FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Mexican Food (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Mexican Food
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading OSC's latest review, and the topic of Mexican food came up.

I have a little review of my own for anyone who happens to visit Eugene, Oregon.

There's two little restaurants there, both named Mucho Gusto, and THEY serve great Mexican food.

As you walk in and get in line, you can often see employees making the salsas, guacamoles, and other fillings from FRESH ingredients - yes, REAL avocadoes, REAL tomatoes, REAL sarrano and jalapeno peppers, REAL cilantro. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

You get in line and decide what entree you want. Will you have a burrito, salad, tostada, soft taco, crispy taco, or whatever else they have? Keep in mind that the chips, tortillas, and taco shells are made FROM SCRATCH at each location and aren't the rubberized things to which OSC referred. Once you've picked your medium, you then get to choose a protein. Eugene is unfortunately the Hippy Capital of the World, and there are many vegan/vegetarians in the town, so Tofu is of course one of the options. But there is also pork, chicken, fried fish (cooked fresh when ordered), or ground beef (not mystery meat like at Taco Bell), all of which are in wonderful seasoning. You have a choice of pinto or black beans, cooked from fresh ingredients on location. The rice is good, you can have fresh cabbage and lettuce, a choice of three different FRESH salsas, FRESH olives, jalapenos, and cilantro, jack and cotija cheeses, a FRESH mango salsa, and FRESH guacamole. Did I mention that every ingredient is fresh and made on-sight?

The best part is that they will put on as much of whatever ingredient you do (or don't) want. It's sort of like how Subway makes sandwiches for you, except that THIS food is actually good.

The downside is that the mango salsa and guacamole cost extra, as does getting a double-protein portion, but they are well worth the extra cash. Besides, even without double meat, the burritos (what I usually get) are PACKED.

Most entrees are served with a side of tortilla chips and a salsa of your choice. How much would you expect to pay for food of this quality? Ten, twelve dollars? Nope! It's yours for as little as 6 bucks, depending on which entree you chose.

So, Mr. Card, if you're ever in Eugene, Oregon (THAT'LL be the day, though, one never knows. He may drive through on the way to visiting relatives in Richland, WA), you know where to eat!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfffft.

You need to come to L.A., my friend. We have real Mexican food here. As in, you have to order in Spanish or with hand gestures, as no one behind the counter speaks enough English to take your order.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so the dough is synthetic?

*agahst*

I am aghast!

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I only know enough Spanish to say, "Quesadilla con pollo por favor."

And I've never had a burrito in my life.

I'm such a bad Californian.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Pos, como? Que is esse ground beef? Crispy Taco? Pos, no, que no!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno, I'll take you out for decent Mexican food any time you're in my area. We have some places where they do speak English, but not much, and the food is still most excellent, within walking distance of our apartment.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And I agree. Ground beef and crispy tacos are not real Mexican food.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I remember, growing up, my dad trying to get me to eat a goat taco. My brother did. I took one bite and demanded chicken.)
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Many Mexican friends, after having visited the US, comment on how beautiful the country is and how frendly the people are. But, they can't stand the Damned Sweet Beans that people keep trying to serve them.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one true Mexican resteraunt with good salsa here in New Mexico, and thats El Pinto.

If you've been in a Wal'Mart recently you may have seen their salsa.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I was studying in England over the summer and the group went to Edinburgh for the weekend. We saw a Mexican restaurant and walked in for an afternoon snack. I didn't want to, but they all missed Mexican food too much to resist it.

As usual, I ordered a quesadilla. It had no cheese. And instead of sour cream, they gave me mayo.

Those crazy Scots... [Smile]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Pfffft.

You need to come to L.A., my friend. We have real Mexican food here. As in, you have to order in Spanish or with hand gestures, as no one behind the counter speaks enough English to take your order.

Hm...getting to be that way in Oregon, too. Give it a couple years.

Then again, Mexican food in Oregon has GOT to be better than that in the SE U.S. This particularly if Baja Fresh is the best in Greensboro. /shrug

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pfffft.

You need to come to L.A., my friend. We have real Mexican food here. As in, you have to order in Spanish or with hand gestures, as no one behind the counter speaks enough English to take your order."

