FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Years Resolutions

Author Topic: New Years Resolutions
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I would start a thread for New Years Resolutions, since I haven't seen one yet. I know, I know, a lot of times ... err ... 99% of the time ... resolutions are broken. But its still fun to make them. Everyone feel free to add your own. Mine are (for now, until I come up with more):

To stop overanalyzing stuff

To actually study for school

To maintain my friendships

To eat healther and exercise more

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to make a New Years resolution next year.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I Resolve To:

Eat better this semester.

Practice more.

Party less.

Call my parents more.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've resolved to:

Cook two healthy meals a week

Do yoga five times a week

Go to the gym at least three times a week

Do *all* my math problem sets and reading for other classes

Read all of the Economist

Spend more time renewing and cultivating friendships

To do a nice thing for my boyfriend each day, just because.

This list may expand...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to increase my post rate here at Hatrack.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, resolutions are for possible things.

My resolutions:
~Wash the dishes.

That seems like enough..

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
Tante, resolutions are for possible things.

Ooh! The gauntlet is down! I've been challenged!

<rises to meet challenge>

And it's all aiua's fault!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to find a new place to hide the bodies...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

No, no, no, you misunderstood me.
That was a compliment (of sorts), you see?

What I was really trying to say is, "There's nothing you can do anymore, Tante, you're perfect already!"

-slowly backs away-

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
Tante, you're perfect already!

[Big Grin]

OK! I'll just maintain my current post rate. [Big Grin]

aiua
Member # 7825

Phew!
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to lose 15 pounds and become un-lumpy by my wedding (May 5)! [Eek!]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Lose 40 pounds and spend less time on the computer.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to post more on Hatrack!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
agah! Its New Years Eve and my ever-so-practical page has fallen to ... who knows what page. I had to use the Search function to find it. You Hatrackers are a unresolving bunch [Razz]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. I need to lose 25 pounds. And start keeping an orderly house. And maybe get straight A's and start doing assignments, you know, not the night before they're due?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to find another activity here in NY that doesn't involve barley, hops, grain, corn, rice, potatoes, and is fermented.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My housemates brew their own beer.

Resolutions include:

Keeping better track of money

Getting into shape (no weight loss goal because chances are i'll gain weight with the muscles I want)

Figure stuff out

Get an internship or at least figure out what I want to do after I graduate

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a law of nature that I always break my resolutions. So this year I resove to...

Eat more junk food.

Gain weight.

Exercise less.

Ignore my friends.

Post as often as Tante.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I like that method, Tinros!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's New Year's Resolutions for Crowley and Aziraphale:

quote:
Crowley:
Resolution #1: I must accept that Super-Gluing valuable coins to the sidewalk and then watching events from a nearby café is not proper demonic activity.

Resolution #2: The same applies to rearranging the letters on wayside pulpits.

Resolution #3: Try to come up with something as good as cell phone ringtones, following one last stab at convincing Downstairs that cell phone ringtones are right up there in the whole Human Misery stakes. And iPods. Has anybody Down There even said thank you for iPods? Or "Googling yourself?" Frankly, I deserve some kind of award for "Googling yourself."

Resolution #7: On the orders of Head Office I will encourage the belief in Intelligent Design, because it upsets everyone.

Resolution #8: Stop Googling myself.

Aziraphale:
Resolution #1: Spread peace and love and glad tidings of great joy throughout the world. Also try to get out more.

Resolution #8: Thwart Infernal Wiles (ongoing).

Resolution #10: On the orders of Head Office I will encourage the belief in Intelligent Design – despite the fact that the human airway crosses the digestive tract. Who thought that was intelligent?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Crossposted from sakeriver:

-----------------------------------

1. Tilt my head down more. (I have a habit of tilting my head back, causing neck strain.)

2. At least once a week, tackle the hardest thing left to be done.

3. Winnow down to less than 20 boxes of my stuff for moving day in July. [Edited to add: to keep myself honest, I'm restricting myself to the foldable, stackable cardboard boxes you put togther from Staples. Letter-size storage. This is a significant winnow, as the 20 will have to include winter clothes (as well as coat), shoes, books, everything.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
knit socks pretty much that's it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Do something that matters to eliminate malnutrition among children.

Go to sacrament meeting more often, at least 3 times a month.

Remember to fast.

Get my visiting teaching done early every month. Make goodies for my teachees.

Resume yoga practice and running.

