FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alright Rackers! You think you can write a Song?

Author Topic: Alright Rackers! You think you can write a Song?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an assignment for a music class: Write a Song. Not a pop song, not a rock song, but a Romantic song, in the style of Schubert, Schumann and Mendelssohn.

These types of songs are based around popular poetic verse, and I need some suggestions for that. The requirements are that the poetry must be in English or Spanish (I DO NOT want to set anything in German), and it has to be from the 19th century or early 20th. Other than that, nearly anything goes.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Make a rap song based on Beowulf.

Wait....that might be a little early....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro--Maybe you could try something from George Gordon Lord Byron (1788-1824). Might I recommend "And Thou Art Dead, As Young And Fair?" It has 8 stanzas, but you do not have to set them all. This poem is believed to have been written for a deceased young protege of Byron's. It would give you a chance to express the poem in minor keys, modes, etc., due to the subject matter.

Also, if that sort of morbidity intrests you, look also at Karl J. Shapiro's "Elergy For A Dead Soldier." Too many high school & college composers have a tendancy to select the same material to set to music due to their lack of poetical experience. Your asking could be thought by some to indicate your higher IQ. On the other hand, some might just say that you're lazy.

Maybe someone here at Hatrack could give you something; there are a lot of talented people here. Boogashaga daughter (Version 1.0), is in the honors program at her university and minoring in creative writing. She has an awful lot of really good poetry (this is, of course, from a totally objective Dad!!). Would you be interested, or are you up against the clock with this assignment? Don't be afraid to do something weird/different. That always seemed to work well for me.

Good luck, sir!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Was your daughter writing in the 19th or early 20th century, boogashaga? She's a classic already! [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by boogashaga:
Your asking could be thought by some to indicate your higher IQ. On the other hand, some might just say that you're lazy.

[ROFL] Are the two mutually exclusive? I think not sir!

The jury is out on "New" poetry. If your daughter would like to throw a work in for consideration I will certainly look at it, and might use it, I have a few weeks yet, we are in the exploration phase of the assignment

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
When Booga daughter (Version 1.0) wrote her first poem that I was aware of, it was in grade school (grade 2,3, or 4)and was about George Washington. Mrs. Booga read it one evening (we have always gone over the homework) and told her that she couldn't copy someone else's work and pass it off as her own. Daughter got sort of mad and I never saw the poem again. That was when she started hiding stuff that she wrote.

As far as being brilliant AND lazy, I can testify to you that it is all that it's cracked up to be, sir.

I am currently working on a fugal piece for a Xmas program for the Ward Choir. Writing for the restrictions of the Ward Choir is a challenge in and of itself. My theme is only 4 bars long (in 2/2), for example.

Good luck on your assignment. Keep us informed!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Make an Enya-like song called Orincoro Flow.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Purple Cow. Definitely go with Purple Cow. Or the Dead Brothers' Duel.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Put some music to Orc songs out of Tolkien.

Oh, wait. They did that in the cartoon version. I still remember "Where there's a whip (boom crack) there's a way!" What's more romantic than that?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to A. E. Housman within that time frame, but Purple Cow is also good. [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
I love her for her smile--her look--her way
Of speaking gently,--for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of ease on such a day--
For these things in themselves, Belovèd, may
Be changed, or change for thee,--and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheek dry,--
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
But love me for love's sake, that evermore
Thou may'st love on, through love's eternity

-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Make an Enya-like song called Orincoro Flow.

[ROFL]

Somehow I don't see that happening.

boogashaga
Member # 8881

Orincoro--Booga daughter (Version 1.0) says "no go" to the idea of using her poetry for your art song. Sorry, sir. Maybe next year!

Good luck with your assignment!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.