FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Making a Lego animation: need story help.

Author Topic: Making a Lego animation: need story help.
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after writing a biggo long description I accidentally erased it all and am too frustrated to write it all again. Here it is in 3 sentences:

Anyone want to write a story for me for a Lego animation that will be really hard but with no pay or hope of reward other than fame of writing the story for a Lego animation?

And perhaps some people could do characters voices?

It might take a whole year to complete the project, but I've been working on it a year already, so it will likely be finished this year.

(Edit: changed name of thread)

[ January 05, 2006, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
What would be involved, specifically, in writing the story? What would be the limitations? Do you already have a concept? etc
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ok. I'll write this in parts. Sorry to keep ya in suspense...

Genre is sci fi.

The actors are Lego minfigures. They are very disabled, can't do things very well. They can at least walk. I'm working on ideas for talking. I'm not going to lip sync them. I'll probably have them wiggle or something. They can fly space ships too.

Scenery and props will have to be dealt with carefully because if a model isn't built, it will take tiem to build it. I'm working on an archive/gallery of available models. Here is an example of structures I might be able to use (trying to convince the author to share them with me). I'm also trying to get some other people to make other structures and scenery. Ships, mecha, and vehicles are plentiful, but the more complex a model, the longer it will take to animate it. And I could always model something as the tools are free.

Other than the genre, and limitations on what actions they can perform (which will rule out a lot, but I'm not sure how much until I get a story going), it is open. Someone else said they would write me a story, but they didn't do it. And I would write it, but I think it would be better if someone else did.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm an animation major, I'm barely starting third quarter, but one of my best friends is about to start her tenth. There are twelve quarters in total, mind you. I'll do my best to help you, and I do want to participate in the character voices too! When is the casting?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

When there is a story!
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Alt, I knew you were doing art, but I didn't know it was animation. As it is, I'm not really doing the traditional thing (Maya/Lightwave). I'm trying to port my stuff over so I can, but it will probably be another year before I can do that.

The tools I'm using are Ldraw and POV-Ray and I imagine real animation people wouldn't think too much of the tools. The LDraw apps are GUI apps, but the POV-Ray stuff I do is all code based, that is, text files..........

Anyway, I'll try to get something to show as far as available models and such.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ok, so the first part of any story is the characters. Lego characters that I can animate can be made of any part visible in this graphic:

Minifigs

You can mix and match the parts at will. But I can't do anything not seen there. So no female hair. [Frown] I know, it is rough. Maybe in a year I can do hair.

Right now I can manipulate all the minfig joints at will. So I can say move arm up and all that. Coordinated movements are harder. I can make them walk. Running maybe. Running jumping and then kicking, no way, not unless it is really important.

Second, small space ship models are plentiful (way plentiful). Vehicle models are plentiful. I have started on a space station, but it isn't near completed.

Mecha is plentiful, but getting them to walk is hard. So if it is really worth it, you can have a walking mecha.

Buildings are rare, but can be built. Landscape is rare, and can be built. This is one of the major things I have been working on. I might be able to get some of these files. The author doesn't have them for download but might give them to me if I ask kindly enough. So if you like some, let me know.

So basically, we would have to create a stage for the action. Cockpits are nice, but not for the whole thing. This is one of the reasons I want a story, I need to know what type of rooms to be making. I can make moc-ups of capital ship bridges (huge ships) and just not finish the rest. I can make moc-ups of skyscrapers, etc.

I wont be doing lipsyncing. I'm thinking of bouncing or something for talking (quicktime required). Let me know what you think, if it is too corny, or what (even if you don't plan to help, let me know what you think of the goofy idea).

So... basically the story can't be too emotionally thoughtful because Lego faces are plastic.

And the characters can't do too much because I'm using inept animation tools (free though, and high quality images, and I've got a library of stuff I can use already, so that is why--I am working to fix this, but it will be awhile...). So it can't be action based. It can have *some* careful action, just not your everyday bar room fight. Flying space ships are great. I can do lasers and blow up space ships too. Great fun.

I can do special effects too. Some will probably take more work than others. But we can give anything a try.

