FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not a Good Man Anymore, Charlie Brown-What Eliza Dushku is up to now..

Author Topic: Not a Good Man Anymore, Charlie Brown-What Eliza Dushku is up to now..
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
Click this!

I want to see it!

oh and i think C.S. is rolling in his grave.. [Wink]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
better website
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
That strikes me as just being cool as hell.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Eliza Dushku is an underrated actress. She is just one good role away from superstardom. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beren One Hand:
Eliza Dushku is an underrated actress. She is just one good role away from superstardom. [Smile]

Or only one good roll in the hay from lucrative infamy. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Either way I think we come out winners. [Razz]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Snoopy has terminal rabies?!? This is NOT acceptable.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it's keeping with the current trend of taking characters from the comics and revamping them to be as "edgy" as possible. Only in play form this time, instead of the official comics themselves.

"Gwen Stacy slept with the Green Goblin and had his kids!"

"The Justice League performs personality-altering mind-wipes on Batman!"

"It's the Peanuts gang...WITH ATTITUDE!"

Feh. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That strikes me as just being cool as hell.
Why? What's even REMOTELY cool about aging the kids in Peanuts?

The whole POINT of the strip is that they were advanced beyond their years, but still essentially innocent; they faced angst, ennui, and the ironies of life, but did so with the fresh-faced enthusiasm of children.

Removing the "childhood" aspect of it -- turning them into adults who face angst, ennui, and irony -- removes what makes the strip special. And from the sounds of it, they went ahead and took every wrong road, made every bad thing imaginable happen. That's not just dramatic; that's downright mean-spirited.

I mean, sure, Schroeder was almost guaranteed to wind up an abused gay pianist, struggling to make a buck in jazz bars. And Lucy and Charlie Brown probably tried dating some time in high school, only to have it end badly. And I always figured that Linus would consider taking a clerical collar, myself, or else Buddhism; he was always the Lisa Simpson of that crowd. But these things are self-evident projections, OBVIOUS extrapolations; why is it considered imaginative to put them to paper?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
^ points and agrees.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Great cast though.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Eliza Dushku in Bring it On.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wholeheartedly with Tom.

I would only add that it's not clever to create sophomoric mutations of pop culture. It's sophomoric.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's got it right. Especially about the mean-spirited part of it.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. It sounded entertaining to me.

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This disturbs me greatly. I just can't picture "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" with screwed up adults.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I love the idea of taking something broad, and iconic, and beloved, and clean, and making it unclean, and making it exist in a world that's a little more realistic.

Nobody can stay in that kind of idyllic childhood fog forever. And yeah, even though Charlie Brown was a pretty unlucky kid, and had his share of pathos, it *was* idyllic, and it wasn't about truth.

This feels like a commentary on the state of the world, and a pretty extreme example of the fact that people grow up, innocence gets lost, things change.

There is a kind of purity in doing that. I realize this is the kind of thing that makes most people pound on their desks... 'Why spoil the magic of Charlie Brown??'

But I love it. Or, rather, I love the idea of it -- since I haven't seen the play and for all I know it could be trash.

[ December 30, 2005, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: TL ]

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So why are _only_ the ugly, bad things that can happen "realistic"?

That's not realism, that's being "edgy". Relying on shock tactics to force a reaction.

It just doesn't sound very impressive. And this is coming from someone who felt the Peanuts characters peaked back in the late 60s and were fairly unfunny and irrelevevant since.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if Alan Moore was writing it, THAT would be interesting...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
See, TL, I think you misinterpreted our reaction. We're not saying "Oh, no! How could you?" so much as we're saying "Oh, really? Why bother?"

Honestly, anybody could have done this. It doesn't take all that much creativity to take someone else's product, screw it up in ways designed to get giggles out of people, and then turn it loose on the public.

Granted, as in the Alan Moore example, there are ways to do things like that creatively. Ways that enlighten us about the nature of the characters you're playing with. In this case, the ways they've altered the characters sounds like it reveals more about the writers than about the peanuts gang.

Tom's list of what happened to everyone was clever. Their list--again, the only word I can come up with is sophomoric.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the idea of taking something broad, and iconic, and beloved, and clean, and making it unclean, and making it exist in a world that's a little more realistic.
Why? I think this is worthwhile if there's additional depth to be discovered -- but making something "unclean" just for the sake of spoiling its cleanliness doesn't actually speak to the human condition in any way. And even worse: Peanuts was ALREADY unclean. People who don't understand this, IMO, don't understand the strip.

The world of Peanuts is a grim, rather terrible one; it's made bearable by innocence. Why do we need another depiction of a grim, terrible, and unbearable world -- especially when there are so many already out there?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

i mainly just want to see Eliza on stage...

i think it would be interesting to see it though. even though yeah...anyone could have thought of this..and it does seem to be trying to really go for the shock factor ...

