FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm becoming radioactive - UPDATE

Author Topic: I'm becoming radioactive - UPDATE
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. You read correctly. It's the final part of my cancer treatment. I had an injection into my buttocks today, and another tomorrow, and then thursday I have to take a radioactive drink and stay overnight. I'm really not looking forward to it. I just want it all to be over.

I've tried calling my friends as well to get my mind off of my treatment, but none of them are answering their phones. I saw on my friend's away message that they're all getting together, but they didn't invite me, which hurts a little bit.

I had thyroid cancer this summer, and this radioactive iodine treatment is to get any remaining bits. That also meant that for the past two weeks I haven't been able to have any dairy or seafood, which is no fun at all. All I want to do is eat cheese!

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

[ January 06, 2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! Just don't start decaying next...
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

I wonder what my half-life would be...
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad had thyroid cancer and is healthy today. You're almost done, and you'll be okay.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck. The end is near!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Evie. Keep us informed. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you get super powers!
Best of luck!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Thanks for your well-wishes. My only hope is that I start glowing. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this guy, he was bitten by a radioactive spider, and he got these crazy spider abilities, like he could spin webs, and climb walls, and, uh, fight crime, just like a real spider. But if you get your radioactivity from, like a radio-oncologist, maybe you'll get these crazy radio-oncology abilities, like, uh, using lead-shielded syringes, and, uh, reading MRI's, and, uh, fighting crime, just like a real radio-oncologist.

The freaky bit is where they treat your pee and poop as radioactive biohazard materials. And your sheets go into a lead-lined hamper. Makes you feel real special, no?

Best of luck. You'll just love the Synthroid!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder what my half-life would be...
I'm hoping it will be at least 50 years. [Smile] And this is a good start.

(((Evie))) Hopefully it will go smoothly and you can celebrate with cheese and milkshakes and halibut. Not all at once, though. That would be kinda gross.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you get some cool super powers!

(I got jipped on mine when I had my radioactive iodine treatment)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Best of luck. The end is near!

careful with your encouragements there [ROFL]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat! jeniwren stole my line! [Wink]

Good luck, Evie! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
good luck! you'll be okay, at least you're at the end of your treatment - that is something to celebrate! Let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the fact that my poop and pee will a biohazardous material. Cool! *sigh* I really don't wanna do this. But at least when I'm done with this part I don't have to deal with being radioactive ever again (hopefully).

And I'm already on levoxyl, another form of sinthroid. It's a good time, let me tell you - just another drug to add to the list.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I'm going in tomorrow. I'm so nervous. Any ideas for things to keep me busy while I'm in the hospital?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you've already got a book to bring along. I'd stop and pick up a couple of magazines, too. . . fun, fluffy ones. I find short articles easier to follow when I'm nervous. Do you knit or do needlepoint? If so, bring that, of course. There will be a TV. Deck of cards for solitare, or playing with visitors. And some good chocolate, if you're allowed to eat it, for when you're really stressed. [Wink]

*hugs*

Good luck! I'll be thinking about you. . . just think about how wonderful it will feel to have it done with. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring the number for pizza delivery. Hospital food being what it is. Just be sure to give your name along with the floor and room number, so that the pizza can get past security.

Some of those security officers look like they have intercepted quite a few pizzas.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Unfortunately I can't have pizza, since I'm not allowed any dairy. I think that's what's been killing me most. I love milk and I can't live without cheese. It's been brutal.

And yes, I do have a book and I'm bringing my cross-stitching.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Uh, Chinese delivery?
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Hm.....I'll have to figure something out, although I am supposed to be quarantined, so I'm not sure how they would feel about allowing a delivery man in the room with me.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Evie!

Eljay had some good ideas for distractions. Anything you can do to keep your hands busy is distracting. You probably won't have any available, but rolling modeling clay or playdo around in your hands is a good stress reliever. And Sports Authority sells little balls of ,uh, something wrapped in fabric for the same purpose.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charmed
Member # 9004

- posted      Profile for charmed           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you are almost through with the treatment for a year or so.