I think good Mexican food can be found all over the country. There are, in fact, MANY different types of Mexican food, some of it rather on the American food-looking end of things.

Go to San Francisco and you get food from the Baja region.

Etc.

Mexico is a large country, with a varied cuisine. it is not all about tortillas and beans.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably 3 I would say...
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The only real Mexican food is the one I MAKE FROM SCRATCH. I've been to dozens of mexican restaurants and nothing tops what I, my mom and my grammie cook. NOTHING.

And thanks for pointing out that there is SO much more than rice and beans to Mexican cuisine!

[ January 17, 2006, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I remember, growing up, my dad trying to get me to eat a goat taco. My brother did. I took one bite and demanded chicken.)

I can beat that - when I was last in Mexico I was offered a goat kidney taco. I ate one, but I let my friend eat the rest.

And I also agree with KQ about restaurants where they don't speak Spanish, in fact I'm disappointed if I walk into a Mexican restaurant around here and they greet me in English (which only happens when my companions are blonde)...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

re. New Mexico review: How about that little adobe place in La Mesilla. (just out of Las Cruces) The one with the OPEN sign stapled to the screen door. Thick hand made tortillas cooked on a clay oven! Don't tell me it has been urbanly renewed.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
The only real Mexican food is the one I MAKE FROM SCRATCH. I've been to dozens of mexican restaurants and nothing tops what I, my mom and my grammie cook. NOTHING.

I believe you.

Though, since Eugene is PROBABLY a lot closer to me than the homes of your family members, and seeing that they would be hesitant to welcome a complete stranger to their dinner table, I'll have to settle for what I can get. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Elizabeth, I was going to respond, but I found that unbelievably hostile. So I won't.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Alty, can I come to your grandma's house? That's my favorite kind of Mexican food, too!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my place is probably closer and easier to get to considering I'm in San Diego, California and my grammie is in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can top both of you on the zany food factor. When I was a kid, my mom gave me a warm bowl of Menudo. She failed to tell me until I was half way through with it and actually enjoying it that Menudo was a spicey soup with tripe and hominy. When I asked her what tripe was she smiled and said cow stomach. To my credit or craziness, you decide, I still eat it. However, I must have lots of hominy in my bowl whenever I eat it. And yet, I still don't like liver.

Oh, my favorite Mexican food is tamales.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care for menudo too much, I think it might have something to do with the hoof I saw in it...
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

What?! The hoof is goooooooooood!!!!
I've got a few favorite dishes myself: Chiles Rellenos, Caldo de Res, Verdolagas, Mole de Olla, Mole Verde, Mole Poblano.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be but I was young and didn't give it much of a chance.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't like menudo, but then, I don't like any organ meats. Also, I've seen hair in it sometimes, and hair in my food just grosses me out.

I love chiles rellenos, but my two absolute favorites are sopa de albondigas (preferably with fresh tortillas) and a good torta carne asada, no jalapeno (don't like the texture) or tomato (hate tomato), with lots of extra salsa.

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I love and adore Mexican food, I wish it was easier to get South American food in the states. I've been to Venezuela, Chile and Uruguay, and I'm telling you those people know what to do with steak.

Fruit smoothies totally unlike anything in the States and so yummy!

Plantains and black beans are there, true, but there is so much more, and somehow they just taste better when sitting next to a big steak smothered in melted cheese.

I loved soft goat cheese instead of butter on my bread, fresh guava juice for breakfast, and really awesome sandwiches with ingredients like palm hearts and fresh artichokes.

But the best of all are the Brazilian style grills where they have about 15 kinds of meat on stakes and continually make the rounds with them, carving onto your plate each one as often as you like. Lots of veggies in the middle of the tables too, but I admit to being a meat lover and you don't have to guess what I focused on!

I went to a restaurant in Denver that claimed to be the same format. It was way overpriced, much fewer items to choose from, and several of them were more grease than substance. Oh well.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I hear from a friend who served a mission in Argentina that there is a place around here somewhere with empanadas almost like the ones in Argentina.
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Empanadas and Brahma make the world go round.
Or something like that.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

quote:
Celaeno, I'll take you out for decent Mexican food any time you're in my area. We have some places where they do speak English, but not much, and the food is still most excellent, within walking distance of our apartment.

