FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DOA: I Resent Puffy Movies (Now with a POX on all who enter) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DOA: I Resent Puffy Movies (Now with a POX on all who enter)
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio doesn't do it for me. [Frown]

Oh! I liked Bend It Like Beckham, which falls into the category of both chick flick and sports.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio doesn't do it for me either. Possibly because he is married to Melanie Griffith.

And I swear I was just going to post about Bend It Like Beckham.

Oh, but anyway. I liked Remember the Titans!! I'm really not afraid to spend two hours of my life watching something with absolutely no purpose in mind but to feel nice and squishy inside. Movies like Mystic River, on the other hand, make me want to barf and kill myself. Why did I pay to see that again?

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sports movies are hit or miss for me. I liked Unecessary Roughness, but mostly because it was hilarious.

My mom swears by The Rookie with Dennis Quaid, and Little Big Lig & Rookie of the Year, which are both kids sports movies, not to mention Angels in the Outfield with Danny Glover and Christopher Lloyd. She also loves Field of Dreams, but that might be more because of Kevin Costner.

I loved Miracle, mostly just because I love to watch hockey. I loved the first two Mighty Ducks movies, and to a heavily lesser degree, tolerated the third one. Mostly for the same reason, love hockey, and they were pretty funny. There aren't many hockey movies out there compared to football and other sports.

I loved Eddie, which is technically a sports movie. It's the serious movies that I have problems with, serious sports movies anyways. I need some comedy in my sports movies. I think Hoosiers is a classic with flaws, but I still like it.

Edit to add: I loved Bend it Like Beckham.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys can try to make me feel bad about liking it if you want to, but I adored the movie Hoosiers.

quote:
You know what else? Some people LIKE going to the movies for dessert. They want some sugary goo. That's why these movies are successful. Who's to say that they don't get their sustenance elsewhere? I do.

Good on you, Tante - that's how I feel too. Sometime I want or even need some silly escapism. Sometimes a sports movie like Hoosiers that makes me want to stand up and cheer is exactly what I'm looking for in a movie experience. And I don't think there's a thing wrong with that.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I agree with the above, I will most likely see Take the Lead.
Ooooh, a dance movie! :-D I can't remotely dance, but I love to watch people who can. I see most dancing movies that come out, not because I think they're good but because I love seeing people turn the movements of their bodies into art.

I'm glad that other people enjoy sports films, but I can't think of any that did anything for me. That statment applies to serious sports films, there's been a few comedy sports films that I've enjoyed.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Orincoro,

I remember the music thread you started before, and I'll repeat what I said there: your arrogance (and yes, it is arrogance) regarding what is and isn't music is what makes your opinion on the matter worthless.

You're like the English professors who profess that if the common man can understand a piece, then it is poorly written. You're like (heck, you're ONE OF) the musicians who think that anything on the radio is automatically trash and should be written off as having no major contribution to the development of music.

Call me arrogant if you want, its why I SAID I was being arrogant before.

As for your claims about my opinions, you should know its best to tread lightly where you simply don't have all the facts. I don't believe everything on the radio is bad. I don't believe a book read by the common man is therefore badly written. I simply said what I thought was BAD. The major generalization I made was Disney, which I will say I find to be bad all around and in general principle.

Of course, high minded art doesn't always come from high minded individuals, Wagner was a horrid individual, so are many pop and rock singers, so are many actors and directors, and many writers. But their arrogance, even in print, does not automatically make their opinion worthless. Unfortunately you contradict yourself by saying that we can't make gross assumptions about things based on one trait, then you judge me based on my elitism. I accept that about myself, and make allowance for it when I think about issues like this, what you hear from me is actually in view of what I know about myself.

So I didn't say I actually like selections of alot of popular music and film; well I do, but the thread is titled: "I resent puffy movies"

My opinion is about as worthless as anyone's. Its no more worthless than yours, if arrogance is defining principle here.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:

Good job chiding him. I think that a good stern posting has probably taught him the error of his ways. [Roll Eyes]

[QUOTE] Just because you find something so bland, basic or saccharine that it's unpalatable doesn't mean that it isn't food to many other people.

You can eat dirt, and tell me that you love dirt, but that doesn't make it food. I'm not saying that I disagree with the statement itself, it's just that the analogy didn't work for me. [Smile]
Thanks HumanTarget
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

Ohhh, burn. I think we all need to sing "Ain't Not Mountain High Enough" (Remember the Titans) in unison. Or maybe "I Will Survive" (The Replacements). Maybe also be forced to sit next to eachother on long bus rides or get thrown in jail? We would make such a good team if WE COULD JUST GET ALONGGGGGG :''''''(

Plus it would make SUCH a good montage.

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No we need to all get together and make ourselves look silly in a public setting, like wearing big mariachi hats and singing kareoki
jennabean
Member # 8590

Ohhhh you're right! How better to encourage us to let our guards down and become best of friends??
Orincoro
Member # 8854

precisely
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kareoki
It's official: I can no longer acknowledge you exist.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Your own name is a tangled web of mindbending consonances and sonorities. I said good day sir.

I officially Declare this Thread DOA

A Pox on all ye who enter here

[Wave]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Please put a pox warning in the title of this thread. I entered unwittingly, and now I'm all poxed up. [Grumble]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.