FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another religious debate

Author Topic: Another religious debate
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
It is my opinion, having studied all the ancient texts, that exactly seven angels, no more, no less, can dance on the head of a pin.

Obviously, this number is necessary for any square-dance (and that is the only sort of dancing an angel would do, after all) because it allows three sets of partners and one caller-outer-person. Any more and some would get pushed off the pin.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But you need at least four sets of partners for a proper square dance.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
So at least nine angels on that pin, or a different sort of dancing.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Obviously you do the wrong type of square dancing.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
or two sets of three for this new sort of dance known as the triangular triage.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mage:
It is my opinion, having studied all the ancient texts, that exactly seven angels, no more, no less, can dance on the head of a pin.

Obviously, this number is necessary for any square-dance (and that is the only sort of dancing an angel would do, after all)

You are, sadly, mistaken. Angels do NOT square dance. They do the Hora.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Oh yeah? Says who?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure that it is mentioned in the Rambam, Rashi, and all the Rishonim.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

I seriously doubt the authenticity of those documents.

Besides, Leviticus calls the square dance the holiest of all dances, by some creative extrapolation.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
No! No! The Waltz is written in Tempus Perfectus. (Triple Time) a square dance (besides being square) is written in Tempus Imperfectus (Duple Time) and therefore not holy at all
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hora! Hora! Hora!
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Obviously, this number is necessary for any square-dance (and that is the only sort of dancing an angel would do, after all) because it allows three sets of partners and one caller-outer-person. Any more and some would get pushed off the pin."

The "caller outer person" (heh) is part of the band, and therefore does not stand on the head of the pin.

If seven can dance on the pin, you'd have an unpaired dancer. Which is OK, if you're dancing the Hora.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole question is trivial. You take the area of a two dimensional projection of an average angel onto the head of a pin, and divide it into the area of the pin's head. That gives you the number.

<sigh> What are they teaching kids these days...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just the area of the angel, you have to lay out little Arthur Murray footprints on the head of the pin. And the decision as to which dance is critical. The tango takes up a lot more space than the macarena.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
No. The angel's dance the Macarena. I mean, who didn't? Everyone did the Macarena at least once.

Edit: I think that Glenn might agree.

( I have a confession to make. I didn't read all the way to the end of Glenn's post, thus I did not notice his mention of the Macarena.)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Macarena is only danced by unholy beings.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What about that new craze. The dance in which the song people narrate exactly what they should do. You know, "Jump, Jump again, Left foot, Right foot, Jump Again, Cha Cha y'all, Cha Cha Again. Now turn around. Left foot, y'all."
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The Macarena works well with "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem."

It also works well with the William Tell overture, and it's funny as hell.

KQ must be unholy. C'mon, we KNOW you've danced it at least once.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
What about that new craze. The dance in which the song people narrate exactly what they should do. You know, "Jump, Jump again, Left foot, Right foot, Jump Again, Cha Cha y'all, Cha Cha Again. Now turn around. Left foot, y'all."

I believe you are referring to The Cha Cha Slide.
quote:
Take it back now yal
Two hops this time
Two on the left
Two on the right
Cha Cha now yal
Slide to the right
Slide to the left
Take it back now yal
One hop this time

Pure poetry! But not necessarily angelic.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
KQ must be unholy. C'mon, we KNOW you've danced it at least once.
Oh, sure I have. But I'm also a Minion of the Anti-Christ.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I'm also a Minion

Nah. There needs to be ten of you to make a minion. And you have to all be men. And Jewish.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Roll Eyes] Different spelling, Tante. Although I have been known to split into multiple personalities when pregnant. Who says ten of them aren't Jewish men?
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of questions:

1) Why would angels bother to dance on the head of a pin, when there are so many better places to do so?

2) And even if they do dance on the heads of pins, why on God's green earth should I be concerned with how many of them do so?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you understand the seriousness of this issue, littlemissattitude. Your everlasting salvation is verily at stake.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
We have overlooked many other forms of dance. Like the electric slide. Or line dancing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
The dance in which the song people narrate exactly what they should do.
That's the Time Warp. I can see angels doing that one too.
pH
Member # 1350

...if the angels were doing the Time Warp, would they be dressed like the people in Rocky Horror?

Because that seems rather sinful.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Being dressed like a Transylvanian is sinful?
pH
Member # 1350

I seem to recall corsets in Rocky Horror. Corsets are inherently sinful. [Razz]

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, corsets are inherently bosomful.
pH
Member # 1350

Bosoms are sinful! Everyone knows that.

-pH

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
I seem to recall corsets in Rocky Horror. Corsets are inherently sinful.
Yes, but the Transylvanians weren't wearing them. Except for Frank.

quote:
No, corsets are inherently bosomful.
So was Columbia's Peekaboo pajama top.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Bosoms are Satan's sugarlumps. They are sinful.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Then how did Mary feed Jesus?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What makes you think a deity needs to eat, pray tell?

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Incarnation.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
[Roll Eyes] Different spelling, Tante.

Don't make me expound upon Rivka's Rules of Transliteration again.

And Tante is incorrect. It's not the hora. It's Nigun Atik. Not that it matters much -- both are circle dances. So area of the pin's head is not the question. Circumference is.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Don't make me expound upon Rivka's Rules of Transliteration again.

Where did you do that? Sounds interesting, can I have a link?
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
If bahzooms are sinful, I'm in big trouble. Oh, mamasita am I in trouble!
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Yeah, you are. But you can overcome your natural problems if you just do as the Amazons did.
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, the original seems to have fallen off the board. But this was left behind.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

As I lack a large bosom, I am holier than all of you ladies. [Big Grin]

-pH

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Are we talking about breasts again?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
As I lack a large bosom, I am holier than all of you ladies.
And I am among the ranks of evil. [Razz]

Rivka, does that apply when someone is purposefully transliterating very differently from the usual transliteration for the sake of a bad pun?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey, it wasn't worse than all the rest of the puns that fly around here. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, possibly not. However, I have seen people actually use that particular spelling of this word . . . [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.