FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kill Bill (Gates that is)

Author Topic: Kill Bill (Gates that is)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrggg!!! I had a research proposal due in to the EPA this afternoon. Last night, while saving the file, the Word crashed destroying everything in the file. Luckily I had a back up copy on my home computer (unfortunately is was missing the most recent 4 hours of my work). So I went home and spent the night repeating the work I did during the day. I got a few hours of sleep and then got up early to make a few final changes. While saving this version onto my flashdrive, Word once again freaked out and erased the file. Luckily I still had a copy on my hard drive but it was once again missing my last hour or so of editing changes. Once again, I repeated a lost hour of work and then headed into my office.

I opened the file on my laptop so that I could add the final figures to the text and you guessed, Word locked up when I pasted the figures into the document. I had to ctrl alt delete out of the program. When I tried to reopen the document, Word had once again erased it from my flashdrive. I had to rush back home to get the copy off my home computer, mean while I've got a room full of students waiting for me another group lining up at more door for help with various problems.

I did somehow manage to get the proposal sent in, no thanks to Microsoft. I'm a bit afraid to look at it now. I wonder how many of my editing changes were lost in the process.

There is nothing unusual about the document I was writing. It does contain several large figures but these figures have all been used in previous documents without event. These three crashes happened on three different computers, using three different operating systems and on two different flash drives. The only common thread was MS Word.

Can anywhere here drive by microsoft and spray the building with a few hundred bullets for me? Kill!! Kill!!! Kill!!!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you lost so much work. I know how it feels. [Frown]

This doesn't help you now, nor excuse MS, but in the future, once a word file crashes, you should do a "Save As" or make a new file and copy and paste everything into it. The incremental save feature is one of the things that screws things up.

I don't know if this applies to Word 2003, but it definitely helped in earlier versions.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The incremental save feature is one of the things that screws things up.
Turning "fast save" off entirely is a good idea, too, for the same reason.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that. [Frown]

If it makes you feel any better, Microsoft's reign of terror will not last forever.

Google's launch of its recommended software package (which includes Firefox) is a step towards challenging Microsoft's PC-space dominance.

quote:
The rise of Google, mobile devices and wireless networks will spell the end to Microsoft’s dominance in the software market, Sun Microsystems co-founder Bill Joy predicted last week.

Speaking at MIT Technology Review’s annual emerging technologies conference, Joy said the emergence of the new technologies and the “near” and “here” Web ushers in a new era of user interfaces that will replace Windows and “nomadic” computing. CRN

Of course, in a few years from now, users will complaining about Google, too. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I always do that. In this case, I couldn't do an incremental save after the crash since the entire files were lost. I was only save because I had older version save in different places. Fast save is disabled on at least two of the computers, I need to check the third.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried open office?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that Bill Joy is almost always wrong.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Have you tried open office?
Not more stable for me last time I tried - although I haven't tried the newest version.

quote:
Dag, I always do that. In this case, I couldn't do an incremental save after the crash since the entire files were lost. I was only save because I had older version save in different places. Fast save is disabled on at least two of the computers, I need to check the third.
Yikes. I haven't found a solution beyond that - it just seems to h appen, very rarely, to large documents. I had one 45-page document that I had to copy paragraph by paragraph - one particular paragraph was the one causing the crash. It wasn't worth the time it took except I really wanted to know what the heck was going on.

quote:
Google's launch of its recommended software package (which includes Firefox) is a step towards challenging Microsoft's PC-space dominance.
It's worth noting that Firefox has not been more stable for me than IE 6 was. It crashes about twice a month, compared to less than half that for IE 6 when I used it.

But I think it's still worth using, for other reasons.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I've had great luck with firefox. I can't remember the last time it crashed on me. I'm currently posting from Safari (Apple OS X). I think it crashes more that firefox but much less frequently than IE for Mac.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, with me, it's just that IE almost never crashed, not that Firefox crashes much. I heard horror stories from others, and couldn't do much but shrug because I had good luck.

Can't speak to the Mac, of course.

Edit: With Firefox, it's mostly when I lose and regain internet connection while the browser is looking up a site. There's some bug there, but I can't exactly duplicate it.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
MS 2003/04 never gave me any problems.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Me neither, but I haven't written a long, complicated document with lots of diagrams since I upgraded.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.