FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jon Stewart to host Oscars....

Author Topic: Jon Stewart to host Oscars....
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I might make an effort to catch it
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he's practiced at reading from teleprompters.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
they do have a 5 second delay right?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"As a performer, I'm truly honored to be hosting the show," Stewart said in a press release issued Thursday (January 5). "Although, as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice. It appears to be another sad attempt to smoke out Billy Crystal."
[ROFL]
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He is the perfect choice, IMO.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is that, Porter? Somehow I had the impression that you disliked Stewart.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Since when was Billy Crystal the end all be all of the Oscars? And BTW what a sad culture we have IMO if we are all pining for Billy Crystal to come back for one more in a long line of 4 hour self-deluding suckfests.

This might actually make the oscars GASP, watchable this time. At least he has more taste than some in the politcal arena, and on both sides, so we can count on a fairly sane evening.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sane, and hopefully hilarious.

Stewart knows where to toe the line between a roast and being downright offensive.

Chris Rock couldn't have found that line with a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Sane, and hopefully hilarious.

Stewart knows where to toe the line between a roast and being downright offensive.

Chris Rock couldn't have found that line with a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

You got that right!

I miss Whoppee and Crystal was good, but IMHO Jon will do a fine job. Too bad there is a *bleep* delay, tho. *grin*

[Hat] Hats off to the Academy for giving Jon the nod.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like him...although I enjoyed BC and Whoopie as well. [Big Grin]

I usually don't watch them, but the ones where I did and they were hosting were pretty funny.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait. I don't usually watch the Oscars, but I definitely think I'm tuning in this year.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, he'll be good. I love that guy.

In a completely heterosexual way. Despite the fact I want to have his babies.

No, I don't want to bear them! Just raise them and claim their brilliance as my own.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rebekkah
Member # 9012

- posted      Profile for Rebekkah   Email Rebekkah         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the host really matter? They get the opening sequence and then that's it. What's the big deal? The Oscars are more and more yawn-inducing the older I get. It's hard to stay up late when the only movies you've seen are rated G and only get nominated for special effects or other nonsense.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The man is extremely funny, smart, and quick on his feet with the wit.

He's not the excellent fair-to-both-sides political interviewer that many people make him out to be, but as a comedian, he is top notch.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
The man is extremely funny, smart, and quick on his feet with the wit.

He's not the excellent fair-to-both-sides political interviewer that many people make him out to be, but as a comedian, he is top notch.

I agree 100%
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening part is great, but the host also gets a few jokes in during the show. And they cover the transitions and what not, usually welcome people back from commercial breaks.

I'm a little surprised Jon actually agreed to do it honestly. He tends to be somewhat vocal about his dislike, or at least mild disapproval for a lot of Hollywood, despite his forrays into acting. This being the the biggest and most boring orgy in Hollywood, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Jon skip an event where Hollywood basically pats itself on the back.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I would agree...but he DOES make fun of both sides, so his bias isn't as bad as a lot of people who just pick on one side of the political spectrum. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the only really worthwhile award show is the MTV Movie Awards.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I know the Oscars are incredibly shmaltzy, but I never miss them, nonetheless! [Smile] This will make it that much better.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.