FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tutoring Sources

Author Topic: Tutoring Sources
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am tutoring a 11 y.o. phenomenal girl in maths tomrrow. So far we've done some algebra (simple parameters, a little theory on the quadratic formula and completing squares), but I fear that before she dies of boredom, before I run sick of teaching algebra and before the money dries out (as it is bound to be like that), I want to move to geometry.

Not that I don't know it, but some fundamental proofs (like the rules of congruence), I don't remember too well. I remember how to use all the rules we learned, but not necessarily prove them all. I've searched some on the web, but all the geomtry there is regarding trig that even I have not learned yet. What I need is some good source on the Web - with drawn examples, as that is my main problem (I'm incapable of drawing a useful geomentrical question) - that I can use to structure my tutoring.

Any suggestions? PlanetMath and those are all a leeeeetle too advanced for her and for me, apparently. I need simple geometry for 7th-8th grade. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Mathworld?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Mathworld's Geometry offerings
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Purple Math is good for Algebra.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ask Dr. Math is also a good source.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hope those help!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
A little. Thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Are you tutoring her for the class she's in now, or just random math stuff because she's more advanced than her school's curriculum?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm advancing her in 8th- and 9th-grade stuff at home (mine); she is more advanced than her school curriculum, but let's say she's not ready to do Reeman's thingie (the one that Nash solved).
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Jonathan, did you check out "Ask Dr. Math" on general geometry? He had one question about geometric proofs that I thought was great. Also a bunch of other great examples. Here is a page about proofs with some great guidelines for making proofs in general, as well as a detailed look at a specific proof.

Here is a page with many other geometry questions linked.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I couldn't tell if you were being serious or tongue in cheek when you said "a little". Let me know if you need more stuff, and exactly what you have in mind, and I will spend more time looking for something that will be helpful for your specific needs. Brilliant 11 year old girls need a chance to learn as much math as they can! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.