FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Party games

Author Topic: Party games
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A complementary thread to the recent toy and board games threads:

What sort of party games do you like to play? (Party game = a game that you make up yourself and that you don't need to buy.)

Toe fencing is a favorite of mine: two people face each other, raise their arms up and grasp each other's hands... then the object of the game is to be the first person to touch the other person's toes 3 times with your own toes. VERY energetic game -- lots of mad jumping about...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think you have made a pretty narrow category if you have to make up the game, though many people do.

But, fine.

One game we play at parties is Extreme Croquet. We set up the course on a hill, over holes, etc, and make a rule that the last person to each wicket takes a swig of their beer/drink.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Charades.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
One game we play at parties is Extreme Croquet. We set up the course on a hill, over holes, etc, and make a rule that the last person to each wicket takes a swig of their beer/drink.

This sounds like an excellent drinking game. I must try this sometime.

Can it be a game involving other, previously purchased games but not including their rules?

At camp a few years ago, we made up a game just involving tossing cards into a box. The game was played by making a circle around the box and handing out complete decks to each individual player. Each deck is very unique from the others. At the sound of a bell, everyone tries to toss their cards into the box at once thus causing many in-air collisions between cards- to both the benefit and detriment of players- and general mayem.

In the end, the cards are removed from the box, sorted and counted. The person with the most cards in the box wins. Simple and tons of fun. We played it for hours upon hours.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Er, bad phrasing, by "making up the game" I just mean that it's not a game you have to buy. Charades is a fine example.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I INVENTED charades! We did it at a party, and everyone had a blast. Then the people at our party attended other parties, introducing the game virally. Turned into quite the epidemic.

(OK. I didn't really invent charades. It was all a lie.)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Human Knot.
Everybody stands in a circle, and grabs someone's hand with thier right hand (except the people next to you). Then everyone grabs someone's hand with thier left hand (not the same person, and not someone next to you). Then everybody tries to untangle (without letting go, of course) until they are all in a circle again. It gets very interesting when people have to climb over/under each other, and twist around. It's really fun. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
Two good improv games:
The Scream
How it Works
Everybody in a circle, watch the ground. On your sign, everybody lifts their head
and either looks straight, left or right. Whenever 2 people look each other in the
eyes, they scream as loud as they can, as if they're startled, and then drop dead.
Repeat till only one or 2 players are alive.

Zip Zap Zoop
How it Works
Everybody in a circle. Start with one person, who waves both hands to his/her neighbor,
saying 'Whoosh'. The next person passes the Whoosh to his neighbor, and that way
the Whoosh is passed around the circle.
There's 4 other sounds/movements that can be made.
'Wow': indicated by saying Wow, and moving both arms down. A Wow changes the direction
of the Whoosh
'Zap': instead of passing the Whoosh to your neighbor, it gets zapped to the person
you point to. The receiver continues with either a Whoosh to his neighbor, or another
Zap to another person. A Wow after a Zap returns to the Zapper.
'Groooooooovelicious': for this one the whole group bends down and up again in a
kinda groovy way, all saying Groooooooovelicious. Afterwards, the person who started
the Groovelicious sets the Whoosh in motion again, in any direction.
'Freakout': indicated by waving both hands in the air. Everybody starts screaming
and moves to the center of the circle. When everybody's freaked out a new circle
is formed, and the starter of the Freakout sets the Whoosh in motion again (or Zaps,
or does a Grooooooovelicious).

Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...and Mafia is good, too. [Wink]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
ten fingers
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
ten fingers is popular with my friends.

Personally I like to play spoons, scattergories, or that game with the little hand held device that gives you a word you have to get everyone else to guess, and it beeps like a hot potato, and whoever gets stuck with it when it goes off loses.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cornhole
http://www.playcornhole.org/

My dad told me about this game, which is popular in the Midwest and the South. It involves throwing a cornbag(as opposed to a beanbag)through a hole. It sounds corny, but fun.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
ten fingers is popular with my friends.

Personally I like to play spoons

I'm not familiar with those games, but it does sound like you go to some, um, wild parties. I'm imagining a more adult version of a "spin the bottle" party.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mafia.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoons is a very tame card game.

Unless you play it with forks. Then it can get vicious.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I know of two versions of "playing spoons". One involves some very close snuggling in a side-lying position.

The other involves banging spoons together rhythmically against your body.

I didn't know that it was also a card game. Live and learn.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tame? I've never seen a tame game of spoons. Forks, spoons, or ballpoint pens (no spoons in the airport), it is universally vicious. However, if by "tame" you mean "nothing whatsoever to do with an adult version of spin-the-bottle," I concur.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I have known people to play Spoons with open knives. *shudder*
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, spoons with open knives means I lose. And quickly. But I've always enjoyed a good game of spoons provided it isn't the only thing going on. A prolonged game of spoons during conversations is hilarious.