If I ever find myself down there, I'm holding you to that. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ketchupqueen, I deleted that comment, and I am sorry for saying that. It was a nasty way of saying what I feel.

I do, however, feel that your original comment was belittling to BandoCommando, who was sharing an opinion, which you tore down.

My comment was inappropriate, though, and for that I am truly sorry.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Empanadas...*drool*...The first time I had an empanada was a roadside stand near a beach in Chile. We had them with cold beer. It, along with another meal I had while in Chile, still ranks as one of the best meals I've ever had. Ever. So. Good. I tried to make them once, and they were dreadful, like bad potpies.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I make empanadas a couple of times a month, they are really good, but it is hard to make them because I don't exactly have a recipe. My sister was on a LDS mission in Argentina, and she learned how to make them there, from the families she'd visit. So she taught me, but the instructions are very vague so they turn out different everytime.

I don't put any sauce in my empanadas so they aren't at all like potpies, plus I usually put too much cumin and cayanne pepper in. But I also throw in what ever left overs I have around, so my empanadas are not very authentic. Though I did learn to make the crust the authentic way, but it turned out to be harder that way.

There isn't any good mexican food in Columbus, in fact there is only one resteraunt to speak of that serves anything remotely resembling authentic mexican. It is fairly good, and mexican food is so hard to come by out here that I'll take what I can get, but now I live just a little too far away. Though Columbus has excellent Somali, Turkish, and Indian food, it just lacks good mexican food.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Remember that thread where people were trying to figure out why you were still single? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Tom
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sarcare, you're in Columbus? I had no idea! I'm in Dayton, myself. There is one hole in the wall Mexican place down here that I'm told is both authentic and quite good, but I haven't been there yet.

Where are the good Somali and Turkish restaurants in Columbus?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

Remember that thread where people were trying to figure out why you were still single? [Wink]
[ROFL]
Is it because I'm Mexican then? What are you, a racist? [Big Grin]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bad judge of what's good mexican food because I love *ALL* kinds!

Texmex, burritos, my home made chicken enchiladas, even taco bell. All mexican food is Good mexican food.

In fact in 20 min a friend of mine and I are going to go get some Fish Tacos. Yum. (Get your mind out of the gutter *RIGHT NOW*)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

What gutter?
*stares blankly*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Elizabeth, thanks. It just didn't sound like you. [Kiss]

My comment was intended in fun, btw. You know, like in the "which is better" thread, where everyone scoffs at each other's choices? Kinda like that. Sorry if that didn't come across. I shoulda stuck out my tounge. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I don't understand what gutter, either, Alty. I like fish tacos...)
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Fish tacos.
Tuna tacos.
Major innuendo.
But I won't go there.
Even though I just did.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I so still don't get it.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss good Mexican food. I eat at Maui Tacos occasionally, and it's quite tasty... their fish tacos are good, and I love their pineapple salsa, but it's just not the same as some of the family run places in California and New Mexico.

Speaking of the different "types" of Mexican food, one of my favorite places was run by a family from a coastal area of Mexico, and most of their dishes contained seafood. Pulpo al Diablo (I probably butchered the spelling, sorry) and shrimp dishes were my favorite.

Mmmmm... I could sure use some enchiladas and rellenos right now. As much as I love Hawaiian and Asian food, I get a little tired of it. Spicy Mexican food is comfort food to me.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ketchupqueen, Alt, it's a slang term for female genitalia.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What is? [Confused]

I'm sorry, I got that something in there had to be, but I don't know what.

Noemon
Member # 1115

"Fish taco" or "tuna taco", either one. They're terms I've always found pretty juvenile, I have to say.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. Okay.

Makes no sense to me.

I'm going to take that as a good thing, I guess.

When people I know say, "I'm gonna go get me some fish tacos!" they mean they're going to go eat some fish tacos. Probably with cabbage and radish on them. And a squeeze of lime.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cabbage and radish.

hee hee.

Noemon, don't even tell them!

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
it's for the best, kq. I've always heard that fish tacos were pretty good.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.