I've been looking for a CHEAP reason to go to NYC...so this is it [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Of all the things on the New York stage over the last few years, you pick this one to be your reason?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the world of Peanuts is all that grim....adn I do get where you are comming from, I just don't agree with it, Tom.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Honestly, anybody could have done this. It doesn't take all that much creativity to take someone else's product, screw it up in ways designed to get giggles out of people, and then turn it loose on the public
That's not my interpretation of what this is.

Sue me, I like the idea. If you guys don't, that's perfectly cool. Plenty of room in this world for all kinds of different people to like all kinds of different things.

TL
Member # 8124

And...

quote:
So why are _only_ the ugly, bad things that can happen "realistic"?
If you wrote that to refute what I was saying, I'll just point out that I didn't say anything like that. If not, have on.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
That's not my interpretation of what this is.
What's your take on this, then?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
If you wrote that to refute what I was saying, I'll just point out that I didn't say anything like that. If not, have on.

Well, judging by the description of the play given the _only_ changes that happen to the characters when they get older are ugly ones.

This was termed this "making it exist in a world that's a little more realistic".

I disagree.

TL
Member # 8124

quote:
What's your take on this, then?
I already posted my take on this. My take on this is that I like it, and I think it's a fun idea, and I like the concept of taking the iconic Peanuts characters doing a little extrapolation. I think it's meant to be a commentary on lost innocence, which feels relevant to me, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen the play.

I think that's the last time I'm going to repeat myself, here. Something about it just feels pointless.

quote:
Well, judging by the description of the play given the _only_ changes that happen to the characters when they get older are ugly ones.

This was termed this "making it exist in a world that's a little more realistic".

I disagree.

You disagree? That's comical. Don't know if I even want to bother addressing that.
TL
Member # 8124

All right, I guess I will.

Puffy, first of all, I don't neccessarily agree that the _only_ changes that happen to the characters are ugly ones. Sex and drugs can be a lot of fun. Besides, neither of us has seen the play, so we can't make blanket assumptions like that. I'm not saying everything that happens in the play *isn't* hideous, because I haven't seen it. It might be. What I'm saying is, when I wrote "a world that's a little more realistic" it had nothing to do with any kind of ugliness.

That's your interpretation, not mine, and therefore that was not what I meant when I wrote that. And I think it's a little bit unreasonable to tell someone they said something they didn't say, and then when they say, 'hey that's not what I said' for your response to be 'I disagree.'

But if you want to make a personal judgement here, and take the stance that I, me, TL, Troy, the Troy-meister, consider only ugly and bad things to be "realistic" then be my guest.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I, too, disagree that it is not more realistic to have only ugly things happen to people as they grow up. Was your own adolescence so awful?
TL
Member # 8124

When I said it sounded more realistic, I was thinking more in terms of the sheen being off, you know? It sounds like the relationships between the characters are a little bit more complex, and weighted with the history of their lives.
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I, too, disagree that it is not more realistic to have only ugly things happen to people as they grow up. Was your own adolescence so awful?
I would also disagree with that. So now we're all in agreement. Yay.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Tom that the Peanuts world was often terrible. To go with the obvious, Charlie Brown is almost constantly dealing with depression, and almost everything he tries winds up failing. If you thought the original Peanuts was clean, well you're right only that it lacked boobs, profanity, and booze (or drugs). But if by "clean" you mean "nice", then I don't think you paid enough attention.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
If you thought the original Peanuts was clean, well you're right only that it lacked boobs, profanity, and booze (or drugs). But if by "clean" you mean "nice", then I don't think you paid enough attention.
I do mean "clean" as in "nice" and I did pay attention. Charlie Brown is an unlucky kid, and at times he's an unhappy kid. But that doesn't mean Peanuts isn't "nice," or that it doesn't present a fairly idealistic and uncomplicated view of the world. I read Peanuts as being about, ultimately, the presence of friendship, love, and community in people's lives.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And that's okay. That's just my interpretation.

Is Peanuts really a devestating work of high depression and darkness?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Of course not. No one said it was. All we're saying (at least that's what I'm saying, I don't speak for Tom) is that the "novelty" in this idea of aging the characters and giving them edginess is...well...redundant.

They already had adult problems. They already had ennui and angst. I haven't seen it and I won't be seeing it, not living anywhere near Broadway. But the concept to me seems more like tricking out the Peanuts concept rather than adding new meaning and worthiness to it. The changes detailed in that link are just spoilers and flashy rims.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I don't look at it that way, but unless I see the play I'll never know. It sounds like there's a little more to it than that, but maybe I'm just projecting. Who knows.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I don't see where it sounds like there's more than that, though. I mean, the majority of the hook was, "We've done all this stuff to the Peanuts cast," and then, "Now Charlie Brown does what he did in the comic, but with new, edgier problems." I realize you don't see it that way, we'll just have to disagree.
TL
Member # 8124

Yup.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

For some reason watching Scott McClellan always reminds me of Charlie Brown.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.