FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Those crazy teenage years

Author Topic: Those crazy teenage years
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
U.S. teen runs off to Iraq by himself
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
And now he has a crazy story that he can tell his schoolmates at home.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
We're devoting most of a page to this story in my newspaper, with a photo and a graphic. [Eek!]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What a...*holds tongue*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
twit.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought I was nuts for wanting to go to Jerusalem after college. Yeesh.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, he is so far beyond twitdom!

Let's start with that ticket he bought. At $900, it was almost certainly ONE-WAY. How did he plan to get home?

And he will get some amount of fame and applause for this, which means some other idiot(s) will follow his lead . . . and possibly not fare as well.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farris Hassan says he thinks a trip to the Middle East is a healthy vacation compared with a trip to Colorado for holiday skiing.

"You go to, like, the worst place in the world and things are terrible," he said. "When you go back home you have such a new appreciation for all the blessing you have there, and I'm just going to be, like, ecstatic for life."

His mother, however, sees things differently.

"I don't think I will ever leave him in the house alone again," she said.

I'd have seriously grounded him, too.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
"No more running off to war zones, young man!"

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The part that made me think "twit" was him complaining about the taxi fare. I mean, trying to take a taxi from Kuwait to Baghdad, turning around and going back, and then whining that the fare was high. Twit.

The rest of the story, yeah, way past twitdom.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of that episode of Malcom in the Middle in which Reese joins the military and gets deployed in the Middle East. His mother goes after him and brings him home.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible. He used money his parents gave him? Why would they give thousands of dollars to a 16 year old boy in the first place? They all sound pretty stupid.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he told them it was to buy a car or something. Its incredible what people in my age group, except for me, can get away with.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His mother goes after him and brings him home.
Mothers do worry a lot. Mine worried for me so much when I was deployed in 2001-2002 that half the deployment was over before she finally started to accept my being out there wasn't as dangerous as she thought. That is except when we pulled into a port of call.

If it were my son (if I had one) ..... he'd have to consider himself lucky that I'd let him live after pulling a stunt like that.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
He's on his way home, courtesy of the US forces and the embassy in Iraq.
Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the boy used money that he had in an account of his own. He had this account at a stockbroker and had filled it with his own money that he had made by trading in the stockmarket. Did anyone else hear this?
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
If he spent so much time planning out the intricacies of financing his little furlough, why didn't he consider doing a little more planning, or bother to learn some Arabic? I'm amazed he didn't end of on al jazeera with a significant loss of neckage.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.