FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The saddest book I've ever read (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The saddest book I've ever read
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Hmm. The saddest book I've ever read was Where the Red Fern Grows.

Is there anything more southern than a grown man crying about a fictional boy losing his dogs?

That was definitely the saddest book I ever read.

=======SOTH AND SOTG SPOILERS!!!!=======

However, I did cry a bit during SotH when Carlotta dies and at the end of SotG, when it talks about Petra reading the Hegemon.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HectorVictor:
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Hmm. The saddest book I've ever read was Where the Red Fern Grows.

Is there anything more southern than a grown man crying about a fictional boy losing his dogs?

That was definitely the saddest book I ever read.

=======SOTH AND SOTG SPOILERS!!!!=======

However, I did cry a bit during SotH when Carlotta dies and at the end of SotG, when it talks about Petra reading the Hegemon.

I cried during those and also during the Women of Genesis. In the Bible, those women were only mentioned, but there was no real character development. I felt so sad knowing that the women OSC portrayed them as have been dead for at least 4k years...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm revising my entry.

Sarah by J.T. Leroy, and nobody dies.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys had tears streaming down my cheeks first time I read it (47 yr old male, sitting at Honolulu Airport with my wife and kids waiting for our plane home!You can imagine what my teenagers were thinking).
The only other book that made me cry was The Boy With No Shoes, by William Horwood.

And isn't nuclear FISSION the explosive one? I thought nuclear fusion was safe, and we haven't been able to do it yet...

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates was a very sad book, although it has kind of a happy ending.

Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry. I remember sitting there on the couch reading it and crying. I can't remember how old I was when I read it, but old enough not to cry at the drop of a hat. It was a sad book.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who laughed and laughed at Where the Red Fern Grows?

Maybe I was too old when I read it, but I found the story to be a cheap set of tricks designed to manipulate you emotionally. It was so blatant to me that I was put off, until I decided that the author must have done it on purpose to entertain, so I laughed instead.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just annoyed that

spoiler

BOTH OF THE DOGS HAD TO DIE! Then the mother and father, who were already irratating as it is because the father would have taken the boy's hard earned money and bought a MULE with it. With his money! At least his grandfather was cool, giving him candy and stuff and telling the boy that he'd help him out.
But the parents were all like, well, it was God's will because we couldn't move to the city (and the city sucked by the way, beating up that boy and picking on his dogs) with a pair of country dogs. That really is not comforting by any stretch of the imagination as he loved those dogs and it sucked to lose both of them because of some stupid mountain lion. Grr, that was annoying...
That poor kid [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
And isn't nuclear FISSION the explosive one? I thought nuclear fusion was safe, and we haven't been able to do it yet...

First off, where in the world did that come from, lol?

Secondly, they both produce energy, and if there is enough mass, an explosion. The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were fission bombs, while the more-powerful hydrogen bomb, or H-bomb uses a fission reaction as a trigger to create the necessary pressures and temperatures for fusion to take place, causing deuterium and I think tridium to fuse into elemental He (please correct me if I am wrong on the isotopes).

Finally, there are reactors that use both fission and fusion (separately of course, i.e., different reactors) to produce energy. These have the potential to be "explosive" but are contained within strong magnetic fields, and are surrounded by giant vats of water that insulate the extremely high temeperatures needed to cause the reactions. As of now, we have just surpassed the barrier in fusion technology so that we now get more energy out of fusion than we put into it. However, we are still far from the point at which the net energy produced is enough that it has any useful value whatsoever. The reactors that currently provide power for populations are all fission reactors.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
It came from the first post:
"Yet it gets some things so wrong--the assumption that we will allow fusion reactors to be commonly built into spacecraft for propulsion. Sure, that might work, if we could guarantee that they wouldn't be used as bombs by some fanatic. Imagine 9/11, but with Nuclear Fusion Reactors on ships dropping from orbit."

And thanks for the explanation.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

Ah, thx for that Cashew.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a laser launch system that could work very well with a ground based dedicated fussion source, using the ground laser to turn a ramjet filled chamber into a plasma spewing rocket, or you could use anything, water, sewage, whatever you could keep coming as the laser vaporizes it.

In fact the Book Footfall which harkens back to the same era and makes many of the same points has aliens setting up such a system here on Earth as well as other space based weapons. It also discusses the Orion, a massive space station, essentially a giant iron mushroom cap that is launched by means of nuclear fission bombs. Nasty on the environment but a quick and dirty way to put a lot of mass into space.

Still I think that we have a cusp at hand where it will no longer require government interest to start the move into space, the cost benefit will soon mean large investment groups will start us in the right direction and the government will have to play catch up!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
They have both been mentioned on here already but i think the two saddest books are definantly,

1. Bridge to Taribithia. This one actually made me tear up.

2. Where the Red Fern Grows. Our teacher read this too us in my fourth grade class. I didn't cry with all my peers arround me but I got the biggest lump in my throught.(I spelled that wrong)

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0range7Penguin:
I got the biggest lump in my throught.(I spelled that wrong)

So...spell it right! [Razz]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Waaaaait, when Flint Fireforge died in the Dragonlance novels also made me cry.

LOL, I wasn't expecting anyone to post it -- but same here. Poor Flint.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.