FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek Technology!

Author Topic: Star Trek Technology!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have posted a few rant recently, and now realize it all stems from a technology temper I have. I would like to live in a world where there are no "route branch error 11" malfunctions, I would like to live in STAR TREK.

Never does Captain Picard adress his computer with some sort of vague and ill-concieved request which the computer does not instantly and satisfactorily fulfill. Computer, play me some classical music, and the music that plays fits the scene to a tea. OR how about the holodeck? Computer, I want a chair. WAM the computer doesn't conjure up a peice of art deco lawn furniture from 1972 the color of an internal organ, no. The computer pops up a stylish elegant engraved wooden georgean desk chair.

Computer, I want some ice cream! But wait! the computer gives you a bunch of delicious options. If you had asked for a glass of water, it would have done it without delay, but ice cream comes with delicious options. The computer is SO intuitive, it knows when YOU want to sweat the details.

Picard never has to search through directories looking for a temp file and restoring the pci ram intertrode superfragamometer capacitor settings to factory standards. oh no. He doesn't even need a mouse to get what he wants.

We are talking about a future in which ZIPPERS have become obsolete! ZIPPERS PEOPLE!!! A world in which "beam me down to the planet" suffices to ALWAYS place you within walking distance of EVERY MAJOR building and person all at once, EVER TIME.

I love it. Its absolutely brilliant. Phasers on Stun! [Wink]
[The Wave]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget no toilets. Apparently, they beam it directly out of you.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Brilliant!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
There was one episode when Barclay was trying to get a glass of water, and the computer made him specify what temperature he wanted it. The computer never did it to anyone else that I recall. Apparently they are smart enough to know when to kick a guy when he's down!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of specific examples, but I know that there were times when the computer asked for further specifications, or said that a command wasn't valid, or something to that effect. It's not that intuitive.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Picard is always getting cups of hot tea, in these lovely little teacups. What does he do with all the dishes? Are they stacked up in Cargo Bay 2? 'Cause I have never seen him put his empty cup in the replicator and had it un-replicate.

In the original series, the computers were not as good. You could get the whole system to shut down by asking it to calculate the value of pi. And as it was struggling with that request, it's computer voice would get higher and higher and more panicky, and then smoke would start coming out of the consoles. Smoke!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and when Captain Pike was left as a broken shell of his former self, they gave him a little red light to blink. Couldn't even do a red and green light. The poor guy had to blink once for yes and twice for no!

Sheesh! We could do better than that with spare parts from Monster Garage over a long weekend!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it doesn't use all of its memory to make a cup of tea, resulting in nearly being hit by missles.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you sneeze? Does the computer yell, "Contaminated Ship Deck! Self-Destruct, Self-Destruct!"
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but do you really want there to be an episode where Picard spends about 5 minutes trying to get the computer to carmelize his crème brulè right?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
At least it doesn't use all of its memory to make a cup of tea, resulting in nearly being hit by missles.

Definitely one of the top ten books ever. And besides, the missiles were turned into a potted plant and a whale.

DON'T PANIC!

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Primal Curve!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was one episode when Barclay was trying to get a glass of water, and the computer made him specify what temperature he wanted it. The computer never did it to anyone else that I recall
Actually, in the third season TNG episode "The Defector," the Romulan defector asks the replicator for a glass of water and makes him specify the temperature. Of course, he specifies in Romulan temp measure, and the computer wants Celcius. The Romulan was quite irritated.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Star Trek computers are only truculent when it makes a character look funny.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is perfectly in keeping with Majel's personality.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
I can't think of specific examples, but I know that there were times when the computer asked for further specifications, or said that a command wasn't valid, or something to that effect. It's not that intuitive.

your not intuitive enough to know that I was being facetious. But its ok [Smile] [Razz]
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are they stacked up in Cargo Bay 2? 'Cause I have never seen him put his empty cup in the replicator and had it un-replicate.
I always assumed they were borken up and used as grape shot against the Romulans.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm saying this, and especially on Hatrack. And yet . . .

Nerds.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*basks in the nerdliness*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Yep. Nerds. Not me, though. Oh, no. Not me.

