FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the best Christmas song of all time?

Author Topic: What's the best Christmas song of all time?
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
In listening to tons of holiday jams over the last couple of weeks, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite Christmas tune is "Charlie Brown Christmas" (I even did my own version of it to express my fandom). The song captures the excitement and mood of Christmas without a lot of sappy or antiquated lyrics.

What about you?

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Fairytale of New York, definitely!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
White Christmas
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
All I Want For Christmas Is a Real Good Tan

Kenny Chesney

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the pop stuff.
Veni, Veni (english words Oh Come, Oh Come Emanuel)

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I was tempted to go for that as well, Artemisia.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hallelujah Chorus
Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hallelujah is an Easter tune. The show was written for Easter and is in two acts. First one; Birth, Second one; Death and Resurection. Hallelujah is in the second act. Sometimes in this country folks only do the first act at Christmas time and add one or two songs from the second. However, it is still an Easter Carol.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting), but only as sung by Nat King Cole.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel is one of my favorite songs, but it's an Advent hymn.

For Christmas, I've always been fond of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. Also, of course, Silent Night.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Wizards of Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"O Holy Night" - especially the last verse.

quote:
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His Gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His Name all oppression shall cease.

Something to work towards.

All the verses of "It came Upon a Midnight Clear".

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Carol of the Bells
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Silent Night.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

From Wikipedia:
"Although the text is devoted to resurrection and salvation, and the work was conceived
and first performed for Easter, it has become traditional since Handel's death to perform the Messiah oratorio during Advent, the preparatory period of the Christmas season, rather than at Easter. Christmas concerts often feature only the first section of
Messiah plus the "Hallelujah" Chorus, although some ensembles like the
Montréal Symphony Orchestra, Boston's
Handel and Haydn Society, and New York's Musica Sacra feature the entire work as a Christmas concert."

Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by David Bowles:
In listening to tons of holiday jams over the last couple of weeks, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite Christmas tune is "Charlie Brown Christmas" (I even did my own version of it to express my fandom). The song captures the excitement and mood of Christmas without a lot of sappy or antiquated lyrics.

What about you?

I don't know what my favorite Christmas song is but I do really like your version of the Charlie Brown tune.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
DB: That one is one of my favorites and I really like your version. Nicely done.

The songs that stick in my head (and LOVE to sing) are:

- The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)
- Silent Night (sung simply and straight as written)
- Do You Hear What I Hear (our band did an AWESOME version of this last Sunday)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Christmas Song sung ONLY by Nat King Cole
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I also like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen---jazz version. That song has the best bass line.

I also like Greensleeves. That's just a cool song.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Silent Night is my favorite "serious one"
The charlie brown one has special meaning to me (I'll listen to your's soon DB)
There's also something special about Let There be Peace on Earth, performed by people you know and respect (my old orchestra and Tim Noble Distinguished Professor of Music from IU.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Veni, Veni" is one of my favorites, along with "Do you hear what I hear?"

I also like the Little Drummer Boy, as long as it isn't "jazzed up" with a beat, or band, or whatever. Simple, straight singing, with one drum (the one in the song).

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
A Chilly Charlie Brown Christmas is my new favorite.

It kind of reminds me of a young unjaded David hanging in the hood in South Texas on a warm Christmas morn.

Happy Holidays David [Big Grin]

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

DB, listening to your music made me feel I'd just returned from a great Christmas party!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I like almost every version of The Christmas Song that I've heard. Sure, Nat King Cole's is the definitive one, but there are other excellent versions out there. It's just a great song.

