FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about RSV--baby related

Author Topic: Question about RSV--baby related
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on my mission in Utah during the winter of 99/00, I remember a huge RSV epidemic. It seemed like everyone's baby had it. For some reason I remember it being a very serious illness for a baby.

So, imagine how I felt when I found out yesterday that a baby in my 4 month old daughter's day care has RSV. The way I found out is that while I was playing with my little girl, the boy's dad came to give his son a nebulizer treatment. I asked if the baby was sick(duh) and his dad said he had RSV. Naturally, because of my experience on my mission, red flags started flying. When I got back to my desk, I called the dr's office. The nurse asked me a couple of questions(how old she was and whether she was breast of bottle fed). She is breastfed. The nurse told me not to worry. So I toned my worrying down a little.

However, this morning my baby woke up without much of an appetite. This is unusual, as she sleeps through the night. For her second feeding today, she seemed to have more of an appetite, but she didn't smile at me. She's a very happy baby, so it is unusual for her not to smile--especially right after eating. I gave her a little tylenol, which I'm hoping will do the trick. Oh--her dad has been sick on and off for 3 weeks and I'm starting to come down with a cold or something.

Back to RSV: Should I really not worry like the nurse said, or should I take her to see the dr?

Also, what experience have any of you had with RSV?

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that I have no information for you, I've never even heard of RSV, but I just wanted to say I hope your baby is fine and that your worries are soon eased. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
RSV??
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

RSV: Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
My one-month-old nephew has RSV. [Frown] He's coughing so much that he's having a hard time keep food down. He lost weight, and is now back down to his birth weight. The doctor gave my sister some high-caloric formula; they have to feed him EVERY HOUR for a day or so, and if he doesn't gain weight he's going in the hospital. I think he gained a bit, though, so maybe he won't have to be hospitlized.

Here's some info about the disease:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/rsv.html

My understanding is that it just has to run its course, and there's not too much they can do. Babies can end up in the hospital if they're not getting enough oxygen. Justin's oxygen is 97% right now, so he's still doing good there.

My advice is that if you're worried, take her to the doctor. It's better to have peace of mind, especially when they're that young. My sister took Justin in because he was sleeping all the time, couldn't shake the cough, and couldn't keep food down.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about your day care. My sister's day care makes her keep the kids home when they are sick; I'm really surprised your day care let a sick kid stay there, especially since RSV is so contagious.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Also, I'm a bit concerned about your day care. My sister's day care makes her keep the kids home when they are sick; I'm really surprised your day care let a sick kid stay there, especially since RSV is so contagious.
I was just about to post this, myself. I certainly sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiny url that I hope works because it's a cache and I can't find the real page.

[Dont Know]

I can't believe that they have the kid in daycare, but that link seems to agree that there is no point in keeping them home, as it won't stop the spread of it. And they also seem to indicate the 100% of kids in daycare will get it by the age of 1.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
And they also seem to indicate the 100% of kids in daycare will get it by the age of 1.
I saw that, too. Well, then it's hard to believe it's that big of a deal as long as the kid gets proper care. (Of course I can hear all the mothers on the forum thinking "spoken just like a man.") [Big Grin]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a big deal for some kids, and no big deal for others. You never know which kids will just have a "cold", and which kids will end up in the hospital with it. And when my baby needed heart surgery at 3 wks old, it was really important to keep her from getting it. (Difficult when she's the youngest and the oldest are in school, that breeding ground of bacteria!)
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I wasn't poo-pooing anyone's specific case. I'm just saying the mere fact of catching it shouldn't be cause for undue alarm if 100 percent of daycare kids get it by age 1, all other things being equal. If it were indeed life-threatening (assuming proper treatment) in a large percentage of cases surely there would be a larger effort to quaranteen infected children.
seespot
Member # 7388

I'm not too concerned about the day care. She has been there for 2 months and this is the first time she exhibiting any signs of illness.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd at least call the doc, see what they say and so they have a heads up if it gets more serious. Sit in a warm steamy bathroom with her as much as you can.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
RSV is pretty common in infants in daycare (and infants who come in contact with other people in general.) It's not usually too serious for babies who were full-term, especially after they hit the 3-month mark, from what I understand. Preemies, on the other hand, it is very, very dangerous for. As long as the baby's symptoms are not impariing her ability to eat, sleep, or breathe, you're probably best just letting it run its course. If any of those things are impaired, if she suddenly appears completely nonresponsive, or if she has a high fever, that's when you should worry. Ditto if she was premature.

