FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 24 - Day 5

Author Topic: 24 - Day 5
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Crap.

Did anyone get the idea that the writers went to see Serenity, and then thought, "Hey, you know what, Maybe's Joss is onto something here with what he did to those beloved main characters..."

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Serenity, but I absolutely LOVE the show 24. This is shaping up to be a good season, and I can't wait until tomorrow night for the next two hours.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
*huge spoilers for the already aired episode*

wow, it was amazing...and brutal. I also can't wait until the next episodes. I hope Tony is able to snap out of it and join the fight sometime this season. Seeing Michelle killed will make him nice and pissed off.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
When doesn't the hero's wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother, etc get killed and/or brutalized? That type of "now it's personal" is just a purely cheesy demonstration incontrovertibly proving that the writers are misogynistic tenth-rate hacks.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
If all the stuff they promised in the previews actually happens tomorrow, I wonder where the heck they'll go with the next 5/6 of the season ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
If all the stuff they promised in the previews actually happens tomorrow, I wonder where the heck they'll go with the next 5/6 of the season ...

I have wondered that in past seasons...but frequently they will tie up what seems to be the main plot line, only to show that it was only a setup for the real plot of the season.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim wants to know if Kiefer Sutherland is going to be on it this season or not. And he's surprised about that death thing. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the fact that Season 4 was terrible, I'm giving this one a chance.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
23:50

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed that the guy who played President Palmer is the guy from the Allstate insurance commercials?

Seriously, though, The show was awsome last night. [Eek!]

Great, another show I have to get on DVD. [Grumble]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
Has anyone else noticed that the guy who played President Palmer is the guy from the Allstate insurance commercials?

Seriously, though, The show was awsome last night. [Eek!]

Great, another show I have to get on DVD. [Grumble]

Yeah, I sell Allstate Insurance. I love that guy.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the prequel to Day 5 on the season 4 dvd set? It took place a year after season 4, 6 months before season 5. Basically had a very terrible looking Bauer with shabby clothes and long hair meeting Chloe somewhere. Quickly turned into a Toyota commercial with them being chased and getting away.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
They actually make a joke in season 4. If I remember correctly, Mike is talking to Palmer and mentions something about the country being "In Good Hands"

Jack looked sooo awful in that Day 5 preview. Especially in comparison to a surprisingly attractive looking Chloe.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
*previous Season possible Spoilers*

quote:
When doesn't the hero's wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother, etc get killed and/or brutalized? That type of "now it's personal" is just a purely cheesy demonstration incontrovertibly proving that the writers are misogynistic tenth-rate hacks.
I disagree. Although it was brutal in the first season that Jack's wife got both raped and murdered and another season had Michelle get tortured, the vast majority of the violence has been to the males in the show. Even in this season the revenge factor is spurred by the murder of Palmer.

Jack had to kill his innocent boss, torture the ex husband of his girl friend, be willing to kill Kim's fiancé, and has been subjected to all sorts of violence and addiction.

When the woman suffer it is to no extant greater then the man (except the first season), and they tend to be very brave, cool, and collected. Evan the rape was an opportunity to show the strong bond between the mother and daughter. The mom was willing to sacrifice everything for her daughter--it was not about how cool it is that a woman got rapped.

Misogynistic? No. Ultraviolent for a public tv series? Yes.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I get to be the first to comment on tonight's episode!

I love how they always find a way to make sure the plot finds a way to keep going. One thing I don't understand, is when do the actors have time for a bathroom break, lol? Running around with an unemptied bladder for 24 hours has got to be hard on the body [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

On a more serious note, I could have sworn that that guy from District was going to be a bad guy until no one noticed Jack's distress call.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when do the actors have time for a bathroom break
During the commercials.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
two more good episodes tonight, but now i'm worried that we're going back down another crazy terrorist plot kinda deal, which i was really hoping not to do. i got the impression from the first couple eps that it was going to be a slightly more intimate season somewhat more like the first. if it ends up being some kind of goofy terrorist hodgepodge like season 4, it's not going to hold my interest very long.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure the guy from district isn't a bad guy. I'm thinking the terrorist #1 was just playing terrorist #2. But I like Sean, so I'm being hopeful.

My jaw actually dropped for the first hour. That was harsh.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my recap of Sunday's second episode of 24.

