FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommendation and Question re The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Author Topic: Recommendation and Question re The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate audio books. I can't concentrate on them and invariably lose my place. However, I can whole-heartedly recommend The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. The narration is absolutely perfect - I think I got more out of the story than I would have from reading the book.

A desscription of the story:

quote:
Christopher Boone, the autistic 15-year-old narrator of this revelatory novel, relaxes by groaning and doing math problems in his head, eats red-but not yellow or brown-foods and screams when he is touched. Strange as he may seem, other people are far more of a conundrum to him, for he lacks the intuitive "theory of mind" by which most of us sense what's going on in other people's heads. When his neighbor's poodle is killed and Christopher is falsely accused of the crime, he decides that he will take a page from Sherlock Holmes (one of his favorite characters) and track down the killer. As the mystery leads him to the secrets of his parents' broken marriage and then into an odyssey to find his place in the world, he must fall back on deductive logic to navigate the emotional complexities of a social world that remains a closed book to him.
Does anyone who has read the book know how clinically accurate it is? Many of the externalities of the condition are things I know about, but is the author guessing at the reasons or is this the current theory on it? If it's based in theory, how confident are we in the theory?

Thanks!

[ January 09, 2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how clinically accurate it is. However, I thought it was immeasurably cool that I'd finished reading Chaos right beforehand. He repeatedly mentions it and quotes examples from it throughout.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done an audio book, but I did read this book, the old fashioned way, with my eyes. It struck me as a very sensitive rendering of the point of view of someone who is a high functioning autistic. And I do know folks diagnosed with Aspbergers and with Autism, and, while I haven't discussed the book with them, it did seem to catch their perspective.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the book. My mom and dad both did. My mom said that it was it was pretty true when it comes to how autistic people act. She has dealt with a number of them in the school setting, she teaches Special Services classes.

I couldn't tell you about the actual scientific part, though.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag -

I did quite a lot of work on this novel last year while preparing an in-service seminar for teachers and students in Melbourne who were about to study it as part of their VCE certificate course. There's a number of links on my website here that might be some use. Of particular interest I think are the two interviews with Haddon (links at bottom of page) where he discusses his research and motivations for writing the novel.

My understanding was that Haddon started from his basic story, and later fitted the character of Christopher to it, more as an effective storytelling tool, rather than as a device for exploring specific themes relating to theory of mind.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully it's of some use.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Good stuff. I'll go through it as I get a chance.

One example that sticks out is the reason for the covering the ears and groaning - in the book, it's said to block out sounds which are "overloading" the mind. Is that there anything that talks about whether that's really why some autistics do this?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

I came across a number of theories, but as far as I know none of them definative. The one which springs most readily to mind is that some autistic / aspergers affected people lack the perceptional filters that most of us take for granted - they notice and sense everything that happens around them, and that 'groaning' is one way of coping with the resultant sensory overload.

it's also important to note though, that a number of the books and websites I looked at point out that aspergers particularly is a condition which manifests itself uniquely in every person effected by it; one person may resort to 'groaning' type behaviour when overloaded, another may simply go silent, a third may get violent - there's no hard and fast rule.

As a teacher (back in the old days) I taught a number of students with what was broadly classified as 'asperger's syndrome', but who all demonstrated markedly different behaviours when faced with similar social and emotional situations. The main consistency (and this is purely from personal observation) seemed to be an inability to filter all the information they were receiving, and to therefore try and process all of it.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This book's in my "to be read" stack. I will move that up to be my next read. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Though, someone with an underdeveloped theory of mind, would make a very bad detective. Saying that you have an inability to understand other's thoughts is a bit of an understatement. While 'theory of mind' does refer to the ability to understand other's beliefs, it is also involves separating your beliefs from theirs. There is no putting yourself in someone elses shoes because you don't understand the difference between your shoes and theirs.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

He handles that fairly well, Lupus. One of the interviews discusses how he gets around that. It's definitely worth reading even if it's inaccurate.

I keep hoping someone will write a companion like all those da Vinci Code companions, going through each bit and talking about the actual research on Aspergers. It'd be a very valuable book.

Oh, and it's got the best last sentence of a book ever.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to say that Tony had done some work on it, and I'd get him to pop into this thread.

Too late! [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I know less of the clinical stuff, but when I read the book, Christopher really hit home. He could have been any of the kids I work with, though none of him have the savant gifts he does. I was delighted and pleased to see how honestly he was written.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Dag, Definately one of the best last sentences ever, though not as good as 'The Book Thief" by Markus Zuzak - don't know if that's even out in the states, yet, but it's one of the most intense last lines I've read in years. I won't spoil it by saying anything else.

It's not really a clinical analysis of the book, but the teacher's notes and speech I did on Curious Incident are available here and they include a fairly detailed praisee of the novel, going through in sections, though from a more literary bent - they're targeted at lit teachers and students, after all.

One of the sources I found very interesting reading in companion to 'Curious Incident' was Sack's 'The man who mistook his wife for a Hat...'. Reading his clinincal insights into human consciousness and disorder alongside Haddon's fictional ones provided a degree of insight into haddon's work that I found useful when approaching the novel.

Edit: Typo

[ January 10, 2006, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Hi Sweetie! [Wave] )
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Hi gorgeous...

[/gratuitous thread hijacking for shameless flirting purposes] [Wink]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*gag*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Great links, Scythrop. Thanks. And you've added The Book Thief to my to-do list.

The way the last line is read on the audio version is very powerful.

And I think they're cute, mack. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.