The hospital stay isn't bad, but you'll get a real kick over how everything (to include the toilet) is covered in plastic. And those walls are iron. Makes for one expensive night.

Don't take anything into the room that you want to keep. Whatever it is will be considered radioactive, too.

If you plan on doing any traveling - airports or border- make sure you have a note from your doctor stating why you are radioactive. I never set off any alarms, but my nephew was detained at the Canadian border about a month after.

You haven't stated what kind you had nor how much was there. I hope all goes well for you and this will be it for you. If you need any support, check out thyca.org - the email groups were a life saver for me. I am one that has to understand exactly what is going on and that was the best source. Better than my doctor because my doctor wasn't was forthcoming as I liked.

While usually it is not life threatening, it definately has an impact on your life. Good luck to you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

I was wondering about anything I touched being radioactive. Is that really true? I asked the nurse today and she said I didn't have to worry about that. But I was thinking about bringing my ipod for entertainment. Should I or should I not?

By the way, I had thyroid cancer. The operation was this summer and they took out 26 adjacent lymph nodes, 16 or which were cancerous.

I'm also headed back to DC in about a week. Will being radioactive interfere with travel? Hmm....things to ponder.

charmed
Member # 9004

- posted      Profile for charmed           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I wasn't clear- I meant that you hadn't said which type of thyroid cancer you had. Really check out those email groups at thyca.org . There are a lot that have gone through similiar situations. And a thyroid onocologists monitor and participate with the group(s).

You will be radioactive enough to set off any detection unit for a while- so if you are traveling to DC it would not hurt to have that letter. Your doctor will be more than happy to write it for you.

You know, that quarentine is so..iffy, I was told not to take anything out of the room. My nephew, on the other hand, was not even kept in the hospital. And I think the ius he had were much higher than was given me. He was just told to stay 20 feet away from any family member for 2 days. I'm guessing that your dose will be higher than either of ours, as your cancer sounds more advanced than either of us. Anyway, A lot depends on the laws of the state that you reside in - whether you are allowed out of the hospital, whether you are allowed to take things in and out, etc.. I probably would not take my Ipod. That's just me. But, confesson- I brought the book I took in (and never read) out and read it this summer.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
when I was in high school my mother worked at a center where they radiated cancer patients. I think in her own way she helped bring this health care procedure to its present state of use. She was the head nurse of one of the main research facilities that was later bought out by a large hospital system when that facility was proving to be more profitable the research oriented. She wrote or added to many of those protocols.

She brought home the occasional pen which we kids would bring to school. It was a cheap pen with MIR (Malinkrodt Institute of Radiology) written on it. When I explained where they were from people stopped borrowing my pens.

She also brought home small non-sterile mirrors on sticks, like those used by dentists. They used them to check parts of the machines, then pitched them. She assumed we could find uses for them around the house, which we did.

My brother found a better use for them in Auto Shop class. They were perfect for finding dropped bolts and nuts in parts of the motor. The shop teacher asked how my brother got one. He explained that they were left over from work done of the radiation machines.

The shop teacher ordered them out of the school, and threatened my brother with expulsion if he ever brought them back.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

So I'm back from the hospital, and I passed with flying colors. I was supposed to have under 7.9...somethings...and I only had 4.4 this morning, so I got to leave.

I actually was able to bring my ipod with me. I think the only problem would have been if I had little kids that would put everything in their mouths. As I'm only 19 and have no intention of having kids anytime soon, that wasn't a problem. I read trashy magazines and watched CSI from my 20th story room with a great view of Boston harbor.

As of tomorrow I can eat dairy and seafood, which is very exciting. I'm a milkaholic, so it's been rough on me. I've already planned out my menu for Saturday: wake up with a bagel and cream cheese, a tuna melt for lunch, and cheddar cheese corn chowder for dinner. Mmmmmm.

Thank you for all of your wellwishes. It's so nice to have such a supportive community here. I will tell you all if anything changes. I have my pictures on Monday, so hopefully I'll know by then if I need to go through this again.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Evie! [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! [Smile]

I totally hear you on the milk/cheese thing. Enjoy the reunion! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.