FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When The Universe Conspires

Author Topic: When The Universe Conspires
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So* for New Year's weekend, I was invited to head off with a group of friends out to a cabin in Tennessee for Yew Years Goodness, Fireworks, etc. We'd leave Friday, and return on Sunday.

Before Christmas, I mentioned to the boss that I had plans, and if he could schedule me either off for Friday, or, if needs be, on the morning shift so I'd have time to meet up with the Caravan, that would be great.

I get back from Christmas, and I see I'm scheduled for the closing shift on Friday. But...I'm off on Thursday.

Fine, I think. I'll see about switching the schedule. The Department Manager is closing with me on Friday, so she can handle that alone.

Except...her brother in law just died. She left town yesterday for the Funeral.

There are two individuals scheduled for the morning shift on Friday. I ask them if they could pretty-pretty-pretty please switch schedules with me (they were scheduled for the next day, so I know they didn't have weekend plans.). Candy was offered.

One of them said, frankly, "Hell no." - and with him, I can understand. He doesn't have a car, rides public transportation, and if he took my shift, would be closing and opening the next morning. Work in the time for travel, and minimal hours of sleep results. Fine. I get that.

The other guy...had no plans. And he has a car. I asked him yesterday, pleadingly, and he said, "I'll think about it, and tell you tomorrow."

Today, I worked with him. He kept putting off an answer. Said he'd tell me when he left.

And then...he snuck out without even giving me the dignity of a 'no'.

And my weekend plans flutter away.

So maybe I just wasn't supposed to go.

Either way...

*vents*

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. Sorry, Taalcon. Too bad the spineless co-worker couldn't have just said "no" to start out with.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] How rude!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What a pansy. [Frown] I'm sorry about the weekend plans.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks!! Can you still go, or are you going to have to stick it out at home?
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly, I'd cover for you, but I already have a prior engagement.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

If I were to go, I would now have to drive, by myself, +/- 3 hours, starting no earlier than 11pm, following a full day of work, to a place I've never been before. Sort of takes quite a bit of the fun out of it.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
fwiw, I've always enjoyed my new years eve's at home better than the ones I went out for...

And next time you work with that guy, pat him on the back and place a "Kick Me" sign squarely on him...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Nah, I perfer the Heaping Coals of Kindness. Next time it's obvious he wants off, I'll volunteer to cover him.

Can't top last year's New Years, which I spent with friends in New York City, shortly before I moved away from them. Awesome time.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you just go up Saturday morning instead?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.