[Razz]

Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
And the fact that I have a name from a webcomic based off Final Fantasy, and yet I call y'all nerds . . .

I mean, dear lord.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You know how when they look out of the window in, like, the conference room or 10-Forward, there is always this gorgeous view of the stars going by? Why is that? Is the Enterprise flying around in a circle?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
It's obviously not a real window, but rather a holographic projector imitating a window. This has many advantages, including increased hull stability and a marked decrease in the number of window washers needed to keep the ship in it's pristine shape.

This also explains why you cannot actualy see into the ship through the "windows", instead exterior lights are used to creat the illusion that the ship has windows, for obvious aesthetic reasons.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
And can you imagine how much training it would take to become a starship window washer. So not only does it save on training costs, the amount of space need to house all of the washers, they would have to leave alot of people behind to have room for them all.

<--Nerd

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No, no. The windows are real. You can see the windows for 10-forward on any of the ship fly-bys they use throughout the series. I mean, isn't it the window of 10-forward where Picard finally retreats from the Boron sweep?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Of course but not all the windows on the ship can be real, just a few.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Nerds! [Smile]
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I could see them putting holographic windows on the interior rooms of the ship, but why not real ones on the exterior? I mean, what if Riker needs to fly with the joystick again?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gosh, though, wouldn't it just be TOO cool if Troi and Guinan were having some deep meaningful conversation, they lock eyes, hold hands, turn towards the window to contemplate the GREAT BEYOND, and see some worker on a scaffold squeegeeing the window.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Or how about an episode where the holodeck gets invested with spyware and the crew has to deal with the characters in their program offering them sweet deals on trips to Risa?
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Redshirts = window washers. Expendible, no? They usually don't even get names.

<remembers Galaxy Quest>

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Better sweet deals on trips to Risa than sweet deals on "sevices" on Risa...

Well, unless you're Kirk.

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
How exactly would the windows get dirty? There isn't all that much dust in interstellar space, and with the ramscoop ionizing and then collecting everything worth grabbing, the window washing interval would probably be something like a billion years between services.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Jacare Sorridente:
How exactly would the windows get dirty?

Remember when they were in orbit around that really polluted planet? I bet there was a lot of shmutz kicked up around there. Also, sometimes they get hit with plasma torpedos. That's got to leave a mark.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Transparent Aluminum?
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember when they were in orbit around that really polluted planet? I bet there was a lot of shmutz kicked up around there. Also, sometimes they get hit with plasma torpedos. That's got to leave a mark.
Pshaw. All they have to do is reverse the field of the deflector dish to clean the windows if they ever do get dirty. Plus, getting hit by torpedoes likely calls for window replacement rather than cleaning. The real question is: why don't their uniforms have any pockets?
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Jacare Sorridente:
quote:
Pshaw. All they have to do is reverse the field of the deflector dish to clean the windows if they ever do get dirty. Plus, getting hit by torpedoes likely calls for window replacement rather than cleaning. The real question is: why don't their uniforms have any pockets?
How do you know they don't? I mean, they can travel at FTL speeds and convert matter into energy. With all of this technology at their fingertips, I think they'd be able to sew some pockets into trousers without breaking the line of the fit.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

If I were writing an episode, I'd have Picard say "FIRE AT WILL!" and then Warf would stun-phaser Riker.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I would SO watch that episode, Tante.

Edit: Hopefully it would be followed by Worf shooting Wesley as well.

[ January 06, 2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Me too [ROFL]
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

your not intuitive enough to know that I was being facetious. But its ok [Smile] [Razz]
I caught on, thanks, but I just felt like being snarky. [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Dear god what have I created...

I am become geek. The explainer of worlds.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are they stacked up in Cargo Bay 2? 'Cause I have never seen him put his empty cup in the replicator and had it un-replicate.
You never SEE Picard to it, but dishes do dematerialize in the replicators all the time, especially on DS9. Since it's a tea cup, it's not like he gulps it down and puts it right back in. [Wink] *adjusts geeky hat and goes to watch BSG*
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
In Voyager, when Tom Paris first came on board he got shirty with the replicator over the never-ending options for tomato soup.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

another example of the convienently annoying technology, only causing trouble when its funny

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.