FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hopes that won't stay down

Author Topic: Hopes that won't stay down
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to control hopes that won't stay down?

There's the possibility I might be able to apply for something that would be just about as cool anything that could happen to a law grad. It's something that I never counted on, would never have regreted not being able to try if I weren't in a position to do so, and don't need to do what I want to do.

But it would be a huge break if it panned out. My status now is "feasible candidate," as in, it's reasonable for me to apply and I have a reasonable (1 in a 100, say) shot at succeeding if I do. It's not something I can do until summer 2007; the only reason I am thinking about it now is that I had to rearrange my schedule for my last semester and take a few steps now.

What's frustrating is now I can't stop thinking about it. I've done what I can for the time being. Now all I have to do is keep doing well in school - something I intended to do anyway. It's gotten to the point that if I don't get it, I'll be terribly disappointed.

And this is something I didn't even care about a couple months ago.

Anyone have any tips on keeping such things in check?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Drain your cares away with a Cherry Limeade at Sonic. I'm serious.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

But I completely sympathize. I'm going through a "how do I not think about this when there's nothing I can do about it right now anyway" phase myself.

edit: Sonic Limeade (while delicious) is ineffective for this malady. I just finished one.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Really? Always worked for me...hmmm. I've got nothing then.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Maybe it was because I had raspberry rather than cherry. And only the large size, not the Route 44 super-duper-extra-large size.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That might be it. I never found the Rasberry was able to do the trick.

Another thing: Find a computer game to get addicted to, then you'll be more worried about playing that. Or some other game. Like Super Smash Bros. Melee or something.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cherry limeade, eh? It's worth a shot. [Smile]

Good luck on your own phase, dkw.

quote:
Another thing: Find a computer game to get addicted to, then you'll be more worried about playing that. Or some other game. Like Super Smash Bros. Melee or something.
If I do that, I won't have to worry about it because I'll mess up my grades. I'm convinced that dropping EQ is what let me do well. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, enjoy the hope itself. If it happens or not, at least you enjoyed the anticipation. Live in the moment, and when it passes, leave it as it should, in the past.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You kicked the EverCrack habit? I'm so proud of you, Dag. Got any tips I can pass along to my bf? I'm assuming WoW addiction is similar enough to work.

And of course, Hatrack is always good for distracting you.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, I thought I would try. You could...write the Great American (Or Whatever Country You Live In) Novel about your schooling or law school, in general. Though this also might be too time consuming and liable to distract you from school work.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag, enjoy the hope itself. If it happens or not, at least you enjoyed the anticipation. Live in the moment, and when it passes, leave it as it should, in the past.
To quote Calvin, "I think that's more mature than I care to be."

Not really, but it's possibly more mature than I can be. It is what I'll be shooting for, though.

quote:
You kicked the EverCrack habit? I'm so proud of you, Dag. Got any tips I can pass along to my bf? I'm assuming WoW addiction is similar enough to work.

And of course, Hatrack is always good for distracting you.

Hatrack is a good mini-break. Can't use EQ that way.

I deleted the files from my hard drive, knowing I'd face a 10-hour patch if I reinstalled.

What inspired me to do so was a couple weeks without reliable Internet - my entire guild left me behind in the Planes.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Chet's not in it for the raids, so that wouldn't work for me. I like the patching bit, but then I couldn't play, either.

Ah well. He'll get sick of it eventually. Of course, he'll just get another.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

When you say EQ, are you referring to EverQuest?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, dude! And good for you. Games can be so addicting. *points to shadow hearts. I need to practice guitar and work on my novel.*

But worse is falling for a person I cannot possibly have, but keep thinking about anyway!
It's getting ridiculous.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Porter had an opportunity like that back in college. Didn't happen. But it didn't stop us from dreaming. [Smile]

I totally misread the intent of the title. "Hopes that won't stay down" as in, "I hope I vomit what I just ate."

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Dreaming is good. [Smile] I hope it pans out, whatever it is.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't played WoW in a week and I think I'm ready to cancel my account. The rewards after 60 just seemed so out of synch with the effort involved.

A couple articles like this one might help. If you're going to compete in a time sink with these people the *best* case is losing horribly; imagine how bad it'd be if you won.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in one of those right now, too.

