FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Being sick during the holidays

Author Topic: Being sick during the holidays
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate being sick, but it's much worse when it happens during the holidays. Right now I have severe bronchitis... and the coughing is so bad that I have bruised a rib, which, let me tell you hurts like the Dickens (A Christmas Carol is not my favorite Christmas story). I am unable to cough without severe pain, it also hurts to breathe in deeply, reach for anything above my head, and pretty much move in general. By far though the worst is the fact that it hurts to laugh! Grrrrrr. It made me cry to read the Christmas Pun Smack down... because reading it made me laugh! No Fair! It kinda makes me want my mommy! And of course, Kwea is working until midnight, so I have followed doctors orders, and taken the mytussin AC (cough medicine with codeine) so hopefully now that I am starting to get a bit woozy (codeine knocks me on my butt), I will be able to sleep. I hope that I feel better for Christmas, but the Dr said that it takes a long time for bruised ribs to heal and that they can hurt like a... well, a lot! ( Santa is coming you know so I am trying to be good and not use bad words.)
On a positive note, I have all of Kwea's gifts wrapped (except the one that is coming special delivery from Massachusetts) and he has no clue what any of them are(except a certain dvd that recently arrived in stores), so I am really happy about that.

To anyone else who is sick this Holiday Season, I send my prayers for a quick recovery and wish you the best of Holidays, whichever one you celebrate. At the risk of offending someone, I will say Merry Christmas as well.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. [Frown] I've had bronchitis before a few times, and every time I coughed, I ended up dislocating ribs or putting my back out or that sort of thing. [Frown] One thing that helped, though, was an inhaler for when I had a hard time breathing. You might want to talk to your doc about that if your breathing is difficult.

I'll send you some healing prayers as well - feel better soon!

Merry Christmas. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Get better soon.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it stinks big time. Jon Boy and I have had a bad case of the flu. It's so hard to maintain the Christmas spirit when your days consist of Kleenex, tylenol, robitussin, and bed.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the hopsital (yes I misspelled that purposely...Kwea calls it "Jenni Speak"), and I had a breathing treatment and x-rays. They ruled out pamonia (that would be pneumonia for all you non Jenni-Speak proficient people), but I do have severe (chronic) bronchitis and they gave me 3 different meds to take to help me feel better. Thank you to the people who sent me happy thoughts to feel better. Hopefully I will do so soon.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's terrible. I couldn't eat much the last week or so and the sensitivity to cold is only just now fading, which means any cold drinks or food was out.

I didn't eat anything at my daughter's birthday party, I cooked Christmas dinner for everyone else but didn't eat anything. I've been so tired and cold I spent most of the time huddled on the couch.

It's very upsetting, I cried for 30 minutes the other day because I didn't have the strength to take my kids to a birthday party for one of their friends. The little boy's mother called me and begged me to let them come, because he wanted them there, but someone else had to come pick them up and take them and bring them home, I just couldn't do it.

I hate, hate, hate being sick when there is so much to do!

I feel for you Jenni, and hope you are doing better. I've had severe bronchitis before and I remember how the coughing just wore me out and made me sore. Take good care of yourself, get a lot of rest, your body needs it. *gentle hugs*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Being sick for the holidays is the ultimate example of adding insult to injury. Here's hoping y'all feel better very soon.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.