My own version, for instance, sung in the shower or at odd moments throughout the year, is rather fetching.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
"O Holy Night" is superb, and I feel a need to mention "This Christmas," by Donny Hathaway as my Mom's favorite Christmas song.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I second "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." I love the lyrics.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Carol of the Bells.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll third "I Heard The Bells" That last verse is making me cry just thinking about it - especially now.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Adeste Fidelis/ O Come, All Ye Faithful. Close second, Silent Night (which was originally in German and has been translated into something like 35 languages.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, i'm pretty sure (although not positive) that your what you call The Charlie Brown Christmas song is actually called "Linus and Lucy", and is a more generic Peanuts tune, and not Christmas-centric. Although of course everyone equates it with Christmas because of the movie.

Actually, my vote would either be for "Chrismastime is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas or "The Christmas Song" sung by Nat King Cole.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
Gesu Bambino
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Snoopy's Christmas, by the Royal Guardsmen
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole, but also the MoTabs)
O Holy Night
Silent Night

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
"Xmas bells, those Xmas bells
Ringing through the land,
Bringing peace to all the earth,
And good will to man"

(chorus to Snoopy and the Red Barron's toast)

I have always enjoyed a special version of "Mary's Boy Child Jesus Christ." NOT the version by Harry Bellefonte, but a version featuring a girl singer, I believe. It has a second part--like a medley-- with another song. Both are performed a tad quicker than the hit as recorded by Harry in the late 50s (almost like a "rock" beat and tempo). I have no idea who did the recording and I haven't heard it for several years.

Another favorite would have to be the opening song in the movie "Toys," featuring Robin Williams. It is a song faeturing a "Xmas Tree" formation of singers and is supposed to be a student's Xmas program for their parents in the school auditorium. The whole idea and presentation of the number is great as the students AND the parents all get involved. Everybody should go to their local library and checkout this video and watch the opening sequence (especially before Xmas).

Sorry, I got carried away!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Trans-Siberian Orchestra -- Christmas Eve Sarajevo

It's based on Carol of the Bells, if you haven't heard it.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Carol of the Bells is awesome, too. Krank: sup, homie? Still schlepping it over with McAllen ISD?

I'd like a recording of Bob singing in the shower.

Audio only, of course.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Silent Night is my favorite "serious one"

Ah yes... but I don't think one can truely appreciate it until you've walked out in to cold Christamas Eve, where the sky is clear and the world gleams with moonlit sparkles off a snowy winterscape. All accented with glimmers of the aurora, crackling above. The silence becomes a presence, walking with you as your boots crunch with each step in the snow.

The trouble with growing up in the middle of Alaska...

You miss those silent nights...

quote:
Originally posted by boogashaga:
Another favorite would have to be the opening song in the movie "Toys," featuring Robin Williams. It is a song faeturing a "Xmas Tree" formation of singers and is supposed to be a student's Xmas program for their parents in the school auditorium. The whole idea and presentation of the number is great as the students AND the parents all get involved.

Actually it's the Toy company's Christmas Party. The song is called "The Closing of the Year(Main Theme)".

[ December 23, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Historian ]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Judy Garland's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot about "Mary's Boy Child", by Boney M! That's another one I've always liked.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I love "Mary's Boy Child" by Boney M... one of the best Christmas songs out there.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Christmas Time In Hell" from South Park.

But seriously, I'd be torn between The Carol of The Bells, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Toy Trains by Roger Miller

I don't know about best of all time but certainly a personal favorite.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Hallelujah Chorus
Händel? Naa... I'd go with the 5th movment of the Chrismas Orotorias (sp?) by Saint John Sebastian Bach.

How about "Come all Ye Faithful"? It's got a lovely tune which we (aka: family) adapt to the Song of Ascending Ps 12...6? on Saturdays adjacent to Christmas (return to Zion, etc). Last year it was perfect. [Razz]

But one of my all-time favourite Christmas tunes is "Wache Dich mein Hertze Rein" (sp?) from the St Matthew's Passion.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Adeste Fideles
Silent Night
We thre Kings

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
The Chipmunk Song.

Carol of the Bells.

O Holy Night.

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24.

Scratch that last one, anything by TSO will do.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
How about "Come all Ye Faithful"?
That's what I said. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.