FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Workout Advice Thread

Author Topic: Workout Advice Thread
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working out again for about a month now. Nothing major. I just run on a treadmill 20 minutes in the gym at work (so 5 times per week). I'm up to 5.9 miles per hour for the whole 20 minutes. I was talking about this to a co-worker and saying how I really didn't want to work out this morning, but I made myself do it and was glad. They responded that it was actually better to work out every other day instead of 5 days consecutively. I'd heard that about weight training, but never about running or any cardio exercises. Might any of our Hatrack exercise gurus comment on this?

For me it's probably a moot point anyway. I'm not training for any marathons or anything. I'm just trying to drop a few pounds. (Despite my lackluster exercise history, I'm still 20 lbs lighter than I was this time last year, yay!) And considering this is almost the only exercise I get at all I can't believe it would be better for me to cut any of it out.

Comments? Tips? Cautions? Anyone else looking for workout advice feel free to post questions here. (Not that I'll answer them, but someone might.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only tell you what works for me. Unless I haul myself out of bed to do it, I won't stick to the schedule. That means 5 times a week. Upper body one day, lower body the next, with just a few mixed up, for variety purposes.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No reason you can't do light cardio every day.

Weights are different because your muscles need time to heal after you break them down. This is not nearly as severe with just running, unless we're talking marathon distances.

But 20 minutes a day should pose no problems as long as physically, you feel fine. Light soreness is okay, but joint or ligament pain is not.

Congrats for sticking with it this long.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started a new weight loss and exercise program this week, and so far, it's working great. I've got the flu. The shivering chills are not only refreshing, but also give you a good all-over workout. As evidenced by the sweating and exhaustion that follow. And weight loss! I'm not worried about losing muscle mass, as with so many fad diets. My weight loss is 100% phlegm! I must have shed 5 pounds of phlegm in the past couple of days.

Plus, you get to claim that coveted time off from work, which going to the gym never seems to get you.

And the delirium and fever dreams are just about all you need for entertainment.

Let me know if you're interested. I'll send some of my Kleenex in the mail.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd--Congrats on the 20# difference! This is a truly great achievement. I salute you, sir! As far as running everyday goes, you can do so without trepidation. Might I recommend a few calesthetics for the upper body on, say, M-W-F? This would give your body a start on any progressive resistance training that I am sure you will want to add eventually. The good old pushup will work the chest, triceps, and (to a limited extent) the shoulders. If there is a chinning bar (or a lat pulldown apparatus) in your work gym area, these exercises would work your lats (back) and biceps. Those two exercises would give your upper body a pretty good workout for about 3-5 minutes every M-W-F, and still allow you to do your treadmill stuff. If you ever consider doing the weight training thing, I would like to recommend the book "Getting Stronger" by famous exercise/bodybuilding guru Bill Pearl. It is one of the most complete discussions/explanations on the subject that I have read. He also has a series of exercises to help you out for just about every sport possible. Diet & nutrition are also covered. All of this and much more in one paperback (read less expensive!) book.

For my exercise lately, I have been strapping on a set of boots, throwing on a light backpack (25#), and going hiking along a bike path near where I live for about 4 miles, 3 days a week. I carry a poncho in the backpack just in case there is a light shower, etc.

Good luck on your program, sir! It seems that you have everything under control. Please keep us informed.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks boogashaga, those are good tips. I did actually add some pushups as part of warming up the last couple of days. And we do have a pretty complete set of resistance training equipment in the gym (complete as far as I can tell anyway). I think I will start doing more of that on M-W-F. Thanks for the encouragement.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what the others said. It's the weight training that needs the every-other-day treatment to rest the muscles. However, the upper body/lower body split can work as well. Cardio each day, however, is fine. Recommended, actually.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No one wants to try my method? It is all natural, no artifical stimulants...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it make sense for me to use a step and just do some up and down step aerobics during the days I'm feeling up to it? I don't want to leave the house and walk, because I never know when I might get sick again. I don't have a treadmill and walking in place feels silly.

I've also tried some light calisthenics but my endurance is next to nothing.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.