FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How big is your internet email box?

Author Topic: How big is your internet email box?
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
My gmail box has the following message at the bottom:

You are currently using 403 MB (15%) of your 2683 MB.

My oldest message is from June 14, 2004.

I thought it might be interesting to share.

Please don't share how big your .pst folder or other hard drive folder is, those can be saved forever and only be limited by your hard drive space.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
2.8 gigs in the one I use most often. I think 1.5 gigs in the second-most-often used one.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is for the reasons given above by peterh that I run my own mailserver: I can save it forever and am limited only by my hard drive space. [Smile] That said, the oldest email I still have is from 1992.

(As a side note, it's really remarkable to look at emails from that period and observe how UNLIKE modern emails they are. The etiquette was entirely different.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh do tell, Tom. What are the differences? I was only 8 at the time and I think we may have just gotten our first computer, but we didn't have the internet until I was 14.

Primary account: 217 Megs (8%). Oldest email: 10/31/04, but that's only because I started that account then.

I think I've got old emails running around from 2000 in a really old account though.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Emails tended to be longer, like real letters, and abbreviations and emoticons were used with considerably less frequency. Quoting was quite frequent and more often interspersed within the body of the reply than it is today. Almost everyone who "was anyone" had a .sig file that either included some elaborate ASCII art or their contact info -- or both (although the COOLEST people just included their contact info and maybe a QotD. Speaking of which, everything had Quotes of the Day.) And of course you had to struggle with different encoding formats, especially if someone was sadistic enough to send you an attachment.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I have about 2 gig available to me to use on my Yahoo account. However, I'm using the beta version right now and it doesn't show how much of it I am using. Used to be only 2% so I don't think it has changed much. I tend to not keep most e-mails if I don't have too. Oldest...March 1st 2004. Not too long ago.

My Budweiser account: Currently you are using 9% of your email storage space. 2743k remaining

The oldest now being from Nov 22nd 2003.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep mine in PSTs, after I upgraded from Eudora about 3 years ago.

I'm currently using 3 PSTs, archived back to 1994. So, in 12 years, I have stored 34.6GB.

Oldest mail: 2/18/94

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest email would go back to 1995, if I could find it. I think my emails from back then are on a CD somewhere. Maybe I even printed them out, not knowing that in 10 years I would have so much email, the very idea of trying to keep it organized would keep me awake sleepless, for months.

I remember when email existed on BBS's (buliten board systems) and consisted of sending messages to people on the same BBS. Then the BBS's started networking. At midnight, they would all call each other on the modems and actually send the messages to other BBS's! All of a sudden you could send letters faster than postal mail! (I was like 10 or something when this all started happening, and my older brothers were all involved, one even ran a BBS, so that is the only reason I know.)

I've heard that you should delete all email older than 1 year because if you get sued, you could be subpoened (spent 5 minutes looking that word up!) and then you might have to go through ALL of your email and find everything that applies to the subpoena. So you are only suppose to have at most 1 years of email. If you regurally delete your email, it doesn't look really fishy if you delete a bunch right before a subpoena. Assuming of course, you are doing nothing wrong...

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
I know I have about 2 gig available to me to use on my Yahoo account. However, I'm using the beta version right now and it doesn't show how much of it I am using. Used to be only 2% so I don't think it has changed much.

Speaking of Yahoo (!) Beta, what do you think of it so far? I personally like the interface, but everything takes FOREVER to load. The old Yahoo mail was much, much quicker.

To answer the question I have 2 GB, and use about 10 percent or so.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
A gentleman doesn't brag about how big his is...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.