Delete Post 
Norton doesn't like my laptop, it won't liveupdate the virus definitions and it keeps yelling at me to do so.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad they don't make two versions of basic software: an idiot's version and one for the computer-savvy.

Actually, I'm not gonna mention which one I'd need.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Its like putting, "Caution: Coffee is Hot," on the McDonald's coffee cups.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Ya know, Tante, there's an easier answer.... but Son won't like me for it! LOL

Well, eventually one of us should get a laptop. I think it ought to be me. The computer we share is just outside of the kitchen, in plain view of anyone walking around. I think that it is good for a kid to NOT have privacy on the computer.

I'm not a kid, so I can take the laptop wherever I want to go.

Maybe I can get a deal on a used one.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.