FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Competitive Grading Sabotages Good Teaching (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Competitive Grading Sabotages Good Teaching
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, do you mean nerds or people who go to trade schools? Or both?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan, I was referring to people who leave college because they hate it, and go to build houses or fix cars and siphon my money directly into their bank accounts.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes.

When a friend of mine and I are debating jumping the grad school ship, we discuss taking auto repair classes somewhere and opening up a auto repair shop.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also wish the time line of high school and college was not so set in stone. I see my niece, who had a couple bad years in high school, wants to be a good student, but is done for now as a senior.

Yes. For instance, I think my own kids would be extremely well-served by a slower pace--because they are advancing; they're just starting later. (And possibly slower, but possibly not.) So why does their age force them to either be doing a second grade curriculum, or have the stigma of being held back? I think these are legitimate questions, and point to things in the system that maybe should be tweaked. (Sorry--just emphasizing once again that I do not think all change is bad.)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
My 3 yr old is the only one I've noticed just seems to sop up learning independent of any pressure. I suspect that as she gets older, that may change, as she discovers that sometimes learning is hard work.
And that just says it all for me right there.

- "Kids love to learn until the system crushes it out of them."
- "Well, I've been through the system and I can't accomplish things without external rewards. Neither can my kids who've been in the system. Only my child who is not yet in the system is like you describe, but she'll learn that learning isn't fun with time."

Squick, you misunderstand me. Learning is easy for my 3 year old. She sops it up, like I said. And she's genuinely curious about a million things. But I know her. As soon as anything isn't her idea or it seems the least little bit like someone is coercing her, she shuts down and becomes a door stop. You might as well try to teach a brick to read. This is not a good life skill.

She's going to have to learn how to work in the world, and that means adapting to it, not it to her.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Jeni, she also might have to just stop being three. I found three and four to be much more "terrible" than two.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
But online school still keeps kids from having and learning from interactions with each other. They will not learn to work and play well with others. It is the same problem involved with some homeschooling situations.

For the record, up until the 7th or 8th grade home schooling is just as affective and doesn't detract from social skills, however after that point it does affect the child.

Back to topic...

I'm one of those students that worked the system. If I had a teacher with a rigidly defined methodology for grading, I would figure out the least amount of work I would need to do to pass the class. I remember distinctly one math class where I figured out just how much home work I would have to do and what grades I would need on tests to pass the class. Could I have applied myself and done better? Most definitely, but I did not.

I hated school; I was bored most of the time. This was not necessarily the fault of the Schools and it culminated in high school. Being a Military Brat, I moved around quite a bit. When we moved from one state to another between my freshman and sophomore year in high school, my course credits went haywire. Some of my credits transferred, others did not. This left me in a half grade. Instead of 10th I was in 9th and a half. The real kicker was that my Advanced Placement classes transferred just fine but the prerequisites did not. Due to the way the courses were offered I ended up in with 4 out 6 classes in a day being electives. I was taking Gym, Drama, Choir, and Show Choir, as well as Basic Algebra and English. That lasted a year and in the middle of 10th grade I dropped out and took my GED 2 weeks later, which I passed without needing to study.

Never bothered with College, though hindsight says I should have.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I appreciate that, but I've become rather resigned that she'll always be this way. My son had terrible 3s, but settled down fairly quickly. My daughter started the "terribles" at 18mths (which she was entitled to at the time as she spent 9 weeks in a body cast about then) and hasn't really shown much sign of encroaching civilization yet. She's just gotten smarter and better at figuring out when we're weak so she can exploit it. [Wink]

Actually, that's not really fair to her. She's the epitome of that little rhyme: "There was a little girl who had a little curl..." When she's good, she's a pure, pure delight. When she's not, my lord, look out! I'm pretty sure that subduing small countries takes less energy.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, you know, of course!
When I look back at my children's early childhood(they are 9 and 11) they are pretty much exactly the way they were from the moment they were born, as far as their personalities go.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
She's the epitome of that little rhyme: "There was a little girl who had a little curl..." When she's good, she's a pure, pure delight. When she's not, my lord, look out! I'm pretty sure that subduing small countries takes less energy.

I can't believe I'm admitting this in public . . . but jeniwren, my parents used to recite that (#$%@!) rhyme at me all the time. I did have such a curl, but apparently that is not the main reason why they felt it applied. *whistles innocently*

I seem to have turned out ok. [Wink] (Although no question, I did far better in those subjects that interested me than in those that did not. Don't tell my kids!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've never heard that poem in an innocent context (as in, applied to a child).
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid to ask in what contexts you HAVE heard it!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.