BTW, there are 3 things at work here. First is POV-Ray (Pee, Oh, Vee, Ray) and Anton Raves' POV-Ray library of Lego parts. He authored the parts.

Second, is LDraw and hundreds of people out there who have modeled stuff. I can convert most stuff into POV-Ray, so that is where the models and scenes come from.

Third, putting it all together is my job. LDraw does not do animation (several have tried, even me). POV-Ray does a limited form of animation, script based stuff, and it is hard to do things comercial animation tools can do easily. That is where I do my work.

Some ideas I've had.

The one animation I have done already was suppose to be much longer. It was suppose to start out with a bunch of red ships flying around like fish, and then scatter as several black ships came blasting at them. The larger white ship was going to get stranded.

The smaller white ship was going to run away (against his will) and eventually draw one of the black ships after it. The white ship pilot was going to hide in some asteroids, then open his ship and jump towards the black ship which couldn't find him.

When he lands on the black ship, he would wave his hands or something and crack the black ship's computer, and then control the ship and send it back to the other black ships, and using remote control blow the other black ships up (who are not expecting their own black ship to attack). Then he would fly back and rescue the other larger white ship.

WOW. We had to dumb it down so much because that was WAY too much action.

This is an awesome example of a story (stop motion). another interesting one.

[ January 09, 2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, based on what you have, it looks like you're gearing it towards a sci-fi space adventure right?

Sci fi is half of what I write in my free time, I'd be more than happy and willing to write some sort of space adventure story for you. If you wanted something more specific, like using the Star Wars models and doing like a Squadron of X-Wings or sometthing, I could write that too.

Also, I assume you want it in script format right? What sort of length are you looking at? And what sort of action details do you want, or do you basically just want some dialogue and plot and figure the rest out yourself?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Yeah, sci-fi space adventure. Not Star Wars storyline though. In fact, Anton has already done some x-wings (about a minute into it), although there was no dialog. No official Lego sets either. So all original.

I really don't care how much help from others I get. Even just posting on this forum is helping me sort this out. And I know I'm asking a lot, so I don't really expect to hold anyone to any commitments, like "you HAVE to do this" sort of thing. So how much you want to help is up to you and your schedule.

Length? Depends on how much action. I can do wiggling minifigs for 5 minutes if it is interesting. Or I can do blasting action for 30 seconds. 2 minutes I think is good actually, because then it isn't a major commitment for people to watch, which I want to avoid unless it is *really* good.

As far as settings, I have some ideas. See, I can't think of a story much, so when I come up with ideas, I try to restrict myself to model show off type of stuff. But if there is a story with dialog, a lot more is possible. For example, the story could be a dialog that takes place on a ship. There are a few ships that have living space and are more that just cockpits:

Victory has a bathroom (shower even) beds, kichen, and weapons. Unfortunately it doesn't have windows...

Then there are more battle type ships. Space is easy because the stars are very easy to model. [Wink]

But I'm game for land stuff. That is what I've been aiming for. In addittion to the structures I linked above, there exists scenes like Riot 13, Sato Plaza, and Station 62. None of those are modeled, and that is one of the reasons I haven't used them already. I actually started to model one based on the pictures, but didn't get far before I realized it would take forever.

I've actually thought of a collision between space and castle (this one too) since all of these castle buildings are modeled. I don't have castle minifigs but could possibly make them.

See that is the thing, no matter what I do, I have to work on something. So I need focus. I need to know what to work on, and the story will determine that, but I can't decide what story to tell!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Alright, when I get home from school tonight I'll crank something out, shooting for four minutes, some of which will be dialogue, and including a short action sequence of some sort.

If it's four minutes long, it's less of a story and more of either an episode, or a commericial really. Were you looking to do something episodic? As in, make multiple short 4 minute clips with a continuing story line? Or do they take too long to make?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Episodes sound great. Making many animations is the best way to get better really. The first few are rough cut. For example, the first Calvin and Hobbes comics were rougher than the later ones. As time goes by, they will get better and better. [Smile] Fun.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well alright, that makes things easier plot wise, I don't have to do a full arc in the space of 4 minutes. If you'll be on later tonight I'll talk to you on AIM and tell you what I have in mind.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do some voice acting, please.

