FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Defiling baseball

Author Topic: Defiling baseball
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky

I'm in complete agreement with the author. Not only becasue of my Cuban heritage, but because there is no logical reason why Cuba should not be allowed to aply in the WBC. Stop being so stuck up U.S. government! Maybe they were on the bad guys' side 40-50 years ago, but isn't this whole "We don't like Cuba" thing a little old already?

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa . . . . I'm not opposed to letting Cuba play--more opportunities for defections that way! But:

quote:
Maybe they were on the bad guys' side 40-50 years ago, . . .
o_O

You have Cuban heritage and you don't know that Cuba today is a vicious dictatorship that regularly tops the watchlists of Amnesty International, Journalists Without Borders, Human Rights Watch, and other international human rights advocacy groups?

I'm Cuban-American, and I personally find trivializing Castro's atrocities offensive.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Having read the article now, while I again don't disagree with the main point, Bauman's trivializing of Castro's record, past and future, and of my particular community, disgusts me as well.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
By allowing the Cuban team to participate we would have to disallow the participation of Cuban defectors like Livan and Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and other Cuban starts.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
By allowing the Cuban team to participate we would have to disallow the participation of Cuban defectors like Livan and Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and other Cuban starts.
erm, do the rules say they would have to play for their birthcountries? Because all those guys are American citizens, and I'd be willing to bet none of them would want to play for Cuba.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
They all ASKED to play representing cuba.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, you're right. The article got me excited becasue it was the frist article I've seen about Cuban baseball in a long time. I was so wrapped up wanting cuba to play, that I forgot the main reasons they aren't.

Logic: Edit: What Icarus said.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Paul, I have not succeeding in verifying your claim. Could you document it, please?
Icarus
Member # 3162

According to Wikipedia, Livan expressed interest in pitching for Puerto Rico.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269095

The players essentially asked that they be allowed to form an independent team which would not be officially a cuban team, but which would be made up entirely of cuban players playing as cubans.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, here's what I found at wbcblog.com:

quote:
Cubans want to play

After U.S. Government reject the Cuba to play in World Baseball Classic, Cuban-American ballplayers had something to say.

According to New York Suns, lots of Cuban-American ballplayers, including Livan and Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez, will meet in Miami to form an independent association for free Cuban players.

The Federacion de beisbol profesional de Cuba, or the Cuban Professional Baseball Federation, will provide voice for Cuban-American ballplayers who feel uniquely excluded from World Baseball Classic and other international competitions, the organizer Omar Claro said.

World Baseball Classic tournament invited 16 members of the International Baseball Federation, including Cuba. However the Treasury Department denied permission to allow the Cuban team to play last week.

Before the Treasury Department’s decision, Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, a Republican of Florida, had written to Commissioner Bud Selig, asking that the 22 Cuban-American players in the major leagues, and the 62 players in the minor leagues, be allowed to compete for a free Cuba, but the suggestion has been rejected by Major League Baseball.

Anyway, Eddie Oropeza of the San Diego Padres and sports anchor for Miami’s Univision station Omar Claro, started to reach out Cuban-American players in the major and minor leagues to confirm their opinion, and find the overwhelming majority of players supported this idea.

Other confirmed players include Livan and Orlando Hernandez, former Chicago Cubs shortstop Rey Ordonez, former pitcher for Cincinnati Reds Osvaldo Fernandez. Based on Claro, those players will likely join the federation, and there were enough different positions players to form a complete team.

But World Baseball Classic official said that if Cuba cannot play, another country will be invited instead of allowing a team of free Cubans due to team must be organized by national federations.

The new group being formed in Miami this week, Claro said, would constitute a new federation, playing for a “free Cuba”. Even if the “team” is not allowed to play in the World Baseball Classic, Claro said, it will still provide organizational backing for future international competitions, and will work to encourage players in Cuba to seek freedom in America.

It will also serve as a needed voice for the Cuban-American players, Claro said, felt betrayed by the players’ union, which last week issued a joint statement with Major League Baseball supporting the participation of Castro’s Cuba over the objections of Cuban-American players.

The new group will also serve as a symbol for the struggle for Cuba’s liberty, Mr. Claro said. “It’s for justice,” he said of the federation.

Diaz-Balart, who will meet with the group, said: “What we’re going to try to do is let the world know that Cuban players have rights, too.” He was joined this weekend by several members of Congress, who wrote to Selig urging him to reconsider his opposition to a free Cuban team.

Rep. Christopher Smith, a Republican of New Jersey, said that he would probably introduce “sense of the Congress” legislation supporting free Cuban participation in the World Baseball Classic. “This is a dictatorship, one of the worst in the world, and we cannot just act as if things are business as usual when it comes to such an egregious violator of human rights,” Smith said.

According to the Washington Times, Diaz-Balart said. “They are organizing and want to play together as a team.” “These Cuban players are the only ones in the major and minor leagues who can’t play for their country of origin,”

“The players union, which is supposed to be representing these players, is just following the company line of Major League Baseball, which in turn is doing what Castro wants. That is a sick policy.” Diaz-Balart also said. “All other national baseball associations want major leaguers to play for their teams.”

“But because Castro says they are nonpersons because they defected or their families left Cuba, now these players have no rights. I think that is ridiculous.”

It is possible major leaguers of Cuban heritage who were born in the United States — like former Baltimore Oriole Rafael Palmeiro — could participate as well. It is not clear where the rest of the players would come from to field a team.

12/21/05

Not the same thing at all. This article says they want to play as "Free Cuba," and not representing Castro's dictatorship. In fact, the players named here specifically take issue with the players' union call for Castro's Cuba to be allowed to play.

EDIT: Your previous post was not up when I began working on this one. See next post.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, I had not seen your post, because I was researching this myself.

Clearly, though, that is not what you said.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

I disagree. THey do not want to represent castro, but they do want to represent their homeland, ie, cuba. *shrug* They want to represent their country, but bot the politics of their country.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, but in the context of the conversation as it was back then, your post rather strongly implied that they wanted to play for Cuba as it exists now, which was, frankly, unfathomable.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

"erm, do the rules say they would have to play for their birthcountries? Because all those guys are American citizens, and I'd be willing to bet none of them would want to play for Cuba."

This was your statement.

I'm not sure how you get from that to this

"Okay, but in the context of the conversation as it was back then, your post rather strongly implied that they wanted to play for Cuba as it exists now, which was, frankly, unfathomable."

using this

"They all ASKED to play representing cuba."

as a bridge.

Really, I don't get it. I'm sorry you were confused, but I don't see anything in your post, to which I was responding, or my post, that says that they wanted to represent the political system, rather then their homeland.

Icarus
Member # 3162

This is a silly point to be arguing over, but since I can't let things go:

quote:
I'd be willing to bet none of them would want to play for Cuba.
Since the idea of playing "for Cuba" but not for Castro had not been mentioned in the thread, and is not an obvious one*, clearly I'm talking about playing for the nation of Cuba as it currently exists. Your post following that would most reasonably be interpreted as meaning that they had expressed a desire to play for the nation of Cuba, not for Cuba-en-el-exilio. Certainly nothing in your post indicated otherwise.

But whatever, I misunderstood, then, and we're clear now.

* And is not a possibility in any case, since MLB has already said that if the nation of Cuba is not allowed to play, they will invite another nation to take its place.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.