I read up on all this when mine was an infant, too. It's normal to worry. (((hugs)))

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to add that some kids need respiratory treatments long after the acute RSV phase resolves. The airways remain reactive for awhile. So this kid may be needing treatments but not infectious at this point. I'm not sure how long kids with RSV remain infectious. Many viruses seem most contagious the day before and the day of the outbreak of symptoms, before anyone even knows there is an illness present.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of experience with RSV, being the mother of a preemie. It is extremely dangerous for preemies (it can be deadly), but it can also be serious for term babies. I would definitely take her to the doctor. Have him or her listen to the baby's lungs (checking for crackles or squeaks) and get a pulse ox. You probably have nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry. When Aerin was in the hospital with pneumonia, there were 2 other babies there with RSV and 1 of them was term. This is a bad season for it.

The only course of treatment for RSV is respiratory support while the virus runs its course. It's very good that you're breastfeeding - she's getting immunities from you.

While RSV is highly contagious, its spread can be prevented with proper hygeine. The key is good handwashing. Make sure that you baby's caregivers wash their hands between the babies they care for (diaper changes, feedings, etc.). They should also use antibacterial hand cleansers like Purell and use a bleach-based cleaner on all surfaces. Bleach is the only thing that kills RSV. Additionally, try not to touch your face while handling the baby. If it's unavoidable, wash your hands as soon as you can.

There's also an RSV vaccine called Synergist that you can ask your doctor about. Aerin has already had 2 doses and it's worked so far. Every baby who graduates from the NICU and PCN gets it.

Let us know how she is - I'll be thinking about her.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump: How's the baby?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan was diagnosed with RSV at three weeks of age. He probably had it for several days before - although the pediatrician poo-pooed my concerns. (No longer the ped)

He code blued the hospital within just a couple of hours of being admitted (after being told to go straight to the hospital by an on-call ped, without getting dressed. Thank god for that ped.)

He spent three weeks on life support. And had reactive airways for several years after. the lack of oxygen probably contributed to his seizure disorder.

He was breastfed, he was at home with me, I made everyone wash their hands before holding him, etc. He was droopy, falling off the breast, refusing last ditch attempts at bottle feeding. He finally popped a fever of 99.9 - and a doctor finally listened to me, rather than dismissing my fears as a paranoid first-time mother.

I still cry thinking of this tiny bundle of life that was hidden by tubes, tapes, machines. All I could do was rub lotion on his tiny feet, the same tiny feet that had no part left unpricked for blood samples.

If your gut says something is wrong, believe it. Stick to your guns. You are the parent, and you know best.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

I took Abby to the Dr on Friday afternoon. Dr had good things to say. Aside from her congestion, she looked fine. However Saturday morning began a new chapter. First I need to warn people that this might be too much information.

Anyway, Saturday, Abby started pooping a lot. It was lots of little poops. I probably changed over a half dozen poopy diapers on Saturday. Sunday wasn't much different. She also fell asleep in my arms twice during church. This is unusual for her. She usually wants to be awake if she's not at home in bed, in a moving car, or in a swing. We got home and I laid her down. She slept for a little while(maybe 45 min) and then woke up. I fed her and she was really fussy when I tried to burp her. She fell asleep, I laid her down and she slept for maybe 20 min. She was very warm, so I gave her some Tylenol at about 2:30. She didn't sleep well all afternoon. I fed her again and she fell asleep, waking up when her dad got home. She was very warm again. Did I mention that she was still doing the mini-poops? They seemed to be somewhat painful, as if she were constipated. Anyway, we did our best to keep her cool and were able to bring her tempurature down enough to where we were comfortable(read she was acting relativly normal). Today she is home with her dad and he reports she is doing much better. I'm still thinking I want her to see the dr again this afternoon, but I'll make the final judgement call when I go home for lunch.

Thanks to everyone for your posts. Much appreciated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.