FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Lurking under the forum, or, how to deal with trolls

Author Topic: New column: Lurking under the forum, or, how to deal with trolls
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Lurking under the forum, or, how to deal with trolls

It is now a federal crime to annoy someone over the Internet. Anonymously, I mean. I'm still in the clear.

Packaged in with the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act signed last week, the law states that anyone who uses the Internet 'without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten" will be fined or tossed in the pokey for a couple of years, or both. Goodbye, LiveJournal. We hardly knew ye.

The intention was to reduce cyberstalking, but the law is worded vaguely enough to use against the Web's most reviled inhabitants: shady, skulking people whose sworn duty is to annoy others. People whose only goal is to disrupt and infuriate, who pride themselves on ruining any chances of civilized discourse. I'm talking, of course, about radio talk show hosts.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sah-weeeet.
quote:
Respond to the useful information in the troll's post and ignore the rest.
I adore answers that are both appropriate and the most likely to result in the best outcome, all things considered.

It's really a good way to approach any response one crafts, at least in the forum format. IMHO.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a few hatrackers who may be serving time soon.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

I'm gonna stick with ignoring the trolls for now, but I like the tips.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's tough to do, but it's the only method I've ever found that was effective even some of the time.

One self-proclaimed troll at the Serenity boards was ravaging the place and I got him, eventually, into a discussion of the movie. After a few exchanges he even commented on it. "Wow, if I were you I'd have yelled at me by now. Do you have kids?"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worded vaguely enough to use against spammers. While they may claim a different intent, they also know that what they do is considered to be annoying by the vastly overwhelming majority of folks who receive their missives.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
One would wonder which trolls you had in mind when crafting that particular column... [Smile]

Now where's our ignore poster button? LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
so...who likes pie?

[Wink]

Just kidding Chris - a great column, as ever.
cheers
t

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.