FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for resume tips

Author Topic: Looking for resume tips
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to apply for an RA position here at my school for this fall, and I have to write a resume. Since I will just be starting my sophomore year, I will probably have to make a really good impression to get the job. However, I've never really had to write a resume before, and I could use some advice.

I did have one steady job for about a year and a half, but the experience there probably doesn't apply to being an RA. I suppose I should play up the Girl Scout/good behavior stuff?

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
When listing your experiences (and, yes, include Girl Scouts, especially leadership roles), use past tense verb phrases.

For example, look at the difference between.

quote:
Personnel Management: employee hiring, benefits management, HR policies, supervision of employees, and oversight of technical training.
quote:
Personnel Management: Hired new employees, managed benefits packages, created HR policies for 15 to 30 person company, supervised employees, and oversaw technical training
And your experience for a job for a year and a half is important, regardless of what it was. Longevity is good, as is any example of responsibility.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Skip the objective. They're all the same. "Looking for a position that will utilize my skills, experience, etc." Blah. Blah. Blah.

Put your best asset up first. If it's education, that goes up top. If it's work experience that goes. And yes, include the work experience even it it wasn't the same as what you're applying for - it still shows an ability to hold down a job and be responsible.

No gaps. If your work experience ends in May 2000, then you need to put something that starts in June 2000, even if it's "Full-time student, XXY college"

Do not go over one page. Do include a separate cover letter and that is where you talk about what you're looking for and why you think you should have the position. The cover letter is in many cases more important than the resume, my mom the HR guru never looks at resumes if the cover letter is bad. Her reasoning is that there are tons of resume help programs and places that will help you write one but most people write their cover letter themselves, so it tells her more about the person. If you can't write a grammatically correct, coherent letter then she doesn't want you.

This sounds stupid, but don't forget your contact information and be sure the numbers you put there have voice mail or an answering machine, even if you have to put down your parents number. My mom will also refuse to hire people she can't get in touch with. I've seen her throw away a resume after trying to call someone and not getting an answer and saying "If they wanted a job they'd have voice mail." Of course, Mom can be tough. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not include illustrations in your resume. Even though a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is no longer considered correct to list your measurements, age, or dating status.

Do include volunteer experience along with paying jobs. Do not include any paying jobs that were on the wrong side of the law, however.
quote:
April 2003 through February 2005 -- Drug Runner: Supervised and trained drug ponies in an international corporation. Extensive expertise in pharmaceutical sales, marketing and manufacturing.
Even though this demonstrates good organizational and leadership skills and responsibility, the illegality of the activity makes it the kind of thing that is best left off most resumes.

Good luck!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at samples of good resumes from someone you know who hires people. When I wrote my first resume, my dad brought home about a dozen from work that the HR person told him were good ones.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My job is kind of tricky to describe. I worked retail at a gaming store, and I was usually the only one working. I did everything from cleaning the bathroom to supervising crowds of people for events. Sometimes all I did was just hang out and chat with customers. So...how does this sound?

quote:
Regularly supervised events and gatherings of as many as 30 people, assisted customers and answered questions, attended the register and phone, straightened merchandise and kept the store clean, balanced multiple tasks and responsibilities.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.