As for bought games, I've always been fond to Guesstures. Similar to charades at times, and much fun to be had there.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The Name Game. Divide into two teams, everyone writes a ton of names on little slips of paper (cartoon characters, actors, authors, political figures, a person known to all at the party, whoever). Put all the slips of paper together in a pile. Then it's sorta like Charades or pictionary, except w/ words: You have a minute to pick up papers from the pile, describe them to your team, they guess, on to the next one, etc. The fun comes in when you have no idea who the name on that slip is. Make up your own rules about what you are allowed to say or not say (ie, "sounds like," "starts with same letter as mouse," or whatever.) Whichever team has the most correct guesses winse. It's a lot of fun, especially with a well-read crowd.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

"The Ha-Ha Game" or "Belly Laughs": get a bunch of people lieing down on their backs in a circle, each person has their head on the stomach of the person next to them. Start going around the circle, with each person saying "Ha ha." Pretty soon there'll be a chain reaction of folks giggling and laughing... [Smile]
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a version of spoons, that you put them across the room and they you have to run and get them. It's not as secritive, but it's fun.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
The game catchphrase is always a good game. It's only $20 and it provides hours of entertainment.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever explained what "ten fingers" was.

When I was really little and still had sleepovers, my friends and I used to play "piggly wiggly." One person is sent out of the room. While they are gone, the rest of the people hide in random sleeping bags(or under blankets). The person then comes in and sits on a random sleeping bag, saying "piggly wiggly." The person inside the bag has to say "oink oink" while disguising their voice. If the person on top guesses the inside person's voice correctly, the inside person becomes the guesser and everyone hides again. There is a VERY adult version of that game, but I'm not going to describe it here. Heck, I'm ashamed to KNOW it.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
We called that game oink piggy oink. One person was blind folded and had a pillow. They would hit someone with the pillow and say oink piggy oink and have to guess who it was, when the person oinked.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a PAL sponsor and a group leader, I am the queen of these kind of games.

The Duck Game: Everyone sits in a circle and you take an object to pass around (I use a toy duck). person A starts and says to anyone in the circle NOT sitting next to them, "Do you want to buy a duck?"
Person B says, "A what?"
A: "A duck"
B: Does it quack?"
A: "It quacks."
B gives it to C and repeats the first line, "Do you want to buy a duck?"
C: says, "A what?"
B (to A): "A what?"
A: "A duck."
B (to C): "A duck."
C: "Does it quack?"
B (to A): Does it quack?"
A: "It quacks."
It keeps going until everyone has bought the duck. It is very easy to understand the rules if you are playing but it is hard to type them out. Ugh! I will post more later.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tame? I've never seen a tame game of spoons. Forks, spoons, or ballpoint pens (no spoons in the airport), it is universally vicious. However, if by "tame" you mean "nothing whatsoever to do with an adult version of spin-the-bottle," I concur.
quote:
I have known people to play Spoons with open knives. *shudder*
Um, yeah, thanks, but I'll just pass on forks, pens, and knives. *rubs scars on hands*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody has explained "Spoons" yet . . .

[Grumble]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ten fingers is when you go around in a circle (some people play with all ten fingers extended and some play with the hands as fists) and each person says something that they have never done. This game is also called Never Have I Ever. For example, someone will say, Never have I ever eaten sushi. Anyone who HAS done that, will either put a finger down or a finger up, depending on how you started. Usually the never-have-I-evers are not that tame, as you can imagine O_o

Oh and sometime you are required to tell stories behind why you lost the finger (or gained or whatever). First person to move all ten fingers "wins".

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

PS My friends and I play spoons with shoes. Somehow it makes it more fun. The way we play is everyone is delt four cards. Everyone also puts in one spoon (or whatnot) into the center of the circle you sit in (usually on the floor to avoid fatalities O_o) except for one person, so it is like musical chairs. Then one person starts the process off by picking up a card from the remainder of the deck and passing it around the circle. The point is to get four of a kind, and the first person to do this grabs a spoon and everyone else, seeing this, will do the same with the last person who doesn't get a spoon loses the round and is kicked out of the circle. The way you get four of a kind is you keep the card that comes around if it may help you and you will give up one of your cards to pass around the circle. So basically there is a circle of people passing many cards around (the first person keeps taking them from the deck and passing them).. it's quite intense, lol.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
What a fun thread! I think this game is called "Stop/Go". One person is "The Director". The Director assigns two people to come to the stage or center of where everybody is. He puts them in funny positions and then says "Go". The two people improv and act out a mini skit that makes their original positions make sense. The director can say "Stop" whenever they want and typically they wait for another funny position to appear. The director assigns another person to take the position of one person in the skit and the original person takes a seat. When the director says "Go" again, the two people must come up with a completely different scenerio for the new skit. Repeat until bored.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Myrd, I have no clue what you are saying, or what the purpose of the spoons is . . .

