FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iTunes is the devil.

Author Topic: iTunes is the devil.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
So I figured I'd try out this whole iTunes tv show download thing. I can drop it like a bad habit if Napster decides to follow suit.

Well, I had iTunes on my computer because I installed Quicktime. But it wouldn't load at all. So I went to download it from Apple's site. It took three hundred years to install and then, when I started it up, told me that I had to reinstall because it can't do anything with the licenses on the music I have. I don't WANT it to do anything with my licenses. They are Napster licenses. I like them just fine. So I go to search for Law and Order, and it tells me I need iTunes 6.0 or higher. Ohhhkay. I go to download iTunes AGAIN for the third time, and this time, it nearly freezes my computer while installing. Then it tells me that it's missing files, and I have to reinstall, and it closes itself.

Who decided this program was a good idea? I was looking around it before it told me to install 6.0, and it doesn't have nearly the same features as Napster. [Mad] If I actually intended to use it for music, I'd be even more displeased.

In conclusion, iTunes has clearly been sent by the devil to torment me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
((pH)) I love ITunes, but that's because I have a Mac. But I'm sorry for you troubles and I hope things get better soon.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desta
Member # 8777

- posted      Profile for desta   Email desta         Edit/Delete Post 
I love iTunes, mainly because it works so well with my iPod. I think it can be a pain in the butt at times, but for me, the pros outweigh the cons. Playlist made in less than 3 seconds...? iTunes it is.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

As far as I can tell, Napster does everything that iTunes does, music-wise, and then some. And you're not stuck with an ipod, either.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
download: Van halen: "Runnin with the Devil"

PH: "your not stuck with an Ipod"

common ph, just cause OSC and everbody who is reverse-anti-indie-backwards-yupie-reciprocal-non-exclusive-schic, knocks the ipod for whatever reason, its still a pretty cool product.

I am really scared actually by the marketing of music online being dominated by apple, because apple does have a tendency to alleviate their costomers of any choices they see as redundant or distracting. Of course record stores are equally guilty of this kind of "we know what's best" mentality, which is almost always dead wrong. There aught to be a marketplace where EVERYTHING under the sun is accessible. Well no-one's perfect, I like Itunes for the convenience of the thing

As for videos on the ipod? Steve Jobs himself once spoke convincingly of why this sort of thing is A TERRIBLE IDEA. Its anti-social, anti-educational, and pretty nearly useless in my view. Big sellout move for Apple. I can't say I am shocked by it though.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
common ph, just cause OSC and everbody who is reverse-anti-indie-backwards-yupie-reciprocal-non-exclusive-schic, knocks the ipod for whatever reason, its still a pretty cool product.
Well, thanks for that assumption, there. I don't like iPods. I really, honestly don't. I never have. I base this dislike on the iPod's available features vs. those of the alternatives, as well as my own experience with iPods and that of my friends, all of whom actually love the things. I like to have a choice about what kind of mp3 player I want to use. iTunes doesn't give me that choice. I considered several different options before I decided on my music downloading program of choice. Napster gives me what I want. iTunes doesn't. And quite honestly, with the hassle I just went through to try to get that thing to work on this computer, I'm even further convinced that iTunes and iPods are a bad idea. I really don't see what is so wonderful about these devices that anyone who dislikes them is clearly just blindly following what X person has said about them.

-pH

[ January 03, 2006, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: pH ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Death to all Macs, death to all iTunes.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I like iTunes as a music player, because it is the only one with the intuitive search features it possesses. I never use it to purchase music, although they have by far the largest library (yes, larger than Napster's - yes, I've looked). What impresses me about iTunes is the number of independent artists they have: I've searched for nine or ten different groups that I knew had independently produced CDs, and iTunes had every single one.

I dislike that iTunes is designed to work so much better with AAC files and an iPod, but...well, that makes sense.

I also dislike iPods. Although if anyone bought me a nano, I'd use it and probably marry it and make tiny little babies with it.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The reason iTunes has so many obscure bands is because of CDBaby, which essentially ensures that anyone can get his music on there, so long as they sign up for CDBaby. It's really cool.

Napster is much more difficult to get onto. I say this as someone who, working for an indie label, has been put in charge of acquiring as many digital distribution options as possible. Oh, and getting onto Sirius and XM is absolutely insane, even if you're going for the indie/unsigned stations, unless you already have an "in" with someone.

On one hand, it's good for unknowns to be able to get songs on the digital music providers. On the other hand, for me personally, well, I like to buy the CD directly from the band whenever possible, since that ensures that they get all of the money. Or, you know, get 'em for free from the band. [Razz]

Edit: erosomniac, if someone got you an iPod nano, I would have to make babies with it as well. But uh, I'm going to be the dad.

-pH

[ January 03, 2006, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: pH ]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Well, thanks for that assumption, there.

-pH

Oops. Wasn't intending to imply that you were an reverse-indi-sheep, but one of the reverse-anti-indie-backwards-yupie-reciprocal-non-exclusively chic people out there.

Does this how thing make ANY sense? I am not trying to be insulting, just poking fun at the way people are categorized: ie, I am a non-anti-reverse-pessemistic-materialistic-quasi-autistic-ubber-dork [Wink]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like iPods. I really, honestly don't.
This is because you're fundamentally a good person, Pearce.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather have a plain MP3 player, and not have to worry about all the license crap iTunes makes you go through. Even if newer CD's are making it harder to rip music. I'm on my second Creative MP3 player, and love them.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Then I must be a bad person, because I love my iPod and I like iTunes.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I don't like iPods. I really, honestly don't.
This is because you're fundamentally a good person, Pearce.
*bad person and happy with it*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I like iTunes. Of course, I had to sync my ipod with Musicmatch before itunes came out. Musicmatch is the devil.

I tried the new napster, and I wasn't all that impressed. I also like how well itunes works with my ipod. Is it perfect? No. But I don't have any problem doing what I want to do with it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Which version of Napster did you use, and at what service level?

I'm totally upgrading to Napster-to-go as soon as I get my hands on a compatible player. I've been seriously considering prepaying my subscription for twelve months to get the cheap one they offer.

-pH

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I love I-tunes, but I don't have an I-Pod. I started using it when I was on a Mac and kept it when I switched to a PC. It has worked fine and I have not had any problems. I like being able to buy my CD's for $9.99 without going to the store. I would like to see a better selection, but most of the bands I like are available. I haven’t tried the video thing.

I will agree that Apple is not that great. So an I-Pod may or may not be that great. I have wanted one for years, but just can't bring myself to pay $300 for something I won't use that often. I used a Mac for years as a designer and always thought they were wonderful, much better than PC's. Then I switched because of work and I have found my HP works much better even for my design programs and cost a lot less. Some of my friends who have the latest G5's still seem to have lots of trouble with them crashing and not interacting well with networks.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.