FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My love for medieval weapons and armor...

Author Topic: My love for medieval weapons and armor...
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
...has just been taken to a new height.

I found a store at a pretty unknown mall south of where I live today called "Leather Wolffe Creations." It's been there about a year, and they do a very good business, but they don't advertize a whole lot. However, they don't need to- they're owned by The Renaissance Festival.

I've always loved things from the Dark ages and The Renaissance. My dream home is a castle. While all the other little girls wanted to be princesses, I wanted to be a knight. I was highly disappointed when I found out that knights were only guys, but after a period of shock, I decided, "So what? I wanna be a knight anyway."

I was able to swing a broadsword. It was made of spring steel, and can be used for fighting, like the battles they do at the festival. Its blade runs through the handle, so it won't snap off where most other swords are welded on- at the base of the hilt. It comes with a hard leather scabbard and sword belt. When sharpened, it could slice straight through the hood of a car, and slice a chunk off the engine block. At the same time. [Eek!] The soft leather hilt was easy to hold, comfortable in my hands. And it was really, really, light, but INCREDIBLY sturdy. I think I've found my sword.

They had other things there too- helmets, chainmail, battle axes, etc. Don't see something you want? One of their 48 crafters will make it for you. And get this- they CUSTOM MAKE PROM DRESSES. I think I've just found the place to get my dress for senior prom.

This place is heaven. The people there love Renaissance weaponry more than I do. I could spend years in that place. And it's 20 minutes from my house. We have an early release on Wednesday, so a friend and I are going down to check out prom dresses.

Anyone else here love this kind of thing? I don't find many people that do, but I figure, on a site with so many lovers of fantasy, there has to be SOMEONE who adores things like broadswords and chainmail.

[Hail] Leather Wolffe Creations!

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Oh, and you have to love their theft warning sign:

"All shoplifters will be merrily hacked to peices!"

They have a point. Stealing from a guy sitting in front of a giant wall full of swords, axes and spears is probably not the best thing to do. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy who was into all sorts of medieval weapons and armor.

He kept it in his office at work.

He was our Human Resources person.

I'm still not sure if that was a good decision, or a bad decision.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love swords and weapons too.
But I love Japanese armour and weapons even more. They had the best swords ever.
So elegant
So deadly
Oddly enough I am almost a total pacifist.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I just have to ask. What are you envisioning your prom dress looking like?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm not entirely sure yet, Dr Strangelove. I'm going to check out what they offer.
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been into that stuff since I was a little kid, but for me it's armour of the ancient world, Greek and Roman specifically. I want a Corinthian helmet more than just about anything, it's just about the most beautiful piece of headgear ever designed. I spent my childhood drawing Greek and Roman warriors...
This is a Corinthian helmet:
http://www.todoespadas.com/images/Deepeeka/CorintioPenacho.jpg

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
Trinos you should look into the SCA theres alot of women fighters.
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Malaysian battle spatula, myself.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
I've been into that stuff since I was a little kid, but for me it's armour of the ancient world, Greek and Roman specifically. I want a Corinthian helmet more than just about anything, it's just about the most beautiful piece of headgear ever designed. I spent my childhood drawing Greek and Roman warriors...
This is a Corinthian helmet:
http://www.todoespadas.com/images/Deepeeka/CorintioPenacho.jpg

Want!

Reminds me of those Helmets in L of the R... The ones with the wings. Those were cool
*urge to rewatch that movie rising*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my first purchases after college when I had money was a longsword. Not one of the pretty ones, but a real sword with a nice edge already on it. It's not very fancy, but very functional. I took it into the woods behind my apartment at the time and hacked a small pine tree to death because it had angered me [Mad] (Yes, I know you shouldn't do that with a sword, but I had to try it out on something).

I've also got a few morning stars and a very large battle axe.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if I had a flail I'd have accidentally bashed in the back of my head with it. That thought is the only thing that's kept me from buying one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!!!!!!

[Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends brought a bunch of swords home from Germany. Customs had a fit.

They were SO COOL, though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Corinthian helmets. I always have.

As for swords, the only edged weapon I have is a short sword I got at a Ren Faire. It's carbon steel and nicely balanced. [Smile]

OTHER swords, however...I've got antique foils. Then I also have the swords I get to use lots. Epees and foils. Mmmmm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Link to one of my favorite sites for medieval arms.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What, they don't putrefy and the maggots don't eat 'em? And what do you have against medieval legs and torsos anyway? You.. You... legist!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mounted all my weapons high up on the walls. When my son figures out how to get them down on his own, he will be ready.

For now, I'm limiting how many blocks he has to play with at one time. He's pretty good at stacking and climbing.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Proud owner of a sword cane.

I'll echo Synthesia's love of japanese weapons. I hope to own the katana/wakazashi/tanto set some day, but I want to learn some actual kendo first. A sword that's entirely decorative is a little sad to me. Unfortunately neither judo nor poekoelan was much into swords.

I like european weaponry, too, from the raw power of claymores to the elegance of some of the basket-hilted rapiers of the renaissance.

Swords always make me think about Kenobi's comments about lightsabers in Star Wars. The weapons of a more elegant and civilized age. Any fool can use a gun.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Any fool can use a gun.
Any fool can shoot a gun, that's true.

But effectiveness with a firearm is a different matter entirely.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Any fool can use a gun.
Any fool can shoot a gun, that's true.

But effectiveness with a firearm is a different matter entirely.

Agreed, and no offense intended.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trinos you should look into the SCA theres alot of women fighters.
You definitely should not do this, IMO. The SCA is not particularly tolerant of devout Christians and there is a subculture element to it that I would never recommend to a faithful young woman. A full grown adult who knows herself, maybe, but not a teen. I'm not speaking in ignorance -- I was active in the SCA for 13 years. I would never recommend the SCA for anyone under 21 unless their parents were joining too.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I looked into it, jeniwren, but I won't be joining. Number one reason being time. I adore things like that, and I'd love to have the time to do things like metalworking and archery, but I'm getting ready to go into a college Honors program. Ir just ain't gonna happen.

For now, I'll stick with admiring the stuff in the shop window. Maybe saving up and buying some.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Dang
Yall are making me want to buy a sword
But I cannot buy a sword as I must buy several guitars.
And also see Dir en grey...
And buy a car one day...
And a proper bed.

Scott R
Member # 567

Rapier vs. Katana

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.