FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One of my guilty pleasures is Terry Brooks' "Landover" books...

Author Topic: One of my guilty pleasures is Terry Brooks' "Landover" books...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...so I was pleased when I heard that "Magic Kingdom For Sale--SOLD!" was being made into a movie.

These are NOT great works of fantasy. But...so help me...I like them. They're fun, and even manage a genuine emotional involvement...because I'm a sentimental softie who loves stories about bitter, lonely people learning to love again. [Embarrassed]

I was not so pleased when Brooks posted on his web-site that the latest script involved Ben Holiday (the protagonist of the series) being accompanied to Landover by two reluctant, wise-cracking teenage offspring.

....which, if you've read the book, will require a complete revamp of the lead character and his impetus for going to Landover in the first place.

Suddenly, the reason why OSC is so adamant about creative control being kept with the original author becomes more clear.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like those books, too, although I don't like his other stuff. [Smile]

But, um, that sucks about the movie.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
No way! It's cool that they want to make it a movie, but the revision they're talking about is horrible.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the books, but the movie sounds appalling.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh. I was about to do a happy dance! I love those books!

But teenage offspring?

Wisecracking?

You've got to be kidding me.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first several of the Landover series; but I thought Tanglebox just messed things up. Too serious.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first three. I haven't been able to read the others. They just didn't interest me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it got much better the later in the series it got.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my recollection, I'm with Dagonee.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Why a guilty pleasure? These books prove that Brooks can write not just steal Tolkien and build on his work. I loved them, they have tremendous potential that could be built on still.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I like those books, too, although I don't like his other stuff. [Smile]

I have yet to read a non-Landover Brooks book all the way through. I like his style for light-hearted fantasy, but his attempts at heavier stuff just don't hold my interest.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

My one consolation is that it's still so early in the development stage that they may well change the script again.

They'd better. It would change the entire tone, characterization, and plot.

EDIT: The IMDB has the film for a 2006 release. According to the author's own site, the only thing definite in 2006 is that'll be the year they decide whether to make the film or not.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have yet to read a non-Landover Brooks book all the way through. I like his style for light-hearted fantasy, but his attempts at heavier stuff just don't hold my interest.
His Shanara books started out dreadful and didn't progress to "good" until the Scions series - although Wishsong was almost there. There was a little backsliding in First King, but it was mostly good.

Unfortunately, it's hard to enjoy the rest of the books without having read the first two books.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
His Shanara books started out dreadful and didn't progress to "good" until the Scions series -
Yeah. I tried to read Sword of Shannara several times back in JHS. Just kept giving up in the early chapters.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The director is Stephen Sommers.

Okay, I kinda liked The Mummy...but there's the memory of Van Helsing before me... [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's cool that they want to make it a movie, but the revision they're talking about is horrible.
That's exactly what I meant. It sucks that they're going to ruin it...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
They are forseeing the end of the Harry potter books and now everybody wants to do cool Fantasy. AS long as nobody strats the Wheel of Time...

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee--

Interesting. I really enjoyed Elfstones and Wishsong, and thought that Scions was horrid.

[Smile]

Diff'rent strokes.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james01
Member # 8863

- posted      Profile for james01   Email james01         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Landover series awhile ago, but I always thought that his Shannara series was a rip off of LoTR. The Landover series was good though, the movie should be cool.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who adores the entire Shannara series? seriously, I'm in love with the books. They rank up there almost next to Ender's game. I made myself finish the Landover series- but those books seemed kind of empty compared to sword of Shannara.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Judging by the book sales: Nope, you aren't Tinros.

I'm not saying no one should like Shannara...just that I couldn't get into it (or rather, the first book) when I tried it out.

james01
Member # 8863

- posted      Profile for james01   Email james01         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I didn't mean I didn't like the Shannara series, just that parts of it were so similar to LOTR that I was like whoa.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.