[Confused]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The purpose of spoons, my dear Icky, is to cause great pain to your fingers and knuckles and leave dark purple bruises for weeks afterwards.

There is no other purpose.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, can't beat "Thumbs" either.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Haha, I spose I shouldn't be explaining things at three in the morning with only one functioning eye!
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
I always lose at ten fingers and have therefore stopped introducing it at parties. As far as drinking games go, Scheissekopf is popular but only fun when you have a hat made out of a cowpie. Otherwise it is quite boring, as no one can be made a proper kopfler.

The Blanket Game... Thankfully I have always been privy to the rules!

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoons:

Lets say you have 5 people. Then there are 4 spoons in the center of a circle of people. Then you take a regular 52 card deck and deal out 4 cards to each player. The dealer then begins picking up cards off the deck. If he wants the card, that is if he thinks it'll help him get four of a kind he keeps it and takes a card from his hand and passes it to his neighbor. If he doesn't want the card he drew from the deck he just passes it to his neighbor. The neighbor does the same and it keeps going. Cards are passed around the circle until someone gets four of a kind. The first person to four of a kind may take a spoon from the center of the circle. Once a spoon has been taken from the center is open hunting on the spoons, anyone can grab one. The object is NOT to be the person left with out a spoon. Hence the violence. This is also the reason it is good to be the one to get four of a kind first, becuase it means you're assured a spoon. It can be played with many different kind of objects, basically anything that can be stuck in a pile in the middle of the circle and easily (or painfully) grabbed.

My personal favorite party game:

Sock wrestling.

The object of the game is to remove your oponents socks before they remove yours. No punching, kicking, going for pressure points, etc. Just plain old wrestling. Expect many rug burns and a few torn socks, but its sooo much fun [Smile]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Blanket Game... Thankfully I have always been privy to the rules!
You know you love that stupid, stupid game.

Ah, to be a purely hormonally charged teenager again.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, no, no thanks. Really.
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
(Haven't played it since camp. Never will play again. Still think it is hilarious.)
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

You can always measure someone for a coffin.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thank you, Alcon! [Smile]
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
MandyM's Mother in law has a great party game. Read it here or maybe she'll post it again. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
My current favorite is Cool Game (so called because someone once pulled a C and a G out of a bag). You need a paper and pencil for each player and a bag of letters (Scrabble tiles work well, but paper letters may be improvised). A timer of some sort is useful but not strictly necessary (three minutes is a good starting point). This game works best with more than 5 players -- I haven't yet found its upper limit.

One player pulls two letters out of the bag (say, P and S) and starts the timer. Everyone writes down phrases that those letters can stand for (salt and pepper, paul simon). When time's up, each player reads his list in turn, and points are awarded for _matching_ phrases. So, unlike Boggle, you get more points the _more_ people have the same phrase. If you wrote down "some pig" and nobdy else did, you don't get any points; if you wrote down "Standard and Poor's" and two other people did, each of those three people gets three points.

I like to use my own slight addendum to the scoring rules, which is that if you wrote down "postscript" and nobody else did, but everyone agrees that it's a valid phrase that they should've thought of, you get one point for it.

And I have another fun party game, but this one's a little more involved (you can't just drop in for a ten-minute round). Here it is:

One Thousand Blank White Cards: http://www.geocities.com/nconner23/bwcards.html

...Except that in my house, we use more like a hundred cards of various colors.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
One Thousand Blank Cards looks like a real hoot!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
That does like a cool game, but I am still not sure I understand the gameplay phase. Maybe it is just me.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's sort of like CalvinBall (from the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip)-- you make up the rules as you go along.

That is, the points don't really matter, because the real fun is in making up the weirdest, funniest, or least expected rules. Sort of like improv comedy in that aspect. If you've ever seen "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" you probably can use that as a fair analogy.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't played spoons in a long time, we need to remmedy this one soon.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
No spoons at my house, the last time it was attempted it gouged out a huge chunk of my kitchen table. Maybe we could play it on the floor, but I'm afraid to see what'll happen to the carpet.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

Spoons can be played out side.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.