FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to see this

Author Topic: I want to see this
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Into the Great Silence

quote:

An unlikely film has been filling cinemas in Germany in recent weeks: a three-hour documentary with hardly a single spoken word, set in a monastery.

The film Into Great Silence is an intimate portrayal of the everyday lives of Carthusian monks high in a remote corner of the French Alps.

It came about 17 years after the director first requested permission to make it.

At the monastery, only the candles break the darkness.

It is the middle of the night and in the icy cold of their stone cloister, the monks sit in their thick habits reciting Gregorian verse.

"I think they simply do it because they choose to... become close to God," says the film's director Philip Groening.

"It's a very simple concept, the concept is God himself, is pure happiness, the closer you move to that, the happier you are."

Repetitive lives

He first requested to film in the remote monastery of Grande Chartreuse 17 years ago. When he finally got in, he found a regimented world that is largely unchanged since the founding of the Carthusian Order 10 centuries ago.

[Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So 11th century monks believed God to be unembodied Happiness?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope those monks go to heaven, because they certainly seem unlikely to derive much enjoyment from this life.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Erm, from reading the article, it did not seem like they were unhappy. Quite the opposite.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling not to have contempt for their choice. I know that's not a very Christian attitude and I will need to work on that, I think. I just think that God put us here to help each other, not go off and contemplate His greatness from the heights of the French Alps. I'm sure it must be very free of fears as the director said, and likely seems like it's bathed in innocence, but it strikes me as terribly self-involved.

I'll try to work out how this might be God's plan and maybe I'll understand how this isn't way off the mark.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I know of some spiritual philosophies that say that people who have achieved a certain spiritual elevation help the whole world. For instance, I believe at a certain time each year, many persons converge on a certain spot to meditate on world peace. They firmly believe they have made the world a better place because of their far-removed efforts.

I think it's also worth noting that some people believe that each of us is ultimately responsible for the state of his or her soul.

I do understand what you are saying, though, Jeniwren. I guess it just doesn't bother me because, like some ascetics do, they don't hurt themselves or others, and because they are happy.

I think you are right in an objective sense, though, that in the end, crass, selfish materialism and selfish spirituality come down to the same thing if no good deeds are done.

But, me personally, I'm kind of selfish, so I guess their choice resonates more with me because of that. [Smile]

[ January 11, 2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know - I pretty much long for some great silence in my life.

I wonder how much of this movie is resonating with a spiritual void or longing that people may feel.

I'll watch it with you, Stormy.

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Smile]
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in with the "I want to see this film" crowd.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick. What a total waste of human potential. At least they aren't passing on their genes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.