FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help, please

Author Topic: Computer help, please
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at my dad's house and he wants help. He has cable internet access and wants to be able to leave the computer on. The computer should be able to be instructed to go into some sort of hibernation mode. Anyway, usually the screensaver won't go on, sometimes it will, but it NEVER goes into hibernation mode. This is a Windows XP desktop Dell Dimension 8400. I don't really know how hibernation/power saver modes work but I've played around on it and ordered it to go into hibernation after an hour of idleness and nothing seems to take effect. He says the computer told him this morning that it failed to hibernate, to try again, and if it still doesn't work that there was a problem with the communications port (com 1) device. How do we fix this? I don't really understand what the port thing means so please use small words for us if you have suggestions, thanks.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
right click on the wallpaper go to where you select a screen saver and look for the energy saving options.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
For testing purposes make the time to hibernate like 1 minute.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I've already tried that, it doesn't enter the hibernate mode like it is set to do. It just doesn't do it.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Something might be making the computer think the mouse is in motion. Anything on the table/desk vibrating?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The common culprit at our house are kitties that like to climb on desks...

Is there some program running that keeps taking it out of hibernation?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually it is the mouse...particularily if it is an optical mouse.

I have the same problem. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

This is a regular old mouse, wired, with the ball. No pets here. Remember, the computer actually says that hibernation failed, so it knows something is wrong.
Stephan
Member # 7549

To test, disconnect the mouse and see if it goes into hibernation.
Theaca
Member # 8325

I can do that, but I don't think that is the problem. It wouldn't tell me it failed if it thought the mouse was in motion. Also the mininum time to hibernation I am allowed to pick is one hour, so I can't do that till later. I think this is some sort of communication or program failure.
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
There may also be a setting for sleep and/or Hibernation in the Bios that will have to be turned on...
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You ?are? going into
Settings
Control Panel
Power Options
setting Power Schemes
and then into Hibernation
???
Doesn't sound like it from your description of a one hour minimum. But if you are, the problem may be that your father's computer is a zombie -- ie hijacked by a virus/etc -- slaved to another computer user.

[ December 23, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Added a whit to the above to clarify.

Another possibility is that your father has a BitTorrent-style distributed file-sharing program on board -- possibly one not obvious, eg MovieFone -- and before the Hibernation kicks in, the distributed file-sharing program is called upon to send data to another file-share network user. Thereby resetting the Hibernation timer.

[ December 23, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I've tried that way of setting hibernation also. I tried it yesterday and it didn't work. I'll try that again--that one does allow shorter time periods. Here is what the computer said when I walked back in:

The device driver for the 'Communication port(com1) device is preventing the machine from entering standy. Close all applications and try again. If the problem persists you may need to update this device.

Theaca
Member # 8325

Yeah, I just tried what aspectre suggested and I got the same message.
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
quick google =
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=449

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, hibernate and standby quit working. I don't have an answer for you other than to tell you that it's not just that computer. I've had it happen on other laptops before now - 2, I think.

My current laptop stopped being able to do standby a month ago, and yesterday, decided to fail on hibernate. Well, it failed the day before as well, but last night, I tried forcing hibernate and it refused.

I'll be looking for answers to this as well.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop has never been able to go into standby or hibernation mode. I've given up trying. Last time I tried, I seemed to recall it complaining about some keyboard driver or some such (tweren't me, I keeps all my drivers current-like!)
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Well, Chreese's link might have worked. I'll test it some more today.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My hibernate suddenly started working again. [Dont Know] Maybe the planets are all in alignment...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.