FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *^$!@(* *(&!#!! (aka Boycotting Baseball)

Author Topic: *^$!@(* *(&!#!! (aka Boycotting Baseball)
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
The newest Yankee.

I don't know who to hate more, Damon for being such a greedy pansy-assed traitor, or the Yankees for taking the player who nailed the coffin shut with his Game 7 Grand Slam in the 2004 ALCS when what they really need to do better next year, anyway, is get a decent freaking pitching staff.

They just throw money around slapping together a makeshift team like a giant Frankenstein and not even bothering to wonder why they can't win like back in the late 90s when they actually had team chemistry. And in the process take one of my guys!

I hope Damon loses his first fly ball of the season in the glare his own mandatorially clean shaven jaw and collides with Matsui and snaps his femur.

*!@%^!

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one of my guys!
I thought you'd left the brotherhood of bearded longhaired dudes and shaved recently yourself.

Having said that I don't see how *anyone* could play for the Red Sox and go directly to the Yankees or vice versa. They should go to some other team in between at least. Though maybe something has happened and Damon thinks he's washed up or will be in another year and might as well take the money and the Yankees down with him. One can hope...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you sound so... bitter, Frisco. I think you should take a bubble break. You know, blow some bubbles outside or something. Take your mind off things.

[/derail]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Forget the trades, the real question is, if the both of the Sox have broken their respective curses, can the Cubs do so as well? OR would that be too sweetness and light for the sport of baseball to cope with?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me so, so sad.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, blow some bubbles outside or something. Take your mind off things.

...and while you're at it, take your shirt off. *leers*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Yes, yes, please! *drool* *leers* *drools some more*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*objectifies Frisco shamelessly*

Here, have some grapeseed oil with those bubbles!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

*raises right eyebrow* Pourquoi grapeseed oil, por favor? I think the oil would ruin the feather boa, and that would just be a shame. *wipes drool off her chin*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

To rub on his shirtless chest. To make it gleam in the sun. And, you know, slidey.

You put it on before the feather boa. And the tassels and thong, for that matter.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

But then the feather boa sticks to it. Not a good look.

Unless it's a very, very light coat. Then I might reconsider.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just enough to gleam. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(You're a sick, sick woman, kq. Sick!)

I got the fever! *music plays in background*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Have you ever thought that Frisco might *not* want to be objectified every time he makes a post? I mean I've done my share, don't get me wrong, but I can see how it gets old.

AJ

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Boo hoo. After what happened to the Marlins this offseason not even Devil Ray fans have the right to complain. I mean cutting the payroll is one thing, but dumping all but three players!? If the Marlins don't set the all time loss record next season I'll be shocked.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm horrified. [Frown] Not just the objectification - I am actually floored that Damon bolted.

There is so much attachment to baseball. It sucks to have reminders that money (lots and lots of money) is so involved.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mean Old Frisco:
They just throw money around slapping together a makeshift team like a giant Frankenstein and not even bothering to wonder why they can't win like back in the late 90s when they actually had team chemistry.

That totally expresses my feelings about the Yanks, as well.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think not having a salary cap in baseball is really killing the sport.

I am SO glad that the NHL now has a cap. Football would be nothing without one.

And boo-hoo about the Yankees stealing a Red Sox star. The Red Sox would do the exact same thing to a Yankees star if they wanted him and could afford to steal him away.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOO! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Baseball suxors, go badminton!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I root for the laundry, not for the number (which isn't to say I don't have some favorite players, like Dewey, Mo, Pedro, Tek, Manny). $13 million is too much for a no-throw hitter, coming off a near-career, who plays all out, even hurt, and is going to be ~38 at the end of this deal. They've got a couple good years of Damon left before he goes Bernie Williams.

But hey, that's okay, because as much as people like to point out the Sox have the second largest payroll in baseball, the fact is the Yankees double (or more) them. Even if the Sox plowed all their profits into payroll (wich neither team actually does), they still probably couldn't reach the Yankees level... And it wouldn't be sustainable. The Sox already have the smallest park and highest average ticket prices in the game.

The Yankees can throw money around like no one's business. They are the popular team in the largest market, good for them. I just don't want to hear anything about how the Sox "didn't care enough" or "the Sox are just as rich as the Yankees".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, baseball does have a luxury tax, starting at payroll over ~135 million (about where the Sox are). The Yankees are paying an extra percent on every dollar above this (and they are WAY above this), and each year they stay over it, the rate goes up. So While the Sox, in the short term, could afford to go over, you cannot say the Sox generally could do what the Yankees did. The Sox, while wealthy, aren't anywhere near the Yankees, in terms of resources.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope Damon loses his first fly ball of the season in the glare his own mandatorially clean shaven jaw and collides with Matsui and snaps his femur.
I totally missed this when Frisco first posted it, and all I have to say is: [ROFL]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.