FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pulling an AJ. OU style

Author Topic: Pulling an AJ. OU style
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who don't know, my friends in college, called many of my extroardinarily wierd, klutzy manuvers, "pulling an AJ". The term came in vogue after I managed to awkwardly drop a full 1L bottle of soda, that exploded and fountained all over me and Jake the dog, in the presence of many witnesses. (If dogs could talk, Jake was saying, "Ewwwwwwwww!", you should have seen the disgusted expression on his face.)

The last major manuever of this variety was in March, when I slipped off my back porch step while holding puppies. I saved the puppies, but partially tore a ligament in my knee, which will never entirely be the same again, though it finally stopped aching about the end of September after much physical therapy.

So, what could top that?

Last night was the Holiday Bowl. Oklahoma (OU) my school, was playing Oregon. We are a young team, and were expected to get slaughtered. UCLA wiped us off the map pretty early in the season. Oregon beat UCLA therefore, we were supposed to get creamed.

At halftime the score was Oregon 7, OU 3. Yes, we were behind but it wasn't the pillaging that was expected. We came back with 2 touchdowns in the 3rd quarter, to get a 10 point lead, and held Oregon to negative yardage. But the wheels looked like they were falling off the Sooner Schooner in the 4th quarter. Oregon came driving back to make a touchdown. We were clinging to a 3 point lead, and they were driving again. There was less then 2 minutes left, but they had the momentum.

I lost hope.

I went back and started preparing for a bath. Closed the door to the bedroom so I wouldn't wake Steve up while I was puttering around the bathroom. He'd had a long day at work and couldn't keep his eyes open; sleep had won out over school loyalty an hour earlier. But I couldn't stay away, I went back to the couch. A huge play developed. It looked like Oregon was going all the way for a touchdown.

I leaped off the couch yelling "HIT HIM!!!" Or that's what I had intended to yell. It came out something like "Hit OWWWWWWWWW" as I jumped up. There was a loud *crack* and I collapsed back to the couch, writhing in pain, screaming and clutching my ankle. I continued to scream, as I knew I had to wake a soundly sleeping Steve through a closed door. I guess we stopped the Oregon guy. I was in too much pain to pay attention. Steve came staggering groggily out, and as he did I glanced at the TV. That glance happened to be at the instant we made a game-winning interception to stop the drive. So we won. But I was still in excruciating pain.

Steve, having played soccer for years, is reasonably familiar with ankle injuries. He bent it around for range of movement, and it probably isn't a break, though I may have a hairline crack. He got me his ankle brace and ice and I slept with ice packs tied around it all night. He reapplied icepacks this morning too while I was still mostly asleep.

I'm going to the doc this evening. The swelling hasn't been bad because of the icing but the outside tendon or ligament up my right ankle is distinctly swollen compared to my good ankle. Hopefully it's just a bad sprain, but that horrible cracking sound has me worried. With Steve's help I got taped it up enough so that I could get into work and finish up some necessary year-end stuff. I am braking with my left foot when I drive. I can stand still on it without pain but just about any other movement hurts.

I guess this is what I get for being an OU sportsfan.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::wince::

So did you land on it wrong or something?

For what it's worth, in college I did something similar to what you did with the puppies. I, however, sacrificed an elbow so as not to spill any paint or get my brush dirty. I hyperextended the joint, and I think that I must have gotten a hairline fracture in the process, due to the pain that lingered for years when pressure was put on the joint from specific angles.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought that OU was the Orthodox Union...

And that's a heck of a sports injury. I'd just murmur something about "a football injury", and gloss over the details, were I you.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time a hairline fracture heals quickly, on it's own, although not always.

AJ, I hope you are feeling better and are able to find out what is wrong with it.

As much as it hurts now....that's nothing compared to the pain the yearly stories about it will bring you from here on out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc apointment at 4:30pm.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oops...
Member # 8981

- posted      Profile for Oops...   Email Oops...         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! That sucks bigtime:( I'm sorry that happened to you. Football fandom can be a treacherous thing:( Ankle injuries stink. I hope it turns out to be something minor.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's a good thing I didn't get to see the Emerald Bowl yesterday. I've already injured myself on another occasion upon seeing my Utes beat another team in an important game and in exciting fashion. In that case, I think it was at most a broken toe, from when I kicked the TV stand.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
You got injured rooting for your team.

You are a *TRUE FAN!*

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.