I find that being horribly, violently ill took my mind off it for a few days. :|

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
When you say EQ, are you referring to EverQuest?
Yes.

quote:
But worse is falling for a person I cannot possibly have, but keep thinking about anyway!
I've become fatalistic about such things, because the person I fell for but couldn't possibly have was so clearly wrong for me that I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

Doesn't mean it hurt any less at the time, though.

quote:
I find that being horribly, violently ill took my mind off it for a few days.
Maybe I should just go back to EQ, then. [Smile]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you can't squash it, indulge it, roll in it, swim in it. Give it full vent until you've worn it out. By that time, you should be able squash it with ease, as it has spent all its energy cavorting.

I can't say this will be 100% effective, but it's what I resort to when I've tried everything else.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that works on harping on someone...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on kicking the EQ habit. I lost more friends to that game. "Can't go out tonight. Must level/quest/tradeskill."

As for hopes.. I dunno what to tell you. I tend to wallow in hopes until they consume me.. then, when they're inevitably crushed, so am I...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Be excited! Be hopeful! Be realistic - I doubt I'll get it, but wouldn't it be great?!

And if it doesn't happen, use what I always use - "It wasn't the right thing for me, so that's why it didn't happen." [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, EQ. I miss my Enchantress (Yes I played a female character even though I'm not female). My wife and I played for a while seperately and then decided for the health of our marraige to get another computer and another account. We had a lot of fun for about a year while stationed in Korea and after achieving 65 (Max level at that time) we decided we needed to finish our college degree's so that we could do grad work when we got out. We went on a month of leave to the states without EQ and came back and gave all of our gear to newbies. Was great fun.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sergeant: I was an Enchantress too (but then, I'm really female) I quit when I hit the level cap that was 60 at the time.

I miss being Blinkle Lilstar sometimes though...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cherry limeade, eh? It's worth a shot."

Maybe you need a shot IN the cherry limeade.

Dag, do not quench your hope. I believe that hopeful energy has power. Corny, maybe, but I really do believe it. I will add to your hope energy.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dag, do not quench your hope. I believe that hopeful energy has power. Corny, maybe, but I really do believe it. I will add to your hope energy.
I think the fact that most of us posting in this thread are telling you to keep hoping says we pretty much agree with that sentiment, Elizabeth.

Keep hoping, Dags!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if it's any consolation, by posting here you've increased the number of people hoping with you. [Smile]

I, for one, am willing to share the burden. (Thought I'm not entirely sure it works that way. [Wink] )

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, KarlEd, that's a great way of looking at it! [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, everyone. That is a great way to look at it Karl and Liz. [Smile]

In that spirit, I'll share the dream. Here's what my advisor said. If I

1.) Get my note published;
2.) Keep my grades up; and
3.) Get an appellate clerkship for 2007-2008

then an application to clerk at the Supreme Court would probably get some attention. Still a long shot (except for top of the class Harvard and Yale, it's always a long shot), but well within the bounds of possibility. UVa sends anywhere from 0 to 4 clerks a year to the Supreme Court.

My main disadvantages: I wasn't on managing board for law review.

My main advanatages: published note (assuming it happens), experience prior to law school, and my Supreme Court case (just to make sure the application is noticed, not so much in actual selection after that).

So that's what I can't stop thinking about.

sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be so exciting!

My older sister is in law school right now, and she keeps telling me all of the exciting things that she could possibly do--playing out senerios like if I get really good grades, and if this happens, and so on.

It is exciting to hear of some one actually charting a path to those exciting things! Mind if I ask what year you are? My sister just finished her first semester, so most of her stories are a ways off, while it looks like you have made some really good progress.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

So . . . if you're a clerk at the Supreme Court does that mean you won't be able to discuss Supreme Court cases online? 'cause I'm not sure I can hope for that. [Monkeys]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Woohoo!!!! Cool beans, Dag! I hope you can get everything set up to make this even more possible!
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I want Dags to suceed for purely selfish reasons.

See, this clerkship will inevitably lead to Dags getting nominated to the SCOTUS in 2015. Of course, we will all be called to DC to testify on his behalf.

Dags-Con 2015: Jatraqueros goes to Washington. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
What does a Supreme Court clerkship entail, exactly - in terms of what you get to do/what it means?

I'm wondering whether it's comparable to a High Court clerkship here, or something different again.

I know it will be more competitive (numbers alone would make it so) but apart from that I have no idea about the differences.

(And... good luck! [Smile] [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just jealous of all of you that can go get a cherry limeade. One of the first things I will do when I'm done with chemo and no longer have this sensitivity to cold is go to Sonic.