Agent: We need to figure out a new way to go in.
CTU Director: Okay, but hurry, because we've got to go in fast.
Agent: You bet. We're going in.
CTU Director: How long until you go in?
Agent: Right about the time we go in.
Jack: Go in through the left side. Use the itsay away aptray maneuver.
Agent and Terrorist: Wow. No possible code there.
CTU Director: No need to change our plans. Let's continue stalling when we go in.
Terrorist: Oh, I can't wait until they go in.
CTU Director: We're probably just about ready to go in.
Agent: We're ready to go in, unless anyone else wants to review our plans.
Samwise Rudy: I want to review all your plans before you go in.
CTU Director: Okay. But then we're going in, we swear.
Samwise Rudy: I think Jack may have used a code. Change a bunch of stuff before you go in.
Agent: But we want to go in!
Docmagik, at home watching: You know, by now I could have driven to the Ontario Airport and gone in myself.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

The next episode is on at 10 pm EST tonight, just 1:15 from when I'm making this post!
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally skipped reading this thread because my husband and I just started renting season one and I didn't want to happen on any spoilers. We are so addicted to this show already and I can't believe that it's taken us this long to get with it! It's fabulous! (He's at Blockbuster right now getting the second dvd...can't wait)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

so who is still watching this season?
*SPOILERS for the last episode*

I really like it so far. I couldn't believe that they were going to send the young girl with that nut job. Heck, even if they tried to watch them, there is a chance that he would get away with her. Of course, watching the preview for next week's episode made this week's episode less shocking.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubby and I deliberately don't watch the scenes for next week. We don't like getting spoiled.

I had a hard time feeling sorry that the child molester got shot. I also had a hard time feeling bad that the traitor guy hanged himself.

Chloe's personality disorder just gets cuter all the time. "I just came over to say you don't work here anymore. You're fired. These guys are here to get you out of the building." .... "Shut up Edgar"

How long will it be before Jack says "Audrey, go pick up Kim" and thus condemn her to death. There's no more dangerous place in the world than in a car with Kim.

I wonder when Tony is gonna get out of surgery. Will he be mopey or out for revenge?

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I was supposed to work last night, but I got cancelled, so my husband and I sat and watched the first 6 hours of this season back to back - mainly cause I couldn't bear to turn it off and wait to see what was going to happen next.

It's a really good story so far.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
How long will it be before Jack says "Audrey, go pick up Kim" and thus condemn her to death. There's no more dangerous place in the world than in a car with Kim.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about that Audrey and Kim thing, too.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Maybe they'll kill Kim off, and thus end any possibility of future involvement...
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

That would be too sad. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Really? I mean in terms of the characters, yes, but really, I enjoyed the sans-Kim season a lot.
Ela
Member # 1365

It's not that Kim is such a great character. I swore, in the first season, that if I saw her one more time with duct tape on her mouth and panic in her eyes, I was going to scream. [Razz]

But it would be sad for Jack, as a character.

smitty
Member # 8855

Yeah, but if it's between Kim and Audrey, I vote for Kim to die. You know they're going to mess with Jack, they do every year.
docmagik
Member # 1131

(I don't need to put a spoiler warning here, because this is a season 5 thread, and everybody knows things will be spoiled in it, right?)

No, Audrey's got to go. And quick, too. I will never forgive the producers for eliminating the attractive, interesting Michelle before the lifeless, dull, and bland Audrey.

I didn't like Jack's wife, either. Overall, Jack has flat-out terrible taste in women. That's why he never so much as glanced at Michelle. Nina was pretty interesting, but not overly so, which got Jack's interest but kept him being able to fully commit.

Kim, at least, is pretty. That's shallow of me, I know, but a redeeming quality is better than none. Let Audrey die.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I hate to say it, but I didn't like Michelle all that much. Now Tony can come back full time.

SPOILER FOR EARLIER SEASONS!!

Because my all time favorite moment was Tony coming to the rescue after getting kicked out of CTU.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Doc: Nina was really hot! Clauuuuuuuuuuuudia was hot too! (of course, Terri wasn't particularly attractive...)

But Audrey isn't that bad, yeah, she's no Michelle but who is?

At least Tony "Soul Patch" Almeda is still around. And maybe Naked Mandy will show up later in the show to do some Evil.

Pix

smitty
Member # 8855

Oooh! Naked Mandy!
docmagik
Member # 1131

Ah, Mandy. At last something on which we can all agree.

Nina became hot when she became evil. It was a strange, magical transformation, and I have no idea how or why it happened, but I agree that it did. I am sure Jack lost all interest in her at that point.

As for Tony, I'm hoping they can make his return this season as cool as it was last season. I was afraid we were going to get several "hours" of people saying, "Tony's condition is so unstable. It could go either way." They've stayed away from that, but I am looking forward to seeing an injured Tony that is not supposed to be out of bed out shooting people in the head.

I don't anticipate he'll be very withdrawn. His withdrawl from CTU at the end of last season was centered around wanting Michelle to be safe. His prior wussy period was due to Michelle leaving him--not someone taking her from him. With no Michelle, and no possibility of getting her back, I anticipate he'll rampage with reckless abandon.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.