FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Birthday Party Help --- ASAP

Author Topic: Birthday Party Help --- ASAP
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a joint birthday party coming up with a good friend on the 15th of January. We have a bit of a reputation for throwing some unique parties that appeal to our group of very intelligent friends.

Last year, for instance, we had a scavenger hunt where the guests split into teams of 4 and had to go take pictures of items on a list -- namely 17 of each item at once, since we were turning 17. Our guests met the challenge and made it a fun event: for instance, they walked into kohl's and gathered 17 people together to get a picture of 17 pairs of shoes.

Now, though, we're bankrupt for ideas and we only have 2-3 weeks left.

Help me find a unique, creative, and intelligent way to celebrate our birthday that people will remember.

What was the most memorable birthday party you ever attended?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been invited to a party of any sort, darn the luck! So, I have no ideas. But I am sure that there is something out there.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a joint birthday party coming up with a good friend on the 15th of January.
quote:
Now, though, we're bankrupt for ideas and we only have 2-3 weeks left.
Isn't that less than two weeks?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Its twelve days. Its only two days less than two weeks. Don't be so nit-picky.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try deviding into teams, and making pizza from scratch. (No Bobale bread, start from "disolve the yeast".) Then compare, and eat. It takes some cleaning up afterwards. Sometimes, the dough sticks to the wall or ceiling. While they cook you play parlor games appropriate to the group.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A Darwin vs. Fundamentalist Party. Divide into two groups. The Darwin Group competes to survive the party. The Fundamentalist Group prays to survive the party. Provide all sorts of "thinning the herd" challenges (Iocaine powder in the punch, a hand grenade toss, etc). Whoever wins, survives to be invited next year!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked those murder mystery parties, complete with decorations, costumes, props, and attempts at in character acting. Twelve days might not be enough time to organize all of that though, perhaps you could do some sort of themed costume party?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially for lots of people, murder mystery parties are only good if you can confirm exactly who is going to be there and for how long. Plus there are usually not a lot of characters to act.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a costume party around a theme? Those are always fun.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
At the new years party I went to we made a "real world" style movie. We made up characters and had confessionals and huge fights. It was a riot. It was so much fun to be that rediculous. We had the guy who was way too nice, the guy bent on world domination, the girl who is just in it to become famous, the very conservative girl, and many more. It was even better because my friends were so creative.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a "Back in Time Party" (this is a bit tamer than my Darwinist/Fundamentalist idea). Conical party hats, pin the tail on the donkey, duck duck goose, Simon says, and goody bags for all guests.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

Or everyone could come as some historical figure, and pretend like they were from that time--and everyone has to guess who they are and where and when they are from.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'd come as Ignaz Semmelweis, and then be disappointed when people couldn't guess that I was born in Hungary, but trained in Vienna.
sarcare
Member # 8736

See that is what would make it more difficult--you would have to act as the person, answer questions about them as if it were your life, and have prizes for people who could guess correctly, ranked on how difficult the people are to figure out.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Get all new friends.

Use the same idea as last year.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. New condition: must keep friends. New friends are an option, but old friends must also be present.

The good thing about last year's event was that it got everyone out of the house and doing something for a bit. It was a change of scenery, rather than spending the entire evening in one place.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Picky, picky!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a creek nearby? Go panning for gold!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Waterballoon fights are always a thrill [Smile]
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.