But Dag, really that's very cool. However, as you've said you've currently done all you can do your best bet is to try to distract yourself from it. Obsessing over it isn't going to make things happen faster. It will only drive you crazy.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
So . . . if you're a clerk at the Supreme Court does that mean you won't be able to discuss Supreme Court cases online? 'cause I'm not sure I can hope for that. [Monkeys]

Yes, it definitely means that.

Oh, and [Razz] [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Beren One Hand:
I want Dags to suceed for purely selfish reasons.

See, this clerkship will inevitably lead to Dags getting nominated to the SCOTUS in 2015. Of course, we will all be called to DC to testify on his behalf.

Dags-Con 2015: Jatraqueros goes to Washington. [Big Grin]

Nah - I'll be too old for SCOTUS in 2015. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
What does a Supreme Court clerkship entail, exactly - in terms of what you get to do/what it means?

I'm wondering whether it's comparable to a High Court clerkship here, or something different again.

I know it will be more competitive (numbers alone would make it so) but apart from that I have no idea about the differences.

(And... good luck! [Smile] [Big Grin] )

There are 9 justices, each has 4 clerks or so. Each clerk serves 1 term. The clerks do general clerk stuff. Usually they will research a case on the briefs and form an opinion. After the conference where each justice votes on a case, a clerk will draft at least some of the opinion.

Clerks will interact with their justice every day and can influence the justice. They also get insights into how SCOTUS makes decisions that is not available anywhere else.

From a job-hunting perspective, it's a phenomenal boost. I'm not sure if there's anything comparable in any other professions as the advantage a SCOTUS clerkship obtains in future prospects. Firms will grovel and political appointments in Justice or the White House will be available.

This is why I have to remind myself: it's a long shot.

quote:
But Dag, really that's very cool. However, as you've said you've currently done all you can do your best bet is to try to distract yourself from it. Obsessing over it isn't going to make things happen faster. It will only drive you crazy.
True. By 3L, most students can pretty much stop caring about how well they do as long as they don't fail out. I might have fallen into that (maybe not), but now it's not possible.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, good luck! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am hoping! That sounds wonderful for you!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Do you apply to clerk for a specific judge, or just for the court in general and then they pick who they want?

What if you end up with a judge whose judicial philosophy you disagree with? Although I suppose they wouldn't pick you in that case, but what if one did?

Edit: I suppose I'm really not helping you not think about this, am I? [Embarrassed]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Do you apply to clerk for a specific judge, or just for the court in general and then they pick who they want?
You either apply to everyone or have a VERY good reason not to. But each one runs interviews at different times.

You must take the first offer. If you reject an early offer, you won't get another.

quote:
What if you end up with a judge whose judicial philosophy you disagree with? Although I suppose they wouldn't pick you in that case, but what if one did?
All have a tendency to pick at least one clerk with an opposing judicial philosophy. The ones who make the biggest point of it are the Scalia and Breyer - probably the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

Since there's not a single justice sitting (except Roberts - too new) who hasn't written an opinion that's generated a "what the crap are you talking about?" from me, that's probably a good thing.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
From all I can tell about you, Dag, getting you anywhere near a position of influence in this country is probably a good thing, so I'm rooting for you. (Yeah, I know it's not like your up for Supreme Court Justice or anything -- [Razz] -- but still . . .)

We don't always agree on things in the end, but I always feel like you have given due consideration to all sides in an issue. (Because of that you're one of the few people whose disagreement with me really makes me re-examine my position.) It's good to know that you are in the running for good things. I know you'll make a difference wherever you serve. If they don't take you for this it's entirely their loss. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Dagonee, that sounds like such a great experience. I wish you the best of luck. 1 in 100 isn't so bad. I would love the opportunity to even apply to serve a term as a SCOTUS clerk after law school.

I'm nervous about just getting in to law school; I can't even begin to imagine how much more anxious you must be.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I promise not to mention the Asian porn thing when I am intervied by the press, Dag.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend, after deciding that she wanted to one day be the first Asian Supreme Court Justice, actually got rid of her blog and took down her facebook account with the incriminating photos.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thank you, KarlEd. [Blushing]

quote:
I'm nervous about just getting in to law school; I can't even begin to imagine how much more anxious you must be.
It's a roller coaster ride. My advisor said I need to do another research paper, and I was having trouble finding a supervisor for an independent study. This morning, a seminar I had tried to get into had a slot open up.

The context is making little things like that have a far greater emotionally impact: from the end of the world to now everything's OK.

When are you applying for law school?

quote:
I promise not to mention the Asian porn thing when I am intervied by the press, Dag.
I appreciate that, Liz. [Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No problem, Dags.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.