Also, as far as story goes, you're just looking for anything sci fi, or do you have something in mind?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I could write something for you, if you'd like. Though it might suck, and it might be more humorous then serious.

Edit: Noticed Lyhrawn was already recruited. Maybe another time.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Can you help give us ideas on the script? Or do you want to wait until we have the finished product? I don't want to post everything as we work on it, but invite fresh eyes in to see it as we go and only post it for everyone when it is all done.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I can help with dialog if need be.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Deleted for unintended offense.

[ January 07, 2006, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Did you really need to say that?
GOT
Member # 8976

- posted      Profile for GOT   Email GOT         Edit/Delete Post 
I want some superfloss. [Big Grin]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Apologies. I didn't mean anything negative by it.

Just a lame attempt to be funny.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

[ROFL] I guess I should have put a [Wink] in my post.... [Evil]
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Oh Lyrhawn, I had to go to bed last night. I guess you were having too much fun and stayed out past my bedtime. [Frown]

Hi GOT. I'm still learning CSS, which is why I haven't fixed your front page yet. [Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to even animate lego figures in order to tell a good lego story- my brother and I made many lego movies with the lego people on strings, sticks and wires. We did even did a western, a plane crash and a story involving large chickens.

It can be done and it's very fun! [Smile]

EDIT: Did you still need a story? If I think of one I'll post it here.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Yes, we have a story. We could still use help with feedback...

I kept telling Lyrhawn to cut lines out, and so I was joking "do you really need to say that"... Get it?...

Anyway, I need to make a story board or something. So it is waiting for me.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do some voice acting, but I don't know how I would do that. If you have any insights, let me know.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Do you have a mic?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haha, I get it now. I took it more seriously because I tend to feel awful when I unintentionally insult someone.

That was clever though, I wish I woulda gotten the joke sooner [Smile]

I should be on a lot tomorrow, my best friend is going back to school, and I have to drop off some calendars that her and I made for all our other friends, but after that I'm free and clear for the day. We can run through the script one last time, and then fire it off to a couple people who've expressed interest in helping with it and get their feedback, then make the necessary edits and you'll be free and clear to start storyboarding!

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe you should make a website to keep us followers of your movie/series up to date with cool news breaks and previews of character models and stuff.

that would be cool.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ok
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I like the PCS Slam better than the Paveway for Snowflake squad. I'll work on picking the characters and what not tomorrow night when I get home from class.
GOT
Member # 8976

- posted      Profile for GOT   Email GOT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
Hi GOT. I'm still learning CSS, which is why I haven't fixed your front page yet. [Big Grin]

Honestly (how do you speel honest? [Cry] ) don't sweat it. I forgot. I never do anything with my website anymore... too busy killing myself working two jobs because the economy is so great [Mad]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I added the 1st part of the storyboard.

Lyrhawn, I don't think there will be any problem using the Slam. I've used it before.

GOT: you spelled "honest" right, but not "speel"... F12 opens Dashboard and there is a dictionary widget [Wink] BTW, what happened to your old username?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cool storyboard!

Looks great! Can I be the voice of Captain Hiero?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I'm going to try and start work on the voice acting, SO, everyone who wanted to be a part of the voicing, either email me directly, or reaffirm your desire here and I will email you.

If I don't hear anything in the next few days, I'll email people who on here I've seen express a desire to participate. Near as I can tell, I need seven voices, though, six if I personally voice Hiero.

Read the script that human posted, and get back to me.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Haha, I get it now. I took it more seriously because I tend to feel awful when I unintentionally insult someone.

Was this "unintentional insult," directed at me?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Nope, aimed towards human.

Why would it be directed towards you?

human_2.0
Member # 6006

It all started because I was bugging Lyrhawn to cut out more text of the script. So he said so, and then I said "did you really need to say that?" I thought he would get it, so I left of the [Wink] . But he didn't. So it was all my fault! [Cry] I'm still pretty new to forums, so...

[ January 16, 2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The post was directly after mine. So, I thought maybe it was in reply to my offered dialog help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.