Get my food intake back below 950 kcal a day.

Read more. Be online less. Write more.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to make a plan to find peace and happiness in my personal romantic life.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to stop watching so many stupid shows and ovies
and have Romance.

950 cal?
Is that healthy?

Need to write and publish and then run off with someone.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I didn't think I had many until I started typing them...

My resolutions are (in no particular order)
1. To eat better
2. To take a walk outside at least 3 times a week
3. To stop letting my my feelings about incompetent boss make me so miserable that I slack off at work
4. To be easier on my husband
5. To spend more time with my daughter
6. To read the Bible everyday
7. To find a way to witness to my friend who seems so lost in her life
8. To get half way out of debt this year (the other half will have to wait for next year)
9. To keep the house clean
10. To be more a more positive person

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The focus for the year is kindness.

Kind thoughts.
Kind words.
Kind acts.

To all critters. (Well, except maybe frightening bees and hairy spiders. But definitely for all people, no matter what, including myself.)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a 2000 calorie a day metabolism, you have to have at least 1200, or you go into starvation mode. I think.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Watch more TV - that is get a bigger one so there is more to watch.
2. Drive more - that is, get a bigger car so I have more to drive.
3. Get decent clothes (something besides computer tshirts and jeans).
4. Buy something in my Amazon wish list, preferably everything in it.
5. Buy more electronic gadgets.
6. Save more money.
7. Earn more money so I have more to spend/save. Or maybe just rob a bank.

No, really, here they are:

1. Make an animation.
2. Write some music.
3. Play my clarinet some time besides Christmas 2006.
4. Be free in Nov so I can participate in NaNoWriMo this year.
5. Join a choir or band and record some music.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
After last night I apparently have to review my resolution. I'm still gonna try and find something besides drinking to do while I am up here. Then I ended '05 unattached, and somehow found I was starting '06 with a new girlfriend [Eek!] .

'Tis a good year already. [Big Grin] Although it is kinda odd.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Lose 15 lbs.
Read the lessons before church on sunday
Take dance lessons with my husband

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out how to use double pointed needles, so I have the hard part done.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
My resolution is to do 20 or more pull ups in a row, run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less, and do 100 crunches in 2 minutes.

[ January 01, 2006, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Promethius ]

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only going to make one resolution this year: to be healthier. This has two parts. 1) Eat healthier. I'm going to start using my crock pot. I bought a new cookbook. I think if I know that there's food at home already cooked and waiting for me, I'll stop using the laziness excuse to go get fast food for dinner. I also want to go to the gym 3 times a week. I'm going to schedule training appointments in order to make this happen. I'll be much more likely to go if I know I need to keep an appointment rather than trying to self motivate. [Wink]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I will continue to not drink soda and eat very little ice cream.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My only resolution is the same one my friend had last year: at this time next year, have less to apologize for.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

pH and Synesthesia: I know most people need a lot more calories than I. I have this super efficient metabolism, though, that defies the law of conservation of energy. [Smile] I won't lose weight on 950 calories a day unless I'm doing intense exercise for about 2 hours a day. 950 kcal for me will maintain my current weight unless I'm really working out like crazy. And yes, I'm freezing cold most of the time despite wearing lots of layers.

I'm very careful to get complete nutrition, including at least 8 gms of protein for every 10 kg of current body weight. At least half that protein is from milk or eggs or other source with a complete set of essential amino acids. (Usually more, since I got sick of the soy protein powder I was using for the other half. [Big Grin] ) Egg whites are a great cheap source of protein.

I also take potassium, calcium, and magnesium supplements, lots of Vitamin C, and a multivitamin. Oh, and I forgot I don't count non-starchy vegetables toward my calorie total. That probably means my real calorie total is around 1000.

Anyway, decreasing your calories while still maintaining adequate nutrition has been shown to extend life (probably because your metabolism slows) in nearly every creature in the entire animal kingdom, so I don't think what I'm doing is unhealthy. Eating more and gaining weight gradually year after year would be far less healthy for me. I don't suppose this is a good diet for everyone but it turns out to be the least harmful one I can come up with for me. My endocrinologist and dietician helped me to choose it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Someone should find the thread from last year and bump it (if it's still around). It would be cool to see if we kept our resolutions, also if we made the same resolutions two years running. [Smile] I personally can't remember if I made any resolutions last year at all. I guess that shows how effective they are as life changers, at least for some of us slackers. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.