FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2 Mormon missionaries shot; 1 fatally (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2 Mormon missionaries shot; 1 fatally
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There is evil in the world and this story is an illustration of what it can look like.

KoM, I like you and all, but you are really being inappropriately irreverent in this thread.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
You relating every missionary in the LDS Church to a Terrorist suicide bomber.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
In what way was my previous post offensive?

In the same way all your posts in this thread have been.

Someone posted about something they found upsetting and frightening. The death of someone they view essentially as a family member. You poo-pooed it.

If you feel there are other deaths that should be getting attention, please feel free to start another thread. Don't attack other people when they are vulnerable. It is your least attractive feature. (And it has some competition.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, the theoretical discussion you seem to wish to discuss is not a problem. Bringing it up in this thread was highly inconsiderate, and the disrespect toward the beliefs of others in some of your posts is unacceptable. Take it elsewhere.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chreese Sroup:
You relating every missionary in the LDS Church to a Terrorist suicide bomber.

Eh, what? [Confused]

quote:
Someone posted about something they found upsetting and frightening. The death of someone they view essentially as a family member. You poo-pooed it.
Well, I suppose I could say that I was trying to give some kind of comfort by reminding people that the Mormon would be going to his heaven, but truthfully, I wasn't. I do indeed find this level of concern for someone comrade Brian has never met rather overblown.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

How do you know none of us have met him?
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Because if someone had, they would assuredly have mentioned it.

I shut up now.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
My gosh. I met these elders.

This is horrible. My prayers will be with their loved ones.

Chesapeake is in Virginia, my home state. WAVY 10 is the local NBC affiliate.

See, some one did mention it. Though really that seems specious to say you can only be sad for the deaths of people you have met.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

I don't want to mention my connection, because of asshats like you KoM.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Death is no worse for an atheist, I think, but that may depend on the atheist. I'm more afraid of living than of dying, though I wouldn't call myself an atheist. The term smacks of certainty which I do not have.

And it IS specious to say that people shouldn't care if we didn't know him.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the death of someone who is a professed atheist is hard on the family left behind if said family is Christian, because then they fear they may not see their beloved again. I know that's one thing that is hard to accept about my stepfather and his extended family, many of which say they are not believers. Now, I myself can't say for sure what is the case, salvation of individual souls is not for me to impart or to have knowledge of, but I am definitely sadder if I think there's good reason to believe the departed is not Christian.

Whereas I attended a funeral this past weekend of my family friend John, a man I feel quite confident is in heaven right now and it was a somewhat joyous occasion. There were stories shared in the eulogies that brought laughter and tears of joy. I really believe I'll see my friend again one day and that helps, it tempers the grief.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Belle, I agree that a lot of the funerals of believers tend to be more celebrations than dismal occasions--particularly if the person led a full and long life. I have been to several recently--all of people who died well into old age who left behind loving progeny--and they were such beautiful celebrations, with a quiet, beautiful joy. The only sadness was in the temporary separation from that person.

But if the person was cut down in their youth or prime--the loss of a child, a parent who left children behind, etc, the mourning is intense--because of those left behind and the possibilities unfulfilled in life. Heaven is great, but this life and the opportunities in it are unique and special, IMO.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible, but given the sheer number of LDS missionaries and the places they go all over the world I think it is significant that this death is significant. In other words I would guess that it is like the battery that lasts five times longer then advertised, you only notice how long it ran when it stops.

LDS missonaries seem to enjoy a special place in God's statistical universe.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but most LDS missionaries that get shot are serving in locations outside of the US, where it doesn't seem as suprising. Though I suppose this was a pretty bad neighborhood as well, but the first reports didn't play up that angle.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that people knew him. If I did, I would never say it here because of people like KoM, which group consists basically of KoM.
------

When I was called to Detroit, people were nervous. However, in seven months in the inner city, we were never even mugged, much less physically threatened. I was never nervous at all. However, my cousin John went to Detroit for work for a summer and he was mugged and roughed up a little.

I think...I actually think that the elders may be more vulnerable. On the other hand, that could be a function of statistics - there are more of them, so of course any given victim is more likely to be male.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Unless, of course, the god in question is the Catholic one and Mormons and atheists both go to hell.)
Not really Catholic doctrine.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems they found a suspectin the shooting. I tend to agree that this was a case of wrong place, wrong time.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
this happend by my old neighborhood, where some of my family still lives. Several people I know were involved, and am so sad, to have someone ripped away from you so quickly, and without purpose other than self protection from the horrible things you ALREADY did...so cowardly.

My younger brother is on a mission right now and if anything happened to him I don't know how i would continue to function, i can bearly handle even hypothesizing.

first this and then a whole family murdered in richmond, where i also lived, who happend to be friends with a guy i know all the way out here in cali.

some people can't even be called animals, they have just become destructive forces, bridled only by that shit called skin.

i know debate is a huge part of this site, but seriously, don't get you rocks off being a smarty pants over murder.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
At first this made me fear for Zevlag, Annie, and Hobbes. But then I thought again and it just made me feel more proud of them. Giving your life to do God's work for 2 years is an awesome thing. I know that everyone who puts in their papers knows that they might be sent anywhere. They know that it can be dangerous, that two years can become eternity.

I talked to a returned missionary friend who served his mission here in Alabama, and he says he and his companion were shot at on one occasion, too. He knows others who have been as well. He and his companion were tracting (going randomly knocking on doors) in a trailer park, and heard the man swearing and loading his gun after they knocked on his door, so they ran. The man ran after them and shot at them but they had enough of a head start, I guess, that he missed them. I was really shocked at that, because I've been with the missionary sisters on team-ups to some dangerous parts of town, (daytime only) and everyone we saw on the streets was really friendly and nice. They all said hi and smiled. It was cool!

It's amazing work! I have been so excited and happy after teaching people on team-ups. When things click, you can just feel that it's enormously worthwhile. You have the potential to open doors that change so many lives for the better, and it's work that snowballs, because each convert has a great liklihood of affecting others as well, over the course of their lives. It's just a huge joy to be involved in it. Any danger seems so miniscule compared to that.

So, despite the sorrow for this tragic thing, and the huge hole that I know this death leaves in the lives of the families, I'm also happy for Elders Young and Heidbrink, and proud of them for the marvelous work they are doing, and for their commitment and sacrifice.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother had a gun pulled on him once while he was serving a mission in Las Vegas, but there were no shots, and he didn't really even notice until after the fact (the guy with the gun was really embarrassed about it and apologized profusely to my brother and his companion).

I heard about this case a few days ago. I can't imagine what the family is going through right now. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a hatracker on a mission to Las Vegas right now too? I remember someone telling us they were headed there. Do we have any others out now?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that Elder Young's parents addressed about 80 missionaries in VA Wednesday morning. Despite their loss, they encouraged the missionaries to continue the work because it's what their son would have wanted them to do. It sounds as if courage runs through the entire family.
Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we had one in Florida, too.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a hatracker on his way to the LV mission, i forget his sn, but I think he'd still be in MTC, it's only been a few weeks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE, I think it was.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.