FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Noturnal Girl Living in a Diurnal World

Author Topic: Noturnal Girl Living in a Diurnal World
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I simply am not WIRED to wake up at 6 am and go to bed at around 9 o clock.
I can't do it.
I am not sleepy at 9 or 10 at night, but if it's the morning and I have to sit in front of a computer screen for several hours one can be sure that I am dozing off.
Coffee is no longer working, it is only making my heart beat too fast and trying to go to bed when I should doesn't work either because I simply am not sleepy.
Like right now. [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got that, too. Definitely a night person trapped in a day person's schedule. The kid, too.

Perhaps, someday, you can get night shift work. Until then, [Dont Know]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Or I could become a professional writer and write until 3am and sleep happily till 11.
If I can ever get this novel done and if people want to read such a thing...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a musician, for similarly crazy hours.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
My take on it is that we are all perpetually jet lagged. Considering the fact that I go to be around 4 AM and get up at noon, I figure I'm about 5 hours behind. Then I would be going to bed at 11 and getting up at 7. So *does the math* that would mean that I should be in England right now. I figure it's as good an excuse as any for wanting to live in England. [Wink]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work 10:30 PM to 7:00 AM That was a great schedule for me. Now I'm on a more second-shift schedule, which is still good because I can sleep till around noon if I want to, but overall it's a lot less convenient.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
My schedule right now is normalish (3pm-10pm mon-fri), considering, and i go to bed anywhere from 2-4am. but when i actually start working it starts going from day shift for 6 days and a break and then night shift for 6 days and then break, and it never ends. my internal clock is going to be destroyed.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I work 4:30 am to 12:30 pm. I love it... I've been all kinds of people (night person, day person, needs-eight-hours-or-she-dies person) and I think sleep just takes determination and discipline! And perhaps a teaspoon of Nyquil here and there.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'm living on Japan time.
I was up at 1 am trying to make myself stop reading Harry Potter 5 and listening to Sia long enough to just go to sleep!
But when it gets 1 in the afternoon I'll be nodding off.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My son has the same sleep cycle as you, syn - he is NOT a morning person.

But luckily he is in a job where he works 3 PM to midnight, then he usually stays up until 3 AM winding down after work, then sleeps until nearly noon.

His only problem is when he comes home on weekends, because at my house, he can't stay up until 3 AM (without bothering those of us trying to sleep) so he tries to shift his schedule back, in order to get up for 9 AM church.

Maybe you can find something second shift. The up side for people like that -- second shift also usually pays a shift differential of MORE money per hour than first shift.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia, I understand you. I am pretty much the same way.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Really I'm not sure how much hardwired biology there is to this sort of thing. I've felt precisely the same way for months at a time before, Synesthesia, when in fact I had merely altered my own sleep cycle by either staying up later or going to bed earlier.

This trend usually cycles for me to staying up a half-hour later or so every few nights, and that time being my new earliest bedtime. Eventually I'm going to bed at 4:00am and having to be up at 8:00am or earlier.

Then I yank the reins in by about four or five hours, and once again I am a "morning person".

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much wired to sleep around 3 or 4 and rise at noon. I can alter that with work, but if I allow myself to revert to what my body wants, that's it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am that way, too. Since I was a kid. I am just not sleepy (unless seriously sleep deprived) in the middle of the night. And I have to distract myself to sleep - lying in bed in a dark room only makes it worse.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
I find I generally like to be awake for about 18 hours and then sleep for 9. This adds up to a total sleep/wake cycle of 27 hours/day, which unfortunately, does not match the rotation of the planet...
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.