FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Micronesia - Suspicious Politics

Author Topic: Micronesia - Suspicious Politics
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Micronesia is a small nation that is remarkably friendly to Israel. I find that a tad suspicious. I mean, what interest would a nation like that have with another nation halfway across the globe, that can do little to advance Micronesia's status in the world?

Israel is in a civil war, and we have this nation peeping in mysteriously and acting very friendlily to us.

quote:
Throughout the history of the United Nations General Assembly, there has always been an "automatic majority" against Israel. The United States has consistently opposed unbalanced anti-Israel resolutions and, in recent years, one other nation has joined Israel’s defense — Micronesia. Why has Micronesia, a tiny North Pacific island, been such a close supporter of Israel?

The foreign policy goals of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) are primarily linked to achieving economic development and protecting their vast marine environment. Israel was one of the first to welcome the FSM into the family of nations, even before the FSM became a member of the U.N. According to the FSM U.N. deputy ambassador, Micronesia has since sought close bilateral relations with Israel in areas such as agriculture, technical training and health care training.

Israel has assisted the FSM in its early development. As one Micronesian diplomat said, "We need Israeli expertise, so I don’t see a change in our policy anytime soon."

Source: Israfax, Canadian Institute for Jewish Research, September 7, 1998. Accessed though this site.

But I think it's a teeeeeny bit deeper. Whadabout you?

Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they want your expertise and wish to improve their economy through Israeli nation building.

Its unsurprising you showed good karma to them originally mon.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why choose a nation in a hopeless reputation around the world? One side initiated the friendliness; which and why?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think? And why do you use the word "suspicious"? Your wording suggests you mistrust these politics (obviously) and moreover, disapporve of them.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually exists!?!?

It's mentioned in the West Wing, I was sure they'd made it up.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it actually exists. I considered taking a job there, actually, before thinking better of it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why has Micronesia, a tiny North Pacific island
Actually, the Federated States of Micronesia consist of 607 islands.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Rakeesh is saying. What are you trying to suggest here, Jon?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read, the entire 100,000+ population of FSM intends to convert to Judaism and move wholesale to Israel. Sadly, they survive on a diet in which the primary sources of protein are pork and shellfish, so the transition is going to be a bit rough. The Hebrew lessons are going okay, but convincing the older men to get circumcised has been nearly impossible.

Look for migration to begin in another 20 to 30 years.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, no matter the size of the nation, it still has a vote in the UN. Besides, if you were the government of Israel, wouldn't you want an ally, no matter how tiny and insignificant they might seem?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
With apologies to the Federated States of Micronesia, FSM is never going to mean anything other than Flying Spaghetti Monster.

(Wanders off leaving derailed thread in shambles)

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I do mistrust politics. I believe there's something behind it, otherwise why would they choose Israel? And if Israel initiated the "friendliness", why specifically with a bunch of small islands?

EDIT: Answer to Rakeesh.

As for Sopwith - you're basically saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Israel's desperate for allies, and a new nation emerging, trying to establish an economy, is a soft, blooming tinge of an opportunity. From there friendliness emerged in both ways.

The thing is that even with nations like Nicaragua, whose embassies ar in Jerusalem, and who kinda-like Israel, Arafat doesn't regard them as allies. Austria and Israel are getting along well, the USA and Israel most cetainly not, ever since the Israeli weapon-sales to China.

So what gives Micronesia the "luxury" reputation as friends with Israel as much as the USA [was]?

[ December 30, 2005, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you be suspicious of Micronesia? It's. . . *Micronesia* for Pete's sake.

Plus, you have no proof of anything. You've just got your cynicism.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be the dumbest political thread I've ever seen on hatrack. We're objecting to Micronesia throwing its vast weight and powerful world influence to the side of Israel? Can I get a "what the --" ?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to agree here... what is the big deal about Micronesia? Lil' tiny country pledges friendship to an embattled country.

Why? Who knows? Who really cares? Does it do more for either than foster a wee bit of goodwill between them?

And are people at the Canadian Institute for Jewish Research really getting paid to do hard research into this? Do they also get arts grants for bellybutton lint sculpting?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Lets look at Micronesia:

Micronesia (aka The Federated States of Micronesia) was created by the U.N. in 1947, and the U.S. becamse their trustee until 1978 (along with Truk, Ponape, Kusaie, Yap, and the Marshall Islands). The closest major land mass to the FSM is Guam, a U.S. territory. The next closest is Japan (which they still harbor ill-will towards).

So...about 30 years of U.S...intervention, and we wonder why they also support Israel?

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
[ December 30, 2005, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]
I don't like it when people edit their posts hours after others have already responded.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Nevermind, he attributed the edit, which is important, and I'm just being an ass.

My bad.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.