FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cookies, Anyone? Now with pictures!

Author Topic: Cookies, Anyone? Now with pictures!
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
We made our traditional "Camel Cookies" today. No, they don't have camel in them, they're just shaped like camels. They're incredible. I'll share the recipe if anyone wants it. Anyone out there have favorite holiday cookies they'd like to share?

[ December 24, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Tinros ]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see your recipe, Tinros.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see it! I made two "cheesecakes" (that's what cheesecake is in my family) last night, and we're having sugar cookies, brownies, gumdrop cookies, and forgotten cookies-- all our Christmas traditions-- tonight for dessert with the cheesecake. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate cookies.

Oh, oops. This is a culinary thread; not a PC one.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
Head those camel cookies in this direction, please.
Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Fortner Traditional Camel Cookies:

Ingredients: 1 c. shortening, 1 c. sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 c. thick sour cream, 4 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Directions: Cream shortening, add sugar and mix well. Add beaten egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition. Form desired shapes on ungreased aluminum cookie sheet(we use a cookie press with a camel shape to squeeze the dough onto the sheets, but you can do whatever you like). Yeild 10 dozen. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until VERY light brown. THey should be fairly crunchy when cooled.

If I had a way to post pictures, I would, but I don't know how to do that, sos orry, but I can't show you what ours look like.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, do you have digital photos? If you do, you can upload them to a free photo hosting service like Flickr and then provide the URL here.

And I'm really disappointed that there aren't any camels in them. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd walk a mile for a camel cookie!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Sorry, Tante, it's a little more than a mile from New Jersey to Ohio. Quid, I have digital photos, but I'm not very computer savvy and I don't know how to get them onto my computer in the first place. [Frown]
Tinros
Member # 8328

Actually, my daddy helped me, so they're on my computer, I'm just trying to figure out how this Flickr thing works.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Does http://www.flickr.com/photos/43859236@N00/ work?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum! I can see the cookies! Are any of those lovely ladies you?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm the blonde one wearing all black, second from the left in the Homecoming picture.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Erin? Very nice.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Si. That picture is of "The Trio" (Aryn, my best friend, ME Erin, and another friend named Erin make up "The Trio" of Erin/Aryns.) and our friend Bridget.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The Celtic gang, as it were.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, for not being computer savvy, you sure managed real well. [Smile]

The camel cookies are [Cool] And yep, you are a lovely lady. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Actually, i'm the only one that has any Irish ancestors- I was born with red hair, but it changed to blonde when I was about three, and was almost white for a while, but it's gotten darker. I like it the way it is at the moment- not to light, not too dark. I'm also proud of being a "smart" blonde.

We call Aryn the "LoTR" Aryn because of the way she spells her name. It's just cool.

Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
And yep, you are a lovely lady.

With the exception of the farmer's tan left over from band camp, I don't look as bad in those pictures as I normally do. Keep in mind, those are homecoming pictures, so I look COMPLETELY different than I do in real life.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So what? Do you think any of us, most of us, some of us are raving beauties in real life all the time? (That's for those who attain status of raving beauty at least some of the time...) Even models, when not made up and wearing the fancy clothes, can look as ratty as the next person having a bad day.

Honestly, cut yourself some slack. You are a lovely lady. Believe it. [Smile]

Tinros
Member # 8328

Ok, I'll believe it. But I'm not half as good looking as those cookies. [Hail]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is any of us as good looking as any cookie? I do believe that if presented with me on the one hand and a plate of cookies on the other, my husband would have a difficult choice! [Razz]

That's why I make sure I'm the one holding the plate of cookies. [Laugh]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Your husband is a VERY lucky man, kq. I might have to try walking wround school with a plate of cookies in my hand- then maybe I'd attract some male attention. Either that or an XBox 360.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And in my case, holding the brownies. [Big Grin] Cuz I need more power than a mere cookie will provide. [Razz]
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, works every time. Load up the old food cart and get a date! And these camel cookies are almost like a makeover.
Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm sorry, Rember, but when you say food cart, I automatically think of Harry Potter and the ugly old witch pushing the food trolley. Well, if it can help HER get a date...

Pumpkin Pastey, anyone?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.