FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » T_Smith is a Pretty Fencer

Author Topic: T_Smith is a Pretty Fencer
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, he's completely airborne.

Getting stabbed here.

And while it looks like he's getting stabbed here, he actually got the touch. He had right of way.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Right of way is strictly for wimps. Real men fence the epee.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
He was flying in the last picture too!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
All RIGHT! I'm a real man!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not until your PT says it's ok.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

PT?

nvm.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Giggle!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the cord he appears to be holding in the first picture? I see it in all three, actually.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Fencers are wired.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
How is RoW determined? I know there are judges, but how do they decide?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Fencers are wired.

I thought we already had a thread about caffeine? [Confused]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Kwea, it's got something to do with extending your arm first.
rivka
Member # 4859

No, wired.
mackillian
Member # 586

In foil, ROW is gained by extending your weapon/weapon arm. Once your opponent has extended, you must parry in order to take ROW for yourself. If you don't parry and instead just counterattack, then if there are two lights, your opponent gets the touch since they had ROW.
Kwea
Member # 2199

So if I walk around with my arm out I win?

No wonder you were scared of me!

[Wink]

When are you gonnna realize I won't hurt you......

At least not TOO bad. [Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

If you walk around with your arm out and your opponent parries your blade (by beating on it once) and extends, your opponent now has ROW and you need to parry and extend to get it back.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have seen you fence..it can't be THAT tough....

[Big Grin]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum. Hot stuff! [Smile]
Dad used to take my brother and out out fencing. He was pretty good! Won a bunch of awards and stuff. We both did it for a little bit but I dropped out early. Matt kept it up for a few more years, him being more physical in general.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
No, wired.

OH, you mean WIRED

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Or wired.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Big Grin]

Told ya she was chicken.

[Razz]

desta
Member # 8777

- posted      Profile for desta   Email desta         Edit/Delete Post 
The rules of fencing are beyond me.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find a fencing club near me, except the Stanford fencing club, which charges 450 dollars a year. [Frown]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I like fencing for the pure fact that you fight with swords but I don't fence as I am more of a pirate when it comes to swinging my sword.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

KOM, that sucks. [Frown]

Vasslia, then you should fence saber. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Saber rocks. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.